Brisket Recipes

Beechwoodfan

On 10/29/2021 at 5:41 PM, rjs4470 said:

My mother in law used to make brisket a really simple an easy way with only a few ingredients.

1 onion

12 oz of Chili sauce

1 cup brown sugar

1 can of beer (some use Coca Cola instead).

3-4 lbs brisket

Preheat oven to 325. Season the brisket with S&P and put into large baking dish. Cover with sliced onion. Mix the other ingredients together in a bowl and pour over the brisket. Cover with foil and bake for 3 hours. Remove the foil and continue baking for another 1/2-45 minutes. Let rest for 30 minutes and slice. 

This method was my first exposure to brisket, and I loved it. Haven’t had it cooked this way in a long time, and probably need to do it sometime soon. 

My sister in law makes beef roast in pretty similar fashion. I've never asked for her recipe, but the basics are meat, veggies, a can of Coke (I would think if you're using Coke, you'd probably at least cut back hard on the amount of brown sugar), some thyme & rosemary, and then she uses a combination of Worcestershire, dijon mustard, and I think maybe a little balsamic vinegar or and or something like that.

Seals the whole thing as tightly as she can get it in aluminum foil so it simmers in all the juice and steam the whole time, and just lets it cook away in the oven until it reaches temperature. Even though she has it all sealed up in aluminum foil, I've seen her pulling it out of the oven all sitting in a casserole dish, though, so I'm gonna assume it's tough to keep a "hobo packet" that size watertight, haha.

Not much experience here on the brisket know-how?  Sorry.  The wife doesn't like it and my best friend runs the Community Que BBQ Food Truck here.  That's where I get it for myself.  Following though to see the suggestions. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, jvdfc said:

Not much experience here on the brisket know-how?  Sorry.  The wife doesn't like it and my best friend runs the Community Que BBQ Food Truck here.  That's where I get it for myself.  Following though to see the suggestions. 

I will say, a lot of the reason I don't have an abundance of brisket recipes is because it's just awfully damn expensive to buy and cook. I think the only things I've got less experience with than the brisket is beef tenderloin and rib roast.

Lol, it's all directly proportional to the price per pound in the butcher's case at the store.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

@JDEaston @Jim Schue ...either of you two have much experience with brisket?

@Pete W, @MBWC41, @jvdfc, @MJAlltheWay24 You're a few others I know I've seen around cooking threads. Any brisket know-how?

I’ve always bought my brisket from a local guy who smokes it for me.

All the slow cooker recipes I’ve looked at call for liquid smoke. 

Sorry, don’t think I’m going to be much help on this one…

When I had my Akorn grill I Wanted to cook a brisket just never had the time and money at the same time.  Then with Covid meat prices went crazy now don’t want to spend that much on a meat that can be hard to cook.  If prices ever go down will try it now that I have a pit boss pellet grill

16 hours ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

I will say, a lot of the reason I don't have an abundance of brisket recipes is because it's just awfully damn expensive to buy and cook. I think the only things I've got less experience with than the brisket is beef tenderloin and rib roast.

Lol, it's all directly proportional to the price per pound in the butcher's case at the store.

The price for brisket (and beef in general)is out of control right now. About a year ago, I picked up 10 briskets from Kroger when they had it on sale for $1.99/lb. each one was between $25-$35. I just smoked the last two a few weeks ago for a family party. Walmart used to almost always have brisket regularly priced at $2.79-$3.29/lb and I would pick one up if I happened to be near the meat and saw it. Now when I see it in stores, it’s as high as $11.99/lb and on sale for $6.99/$7.99. 

You mention Tenderloin, and I always used to have a few of those on hand in my freezer. GFS was my go to spot to buy that. They often had it on sale for $7.99/$8.99 per lb, and you could snag a whole tenderloin for $50-$60. I haven’t shopped for one recently, but I’m guessing that’s at least double the price now too.

39 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

The price for brisket (and beef in general)is out of control right now. About a year ago, I picked up 10 briskets from Kroger when they had it on sale for $1.99/lb. each one was between $25-$35. I just smoked the last two a few weeks ago for a family party. Walmart used to almost always have brisket regularly priced at $2.79-$3.29/lb and I would pick one up if I happened to be near the meat and saw it. Now when I see it in stores, it’s as high as $11.99/lb and on sale for $6.99/$7.99. 

You mention Tenderloin, and I always used to have a few of those on hand in my freezer. GFS was my go to spot to buy that. They often had it on sale for $7.99/$8.99 per lb, and you could snag a whole tenderloin for $50-$60. I haven’t shopped for one recently, but I’m guessing that’s at least double the price now too.

Off topic, but have you seen the recent story about cattle farmers branding together to create their own meat processing and cut down on consumer costs/increase their revenue? It will be interesting to follow and I'm sure, somehow, "big beef" will find a way to ruin the entire plan for them. 

51 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

No joke on the cost. If you're getting the full brisket at my local butcher shop, $90+/- is what you should expect to pay.

So, I know you are dying to know how the brisket competition went…..and the winner by a close margin was ME!  Mine ( courtesy of  CWB) is the top and the mister’s is below.   Truth be told, all the food was great.  Hats off to Colonels_Wear_Blue!  His recipe was delicious and I already froze the leftover broth for soup!

060FDA68-590F-4BFD-BB9A-409B159061F9.jpeg

CBF8BE53-6EA0-4F2E-8019-C67D26043743.jpeg

• Like 3