Open Job: Dixie Heights

58 minutes ago, Finkle Ray said:

You make some great points here. I’m not so sure the answer is that simple. Coach Brossart was very involved in the Dixie Youth getting back up and running and several Dixie parents were also involved. So there is an investment to get kids in Dixie football. The freshman numbers this year were up significantly to where they could field a legit freshman squad. Injuries played a role in a couple of sophomores getting freshman time this season. The Turkeyfoot coach had the time and availability to be present at youth games… that’s awesome and I love to hear it. How many coaches did Dixie have on staff the last couple seasons? Between JV, Frosh, and Film when would they have the time to do that? 

Yes, he had a hand in getting the program started 3 years ago.  Same goes for CovCath's program.

And I'm not saying the coach needs to be at every game.  However, to stop by a game every now and then goes a long way in building a program, IMO. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, B0bbyB0ucher said:

They have a great coach right down the street at Turkeyfoot. Dave Sebowski, he is a former player of Dixie's, and won a championship in 18, with the group of the upcoming seniors. He has already coached a lot of the kids in that program, and the kids love him. He would be a favorite I would think. He is a hell of a football coach and he would run that program like a well oiled machine. If Dixie is smart that's who they should go with.

Has he ever coached at the high school level at all? Even if just freshman, or JV? Or has he always only been a middle school coach. That is a big difference going from a middle school coach to high school head coach at a 6A team if you never have even coached at any level in high school. 

You can sometimes see that jump from middle school coach to high school head coach at smaller schools. However, it is a lot harder to do at a bigger school. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ChickenWyngz said:

A middle school championship? Not even sure I'd list those on the resume. 

He may be a great coach and probably is but middle school championships mean very little. 

Even Bill Belichick had to start somewhere. So just because it's a middle school championship.  It's more than Brossart had. He knows the program, the kids, and the parents. He is a favorite. You act like he is about to take the reigns at a championship factory. He is a good coach, and will put the work in to make it a good program. 

Edited by Colonels_Wear_Blue
Rule #13 - Capitalization
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, futurecoach said:

Has he ever coached at the high school level at all? Even if just freshman, or JV? Or has he always only been a middle school coach. That is a big difference going from a middle school coach to high school head coach at a 6A team if you never have even coached at any level in high school. 

You can sometimes see that jump from middle school coach to high school head coach at smaller schools. However, it is a lot harder to do at a bigger school. 

I can see some of your points, but this man will bring more kids out to play at a "6a" school. He is a natural leader and the kids will follow him. Many kids were ran off by the last coach. The kids at Dixie want him as their coach, he has been coaching for quite awhile now, can't give you an exact number but it's been years. He is loved in the Dixie program, and he will put in the work, and dedication needed to make Dixie a great program. Varsity, jv, and freshman. 

Edited by Colonels_Wear_Blue
Rule #13 - Capitalization
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, B0bbyB0ucher said:

I can see some of your points, but this man will bring more kids out to play at a "6a" school. He is a natural leader and the kids will follow him. Many kids were ran off by the last coach. The kids at dixie want him as their coach, he has been coaching for quite awhile now, can't give you an exact number but it's been years. He is loved in the Dixie program, and he will put in the work,and dedication needed to make dixie a great program. Varsity, jv, and freshman. 

Is he a teacher at Dixie?

13 hours ago, Finkle Ray said:

If the rumor mill is true there is no support from the administration at Dixie. The principal is a basketball guy. On paper this looks like a great job. But, whoever gets selected for this job may have issues finding open spots for themself, or their staff as teachers in the building. I’m sure some will lobby for the Turkeyfoot middle school coach but he’s not ready for a jump that big to 6A. 

I believe he is ready, he has been getting these kids ready for 6a for awhile now. He will also put some good coaches around him. The man is dedicated,  and the kids in this program love him, he will get the very best out of them. Yes it is a 6a school, but they are putting out numbers of a 4a school. This is the first year they had enough kids to have a freshman team, in quite awhile. He will help with the numbers issue because the parents trust this man with their kids, and the kids want to play for him. He is a former player for dixie, and he bleeds red and grey. No one in the program can say anything but good things about this coach. 

12 hours ago, Finkle Ray said:

Great point. Dixie is a victim of sorts when it comes to geographical location. Beechwood and CovCath are big pulls of kids in the area. There are a couple of incoming seniors that were Dixie freshman and Beechwood kids played pee-wee with Dixie kids. Take your kid to one of two great academic institutions with great sports programs, or Dixie where they will get educated to standard but be in a football program that is sometimes competitive but, won’t typically win anything outside of the region in their class. As a parent, if you have the choice and the means, you give your child the best opportunity to be successful at whatever they do. And when the choice between Dixie and the two schools down the street are presented, that choice is evident. Those Dixie kids that are on the roster bust their butts but will never consistently be as competitive against the other two schools.

Kind of dissed a Dixie education with that "to standard" comment partner.

1 hour ago, B0bbyB0ucher said:

I believe he is ready, he has been getting these kids ready for 6a for awhile now. He will also put some good coaches around him. The man is dedicated,  and the kids in this program love him, he will get the very best out of them. Yes it is a 6a school, but they are putting out numbers of a 4a school. This is the first year they had enough kids to have a freshman team, in quite awhile. He will help with the numbers issue because the parents trust this man with their kids, and the kids want to play for him. He is a former player for dixie, and he bleeds red and grey. No one in the program can say anything but good things about this coach. 

You should be in public relations!!!! 

So I don't think it's a question of whether or not Sekowski is a good coach, because I think it's pretty common knowledge that he is that...and an even better motivator. But, to my knowledge, he's never had a high school coaching gig. Here's where that matters..

Any administration and athletic department - if they have any concern about the well being of their programs or have an ounce of competence - has to open the job up to applicants to see what a wide net catches. This is a 6A county school that has a population of parents thirsty for a football program that is a consistent winner. Casting a wide search could bring very qualified applicants that may want to come to NKY for a variety of reasons. If a search could bring forth a number of experienced, successful coaches with resumes that don't just include middle school football...would you still prefer Sekowski? Due diligence must be done. 

I will say this though....i think a disservice was done to Sekowski - if he has interest in being a high school football head coach - in NOT moving him up last year or two years ago to a position coach or coordinator. There's been a constant revolving door of coaches for years at Dixie, why wasn't he brought up to be given that experience? He more than showed he deserved it. 

Either way, whoever is hired, I hope for the Dixie community that it's someone who turns the program into a consistent winner, values and invests in the youth program in the right way, and focuses on development of freshman and JV players more. 

• Like 2