Jump to content

Open Job: Dixie Heights


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dixie needs someone that's willing to invest in their feeder programs in order to grow the high school program.  Being a 6A school, they haven't been able to field a full freshman squad in at least 5

Who are the likely candidates to show interest in taking charge for the Red Colonels?

The list of assistant coaches is missing a few names. I am not sure of his full name but he was the JV and Freshman head coach for the last 10 years or so under Brossart and may have been the defensiv

They have a great coach right down the street at Turkeyfoot. Dave Sebowski, he is a former player of Dixie's, and won a championship in 18, with the group of the upcoming seniors. He has already coached a lot of the kids in that program, and the kids love him. He would be a favorite I would think. He is a hell of a football coach and he would run that program like a well oiled machine. If Dixie is smart that's who they should go with.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Who are the likely candidates to show interest in taking charge for the Red Colonels?

If the rumor mill is true there is no support from the administration at Dixie. The principal is a basketball guy. On paper this looks like a great job. But, whoever gets selected for this job may have issues finding open spots for themself, or their staff as teachers in the building. I’m sure some will lobby for the Turkeyfoot middle school coach but he’s not ready for a jump that big to 6A. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, B0bbyB0ucher said:

They have a great coach right down the street at Turkeyfoot. Dave Sebowski, he is a former player of Dixie's, and won a championship in 18, with the group of the upcoming seniors. He has already coached a lot of the kids in that program, and the kids love him. He would be a favorite I would think. He is a hell of a football coach and he would run that program like a well oiled machine. If Dixie is smart that's who they should go with.

A middle school championship? Not even sure I'd list those on the resume. 

He may be a great coach and probably is but middle school championships mean very little. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Finkle Ray said:

If the rumor mill is true there is no support from the administration at Dixie. The principal is a basketball guy. On paper this looks like a great job. But, whoever gets selected for this job may have issues finding open spots for themself, or their staff as teachers in the building. I’m sure some will lobby for the Turkeyfoot middle school coach but he’s not ready for a jump that big to 6A. 

You'll find this as a complaint in most open job threads. It's not that school administration doesn't support all athletics or certain athletics, but that support is different. Back in the day if you hired an assistant that was an English teacher the school made a spot for them to make that work, but schools were also filled with coaches who got paid as a teacher for not teaching too. 

Different times. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Dixie needs someone that's willing to invest in their feeder programs in order to grow the high school program.  Being a 6A school, they haven't been able to field a full freshman squad in at least 5 years.  Dixie Youth Colonels is finally in place with people running it for the right intentions.  Sekowski is running a great program at TF, and he is visible at Dixie Youth games.  The high school coach needs to be visible at the middle school and youth programs.  It goes a long way with these kids seeing the high school coach watching them play and interacting with them.  

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

I am just curious, is Dixie probably the "biggest" impacted school on having in district kids that decide to go to a "Private" school? Or is another school maybe more impacted.....

I am just thinking out loud, that has to be demoralizing if a coach "would" invest in the youth/middle school program with those kids to not reap those rewards if those kids don't eventually move into your Dixie High School program.

Or maybe I should state like @nees1212is suggesting maybe that is a missing piece to "keep" those kids from going to a "private" school if they know that the Dixie program is invested in them as a player.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ChickenWyngz said:

You'll find this as a complaint in most open job threads. It's not that school administration doesn't support all athletics or certain athletics, but that support is different. Back in the day if you hired an assistant that was an English teacher the school made a spot for them to make that work, but schools were also filled with coaches who got paid as a teacher for not teaching too. 

Different times. 

Thanks for this perspective. Very different times.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, FrankNicodemus said:

I am just curious, is Dixie probably the "biggest" impacted school on having in district kids that decide to go to a "Private" school? Or is another school maybe more impacted.....

I am just thinking out loud, that has to be demoralizing if a coach "would" invest in the youth/middle school program with those kids to not reap those rewards if those kids don't eventually move into your Dixie High School program.

Or maybe I should state like @nees1212is suggesting maybe that is a missing piece to "keep" those kids from going to a "private" school if they know that the Dixie program is invested in them as a player.

Dixie likely is the biggest impacted school in NKY by private schools.  Dixie's area is also CovCath's primary area (Edgewood, Villa Hills, Park Hills).  From a football standpoint, you don't have the kids playing through TF and then leaving to CovCath like you used to.  Those kids are now playing for CovCath's feeder program even though they attend school at a Dixie feeder.  You will have kids at the starter program leave after a couple years since CovCath's doesn't start until 3rd grade (I think).

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, FrankNicodemus said:

I am just curious, is Dixie probably the "biggest" impacted school on having in district kids that decide to go to a "Private" school? Or is another school maybe more impacted.....

I am just thinking out loud, that has to be demoralizing if a coach "would" invest in the youth/middle school program with those kids to not reap those rewards if those kids don't eventually move into your Dixie High School program.

Or maybe I should state like @nees1212is suggesting maybe that is a missing piece to "keep" those kids from going to a "private" school if they know that the Dixie program is invested in them as a player.

 

2 hours ago, Finkle Ray said:

If the rumor mill is true there is no support from the administration at Dixie. The principal is a basketball guy. On paper this looks like a great job. But, whoever gets selected for this job may have issues finding open spots for themself, or their staff as teachers in the building. I’m sure some will lobby for the Turkeyfoot middle school coach but he’s not ready for a jump that big to 6A. 

Out of curiosity, why do you think the TF coach is not ready for the jump to Dixie? 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, FrankNicodemus said:

I am just curious, is Dixie probably the "biggest" impacted school on having in district kids that decide to go to a "Private" school? Or is another school maybe more impacted.....

I am just thinking out loud, that has to be demoralizing if a coach "would" invest in the youth/middle school program with those kids to not reap those rewards if those kids don't eventually move into your Dixie High School program.

Or maybe I should state like @nees1212is suggesting maybe that is a missing piece to "keep" those kids from going to a "private" school if they know that the Dixie program is invested in them as a player.

Great point. Dixie is a victim of sorts when it comes to geographical location. Beechwood and CovCath are big pulls of kids in the area. There are a couple of incoming seniors that were Dixie freshman and Beechwood kids played pee-wee with Dixie kids. Take your kid to one of two great academic institutions with great sports programs, or Dixie where they will get educated to standard but be in a football program that is sometimes competitive but, won’t typically win anything outside of the region in their class. As a parent, if you have the choice and the means, you give your child the best opportunity to be successful at whatever they do. And when the choice between Dixie and the two schools down the street are presented, that choice is evident. Those Dixie kids that are on the roster bust their butts but will never consistently be as competitive against the other two schools.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nees1212 said:

Dixie needs someone that's willing to invest in their feeder programs in order to grow the high school program.  Being a 6A school, they haven't been able to field a full freshman squad in at least 5 years.  Dixie Youth Colonels is finally in place with people running it for the right intentions.  Sekowski is running a great program at TF, and he is visible at Dixie Youth games.  The high school coach needs to be visible at the middle school and youth programs.  It goes a long way with these kids seeing the high school coach watching them play and interacting with them.  

You make some great points here. I’m not so sure the answer is that simple. Coach Brossart was very involved in the Dixie Youth getting back up and running and several Dixie parents were also involved. So there is an investment to get kids in Dixie football. The freshman numbers this year were up significantly to where they could field a legit freshman squad. Injuries played a role in a couple of sophomores getting freshman time this season. The Turkeyfoot coach had the time and availability to be present at youth games… that’s awesome and I love to hear it. How many coaches did Dixie have on staff the last couple seasons? Between JV, Frosh, and Film when would they have the time to do that? 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Finkle Ray said:

You make some great points here. I’m not so sure the answer is that simple. Coach Brossart was very involved in the Dixie Youth getting back up and running and several Dixie parents were also involved. So there is an investment to get kids in Dixie football. The freshman numbers this year were up significantly to where they could field a legit freshman squad. Injuries played a role in a couple of sophomores getting freshman time this season. The Turkeyfoot coach had the time and availability to be present at youth games… that’s awesome and I love to hear it. How many coaches did Dixie have on staff the last couple seasons? Between JV, Frosh, and Film when would they have the time to do that? 

Very true. Coach Brossart is aware of the need for investing in feeder programs. Not only was he responsible for getting Dixie Youth Football back up and running, he is also largely responsible for getting the Colonel Youth Football program going at Cov Cath along with Bob "Harpo" Morris.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Finkle Ray said:

If the rumor mill is true there is no support from the administration at Dixie. The principal is a basketball guy. On paper this looks like a great job. But, whoever gets selected for this job may have issues finding open spots for themself, or their staff as teachers in the building. I’m sure some will lobby for the Turkeyfoot middle school coach but he’s not ready for a jump that big to 6A. 

Hard to claim the administration at Dixie doesn't support football when the AD has been a close friend of Brossart since the time they started coaching together at Cov Cath. The AD was even on the football team's assistant coaching staff at Dixie.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using the site you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use Policies.