Annual Shot Clock Discussion

Doesn’t look like a shot clock is coming anytime soon.  I say good.  A shot clock isn’t needed in high school basketball and never will be.  

It won’t produce more college basketball players.  

It will “speed the game up” but that comes at a cost as not that many kids playing high school basketball are able to create their own shot.  

It wont totally speed the game up because teams that run clock now will still run the shot clock down to single digits every possession. 

There still wont be enough people to run the shot clocks. 

The cost of these clocks becoming mandatory still isn’t being mentioned enough.  

I still have yet to hear a credible reason as to why shot clocks should be introduced to KY High School Basketball.  Here’s another chance for someone to change my mind.   Good luck.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, Randy Parker said:

I feel like the reasons against a high school shot clock far outnumber the reasons for it.

The only credible (IMO) reason for not having it is money. Beyond that, everything else can adapt to include a shot clock. 

But I'm like you... If they ever get one, cool. If not, that's cool too. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, PurplePride92 said:

Doesn’t look like a shot clock is coming anytime soon.  I say good.  A shot clock isn’t needed in high school basketball and never will be.  

It won’t produce more college basketball players.  

It will “speed the game up” but that comes at a cost as not that many kids playing high school basketball are able to create their own shot.  

It wont totally speed the game up because teams that run clock now will still run the shot clock down to single digits every possession. 

There still wont be enough people to run the shot clocks. 

The cost of these clocks becoming mandatory still isn’t being mentioned enough.  

I still have yet to hear a credible reason as to why shot clocks should be introduced to KY High School Basketball.  Here’s another chance for someone to change my mind.   Good luck.  

Couldn’t agree more. 

2 minutes ago, Randy Parker said:

I'm neither for nor against it.  If it gets adopted, fine.  If not, fine.

Just now, Randy Parker said:

I feel like the reasons against a high school shot clock far outnumber the reasons for it.

I think I'm in agreement with you. If a shot clock was added, I wouldn't complain. But I feel like the two arguments most often presented are:

• Avoid slow down games/possessions: I don't see this happen too often in the season; sometimes during the postseason. I think we give way too much credit to high school kids' ability to run time off the clock. I can only think of one local team that does this with any regularity.
  • Prepare kids for college basketball: First, very few players have the skill set and/or athleticism to play at any higher level (D1-NAIA). Forcing all kids to play at a certain level in order to prepare a handful for college seems disingenuous, especially since the college-level kids spend the entire summer on the AAU circuit where college coaches are actually recruiting.

Add in the extended cost of installing and maintaining two shot clocks, hiring and/or getting a volunteer to run the clock for boys and girls varsity, junior varsity, and freshmen games that is both willing to do it and understands the rules for a shot clock is a tall task for administrators who quite often lack both the resources and man-power.

They have it in college basketball and that's fine. They also have money, television to sell, and a full roster of players who were recruited and chose to play the sport. Why can't high school basketball be for kids to play ball, enjoy themselves, improve their skills and health, and if they're lucky get a chance at playing in college? Why do we have to professionalize every sport at the lowest levels?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DearToday said:

I'm against a shot clock.. but man it sucks when a team stalls the final minute plus of a quarter to get the final shot. Or when a team that's up plays four corners with half the fourth quarter left. 

I hate it too but if the team playing defense would just apply pressure……..🤷🏾‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1