Trinity 38 Ryle 18

TheDeuce

46 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

No it wasn't. 

I was at the game. I commented several times that Trinity held so much, is was like the officials were like I just threw a flag for holding don't wanna throw it again. Not saying Ryle was without missed calls, but it seemed they could have thrown it every play. The discussion that took place with 3 officials had to do with the blatant PI that wasn't called against T where defender turned receiver. So T got the benefit of several missed calls. 

17 hours ago, Rocks and Cards said:

Stats that were sent to me have Ryle with three penalties (Delay, Offsides, Ineligible) for 15 yards and Trinity with 10 (Holding (5), Encroachment, Delay, Unspecified, PI, and Offsides) penalties for 87 yards.  Trinity also had an Unsportsman Like called on the field goal at the end of the second quarter - assessed on the second half kickoff. 

There were two officiating instances which particularly riled the Trinity faithful:

• A holding call on a 75 yard TD run by Brady Willis.  The casual observer would see this and think "I am not surprised, Trinity had four other holding calls".  The issue with this is prior to the play, during a timeout, one of the Ryle coaches had a discussion with not one, not two, but three officials on the field.  After the timeout, Brady takes the snap and scores.  When Trinity scores on a long run or pass, the experienced (some may say jaded) Trinity fan never celebrates the score until they scan the field for a flag.  Sure enough, the yellow cloth of shame.  This is not a good look for the officials.  It is one thing for a coach to jaw with an official from the sideline, it is another when a coach talks to three officials on the field during a timeout and a flag flies on the next play.  What is interesting about this play is that it does not appear in the play-by-play description I received.  According to my analysis of the play-by-play I don't believe this holding call is included in the Trinity penalty stats.  Where is Earl Warren when you need him?
  • Ryle fumbled a fair catch punt and Trinity recovers.  However, one of the officials prematurely blew his whistle - at what point during the play no one knows.  The officials gathered and determined the need for a do-over because of the inadvertent whistle.  We all understand players stopping at the whistle, what is not understood is how a third round playoff official can blow an early whistle during a punt return.  Punts are dropped all the time regardless of if a fair catch is signaled or not.

We benefit from having officials, they are out there and I am not.

Thanks to Jack H and his source, Todd G, for the stats.

good summary!  What effect does the "inadvertent whistle" even matter when it was a fair catch? he cant advance the ball, he shouldn't drop the ball because of a whistle, this happened right in front of the Trinity fans and no one heard anything.  The holding call was trash.  These penalties always come on a momentum shift in the game. We never "hold" on a 3 yard run up the middle, its always on a fantastic play.  We got sideline warnings but Ryle coach is out on the field with all 3 refs after he wanted a PI call.  Next play is the hold.  Then an unsportsmanlike penalty on our kicker making a 40 plus field goal and him jumping up and down?  The reffs made sure there would be no running clock, and were very involved in the flow of the game. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, 859sports said:

I was at the game. I commented several times that Trinity held so much, is was like the officials were like I just threw a flag for holding don't wanna throw it again. Not saying Ryle was without missed calls, but it seemed they could have thrown it every play. The discussion that took place with 3 officials had to do with the blatant PI that wasn't called against T where defender turned receiver. So T got the benefit of several missed calls. 

It happens virtually every time a Louisville team is playing away from Louisville in the playoffs. Call it a bias, a difference in officiating, whatever you'd like. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheDeuce said:

It happens virtually every time a Louisville team is playing away from Louisville in the playoffs. Call it a bias, a difference in officiating, whatever you'd like. 

Both teams had parents complaining. I get it, parents will be parents but you have to accept that the officials aren't out there to play favorites and should be appreciated for their efforts. 22 players on the field make it hard for 5 guys to keep track of, not to mention the other 100 or so players on the sidelines and couple dozen coaches.

2 minutes ago, KY Outsider said:

Both teams had parents complaining. I get it, parents will be parents but you have to accept that the officials aren't out there to play favorites and should be appreciated for their efforts. 22 players on the field make it hard for 5 guys to keep track of, not to mention the other 100 or so players on the sidelines and couple dozen coaches.

I've been an official, you don't need to explain to me how difficult the job is.

10 to 3 in penalties is in no way "down the middle." 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

I've been an official, you don't need to explain to me how difficult the job is.

Is it not possible that one team committed more penalties than the other? Or is football just strictly subjective now?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheDeuce said:

My point is that the officials called the game pretty even. I saw the hold after hold since I have always tended to watch the line of scrimmage more closely than most people do. If you can, go back and watch film and see it for yourself.

Now, I didn't agree with the fumbled punt being replayed, that was clearly Trinity's ball and that would be the only big mistake by the crew.

1 minute ago, KY Outsider said:

My point is that the officials called the game pretty even. 

Again, there's nothing even about 10-3. 

If your opinion is that Trinity was holding and Ryle wasn't, that's your prerogative. The fact is, the game wasn't called even.  

Couple of thoughts.... do you want fair or even? Being in public education this topic is addressed a lot, even is everyone getting the same. Fair is everyone getting what they need. So, was the officiating unfair or uneven? Would you be satisfied if both teams had 10 penalties or if both teams only had three penalties? It would be even, but may not have been fair.

Second thought, do we really think the six or seven guys on the field care who wins, instead of doing their best job? I'm a firm believer that high school officials are working to do their best and not worried about the overall outcome of the game, instead focused one play at a time, and doing their job correctly. Maybe that's because my grandfather was a HOF KFOA official, my dad is a retired HOF KFOA, and my brother is a Sun Belt official. But if fans want to think officials have a bias or are out to get their team then just sounds like a Friday night that will be frustrating no matter the outcome. 

Just my two cents, carry on. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, LongTimeReader said:

Couple of thoughts.... do you want fair or even? Being in public education this topic is addressed a lot, even is everyone getting the same. Fair is everyone getting what they need. So, was the officiating unfair or uneven? Would you be satisfied if both teams had 10 penalties or if both teams only had three penalties? It would be even, but may not have been fair.

Second thought, do we really think the six or seven guys on the field care who wins, instead of doing their best job? I'm a firm believer that high school officials are working to do their best and not worried about the overall outcome of the game, instead focused one play at a time, and doing their job correctly. Maybe that's because my grandfather was a HOF KFOA official, my dad is a retired HOF KFOA, and my brother is a Sun Belt official. But if fans want to think officials have a bias or are out to get their team then just sounds like a Friday night that will be frustrating no matter the outcome. 

Plus high school refs don't have the benefit of replay or anywhere near fair pay for their efforts.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, LongTimeReader said:

I’m glad you mentioned KFOA. I am biased admittedly, and think that is the best organization in the state. 

Are they not calling all these penalties on Louisville teams during the season? (That is rhetorical, if it isn’t obvious.) Why when a Louisville team travels outside the Snyder are they often penalized more than their opponents, and more than during the regular season?

We see it every year in the finals… An officiating crew that is out of their league and has no business being there.