Trinity 38 Ryle 18

TheDeuce

Ryle moved the ball well but T forced TOs to control the outcome. I did not think the Raiders would rack up 300 or so yards of offense but the only stat that matters says 38-18. Solid season by the Raiders. Congrats again to T. I will miss the Ryle seniors who played with such heart and sportsmanship. God bless all of them as they move on to other pursuits.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 859Radio said:

We loved bringing it to the fans!!  This will blow you away. This game was the 4th closest game in the state tonight. CCH was the 3rd closest.  Can’t believe all the blowouts even in the 3rd round. 

It happens every year. That is part of the reason why I get tired of the complaining by people about lopsided scores in the first round and wanting to reduce the playoff teams. Lopsided scores are not a reason to reduce playoff teams.

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, StraightShooter said:

Ryle moved the ball well but T forced TOs to control the outcome. I did not think the Raiders would rack up 300 or so yards of offense but the only stat that matters says 38-18. Solid season by the Raiders. Congrats again to T. I will miss the Ryle seniors who played with such heart and sportsmanship. God bless all of them as they move on to other pursuits.

As I said above, turnovers are a killer. Probably the most important stat in any football game. I hate seeing a team turn the ball over that much because it changes the game so much. If Ryle doesn't turn the ball over, this is a very different game. But that is part of it. The best teams don't turn the football over. 

• Like 3

Kudos to Summer Denigan. I would assume she was the best female kicker in KHSAA history. Her kicking all year was excellent including two well placed pooch kickoffs last night that Ryle players had in their hands first. A night of “what ifs” for sure. The effort was superior, the outcome was disappointing. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, StraightShooter said:

Kudos to Summer Denigan. I would assume she was the best female kicker in KHSAA history. Her kicking all year was excellent including two well placed pooch kickoffs last night that Ryle players had in their hands first. A night of “what ifs” for sure. The effort was superior, the outcome was disappointing. 

How long was the FG she kicked last night?

3 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

How long was the FG she kicked last night?

I believe it was 32-33 yards.  On a cold night also.  She also had two onside kicks that went through legs of or just mishandled by Ryle players.  Some of the best onside kicks i've seen.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 859Radio said:

I believe it was 32-33 yards.  On a cold night also.  She also had two onside kicks that went through legs of or just mishandled by Ryle players.  Some of the best onside kicks i've seen.

She perfectly executed those onside kicks. 

• Like 2

On 11/20/2021 at 8:30 AM, JCVD said:

A lot of talk in the update thread about penalties. Does anyone have a penalty count for both teams?

Stats that were sent to me have Ryle with three penalties (Delay, Offsides, Ineligible) for 15 yards and Trinity with 10 (Holding (5), Encroachment, Delay, Unspecified, PI, and Offsides) penalties for 87 yards.  Trinity also had an Unsportsman Like called on the field goal at the end of the second quarter - assessed on the second half kickoff. 

There were two officiating instances which particularly riled the Trinity faithful:

• A holding call on a 75 yard TD run by Brady Willis.  The casual observer would see this and think "I am not surprised, Trinity had four other holding calls".  The issue with this is prior to the play, during a timeout, one of the Ryle coaches had a discussion with not one, not two, but three officials on the field.  After the timeout, Brady takes the snap and scores.  When Trinity scores on a long run or pass, the experienced (some may say jaded) Trinity fan never celebrates the score until they scan the field for a flag.  Sure enough, the yellow cloth of shame.  This is not a good look for the officials.  It is one thing for a coach to jaw with an official from the sideline, it is another when a coach talks to three officials on the field during a timeout and a flag flies on the next play.  What is interesting about this play is that it does not appear in the play-by-play description I received.  According to my analysis of the play-by-play I don't believe this holding call is included in the Trinity penalty stats.  Where is Earl Warren when you need him?
  • Ryle fumbled a fair catch punt and Trinity recovers.  However, one of the officials prematurely blew his whistle - at what point during the play no one knows.  The officials gathered and determined the need for a do-over because of the inadvertent whistle.  We all understand players stopping at the whistle, what is not understood is how a third round playoff official can blow an early whistle during a punt return.  Punts are dropped all the time regardless of if a fair catch is signaled or not.

We benefit from having officials, they are out there and I am not.

Thanks to Jack H and his source, Todd G, for the stats.

42 minutes ago, Rocks and Cards said:

Stats that were sent to me have Ryle with three penalties (Delay, Offsides, Ineligible) for 15 yards and Trinity with 10 (Holding (5), Encroachment, Delay, Unspecified, PI, and Offsides) penalties for 87 yards.  Trinity also had an Unsportsman Like called on the field goal at the end of the second quarter - assessed on the second half kickoff. 

There were two officiating instances which particularly riled the Trinity faithful:

• A holding call on a 75 yard TD run by Brady Willis.  The casual observer would see this and think "I am not surprised, Trinity had four other holding calls".  The issue with this is prior to the play, during a timeout, one of the Ryle coaches had a discussion with not one, not two, but three officials on the field.  After the timeout, Brady takes the snap and scores.  When Trinity scores on a long run or pass, the experienced (some may say jaded) Trinity fan never celebrates the score until they scan the field for a flag.  Sure enough, the yellow cloth of shame.  This is not a good look for the officials.  It is one thing for a coach to jaw with an official from the sideline, it is another when a coach talks to three officials on the field during a timeout and a flag flies on the next play.  What is interesting about this play is that it does not appear in the play-by-play description I received.  According to my analysis of the play-by-play I don't believe this holding call is included in the Trinity penalty stats.  Where is Earl Warren when you need him?
  • Ryle fumbled a fair catch punt and Trinity recovers.  However, one of the officials prematurely blew his whistle - at what point during the play no one knows.  The officials gathered and determined the need for a do-over because of the inadvertent whistle.  We all understand players stopping at the whistle, what is not understood is how a third round playoff official can blow an early whistle during a punt return.  Punts are dropped all the time regardless of if a fair catch is signaled or not.

We benefit from having officials, they are out there and I am not.

Thanks to Jack H and his source, Todd G, for the stats.

When on the road, I never expect to get favorable calls especially when outside of Louisville.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tigerpride94 said:

When on the road, I never expect to get favorable calls especially when outside of Louisville.

True.

But this was supposed to be one of the best officiating 'crews' and from Lexington. I assume they will get a state final, which maybe they had a bad night but they were bad both ways.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tigerpride94 said:

This game was called pretty much right down the middle. Did the officials miss calls? Of course but you have to remember that there are just a few to the 22 players on the field.

18 minutes ago, KY Outsider said:

This game was called pretty much right down the middle. Did the officials miss calls? Of course but you have to remember that there are just a few to the 22 players on the field.

You didn’t watch the game if you think it was called down the middle. 

• Like 1