King of the Bluegrass? Or Bologna? Sheppard vs. Ipsaro!

9 minutes ago, Bluesport said:

No one from a losing team should ever win tourney MVP. Ipsaro outplayed him last night, but my point is as JOAT said the winning team should always have a player that gets the award.

I completely disagree. A winning team may very well not have the best performing player. 

We've all saw players carry their team in a tournament only to lose to a better and well balanced team. Just because a team wins it doesn't automatically mean they had the best performing single player.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bluesport said:

No one from a losing team should ever win tourney MVP. Ipsaro outplayed him last night, but my point is as JOAT said the winning team should always have a player that gets the award.

Reed Sheperd had the numbers to back up his selection.  Looks like a good call to me.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bluesport said:

Then that’s not necessarily the MVP of the tournament. If you want to have a championship game MVP, that’s fine. Ipsaro wasn’t better for the tournament, or more valuable for his team. 

• Like 1

Historically, the top player (based on reputation) wins the award if he plays well and Sheppard did. 

Tournament directors want publicity for their tourney and having the well known UK recruit as MVP looks better to the casual BBall fan than Ipsaro , who no one outside of Northern KY knows.    

Just my opinion on why it happened that way.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Bluesport said:

I totally agree. Regardless of supporting cast, level of play by an individual player or abilities of an individual player from a losing team, the losing team should not get the MVP award. The MVP award should alwasy be awarded to a player from the winning team!! ALWAYS! This is a team sport, and regardless of how strong a supporting cast is or isn't, the MVP should go to the winning team.

For those that disagree, basically you are saying that in the NBA if the GS Warriors win the championship versus the Bucks, but Giannis outplays Steph. Giannis should get the MVP? Yeah, not gonna happen. 

22 hours ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Reed Sheppard
(29.75 PPG,  61.5% FG,  34.7% 3PT,  87.8% FT,  7 RebPG)

Opponent Points Field Goals Made Field Goals Attempted 3-Point FG Made 3-Point FG Attempted Free Throws Made Free Throws Attempted Rebounds Assists
Eastern 15 6 11 1 4 0 0 8 Not Available
North Oldham 45 15 19 0 4 15 17 8 Not Available
Dorman (SC) 34 11 21 4 10 8 8 2 6
Cov Cath 25 8 14 3 5 6 8 10 10
TOTAL 119 40 65 8 23 29 33 28  

Just had it pointed out to me that the Hudl stats, compiled from reviewing the game film and not the KOB staff that was recording live in real-time, do not award Sheppard with a triple-double from the KOB finals. They show him with 25 points, 9 rebs, 6 assists.

I realize those aren't the official stats - those come from the game book - but most folks consider the Hudl stats as more accurate because you can rewind and re-review the action.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Shotwhisperer75 said:

For those that disagree, basically you are saying that in the NBA if the GS Warriors win the championship versus the Bucks, but Giannis outplays Steph. Giannis should get the MVP? Yeah, not gonna happen. 

Again, do you want the award to be the best player on the winning team, or the Most Valuable Player? Those aren't necessarily always the same player. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PurplePride92 said:

With the way Reed Sheppard played the entire tournament no one from KY should be surprised that he won MVP.  

Which IMO he deserved.  Ipsaro was clearly deserving as well.  Fortunately for Ipsaro his team won the bigger and more meaningful award.  

That's my honest take too. It's not too tough to make a good argument for either player winning the tournament MVP....but it seems tougher to really have much of a gripe when your team won the title.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, TheDeuce said:

Then that’s not necessarily the MVP of the tournament. If you want to have a championship game MVP, that’s fine. Ipsaro wasn’t better for the tournament, or more valuable for his team. 

To each their own-I am not going argue this.

21 hours ago, Jumper_Dad said:

I completely disagree. A winning team may very well not have the best performing player. 

We've all saw players carry their team in a tournament only to lose to a better and well balanced team. Just because a team wins it doesn't automatically mean they had the best performing single player.

Again-everyone has their own opinions. I just know what I saw what I saw in the Championship game when it was on the line.