Brisket Recipes

Beechwoodfan

Bought a big brisket on sale.  The mister usually smokes it in the Big Green Egg.  I get tired of The smokey flavor.  Anybody have any good brisket recipes that are not smokey?

I should add that the mister and I are going to cut it in half and cook our own recipe.  May the best cook win and I want it to be me!

11 minutes ago, Beechwoodfan said:

Bought a big brisket on sale.  The mister usually smokes it in the Big Green Egg.  I get tired of The smokey flavor.  Anybody have any good brisket recipes that are not smokey?

I am like you, I love brisket but not smokey brisket. 

53 minutes ago, Beechwoodfan said:

I should add that the mister and I are going to cut it in half and cook our own recipe.  May the best cook win and I want it to be me!

12 minutes ago, Beechwoodfan said:

And, he gets the oven, I get the crock pot, but would like to see a variety of recipes.

Great idea, what a fun marriage.

I am interested in any crock pot recipes for brisket too.

If you're not smoking it, the only two things I know to do with a brisket are to make Corned Beef or make Italian Beef with it.

Corned beef is made by curing the meat, so that takes some time; I use kind of my own combination of this NY Times' recipe and this recipe from the Food Network's Alton Brown (I substituted pink curing salt for saltpeter since it's about impossible to find saltpeter). I'm not sure how much time you've got on your hands, but I promise, homemade corned beef is WELL worth the time and very minimal effort.

Plus, if you make homemade corned beef, then you're only some veggies, a crock pot, and a 6-8 hours away from Crock Pot Corned Beef & Cabbage.

Martha Stewart's Crock Pot Corned Beef & Cabbage.

(2) celery stalks, cut into 3-inch pieces
(3) carrots, cut into 3-inch pieces
(1) small yellow onion, cut into 1-inch wedges (root end left intact)
(1/2) pound small potatoes, halved if large
(6) sprigs thyme
(1) corned beef brisket (about 3 pounds)
(1) tablespoon pickling spice
(1/2) head Savoy cabbage, cut into 1 1/2-inch wedges
Grainy mustard, for serving

In a 5-to-6-quart slow cooker, place celery, carrots, onion, potatoes, and thyme. Place corned beef, fat side up, on top of vegetables and sprinkle with pickling spice; add enough water to almost cover meat (4 to 6 cups). Cover and cook on high until corned beef is tender, 4 1/4 hours (or 8 1/2 hours on low). Arrange cabbage over corned beef, cover, and continue cooking until cabbage is tender, 45 minutes (or 1 1/2 hours on low). Thinly slice corned beef against the grain and serve with vegetables, cooking liquid, and grainy mustard.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Martha Stewart's Crock Pot Corned Beef & Cabbage.

(2) celery stalks, cut into 3-inch pieces
(3) carrots, cut into 3-inch pieces
(1) small yellow onion, cut into 1-inch wedges (root end left intact)
(1/2) pound small potatoes, halved if large
(6) sprigs thyme
(1) corned beef brisket (about 3 pounds)
(1) tablespoon pickling spice
(1/2) head Savoy cabbage, cut into 1 1/2-inch wedges
Grainy mustard, for serving

In a 5-to-6-quart slow cooker, place celery, carrots, onion, potatoes, and thyme. Place corned beef, fat side up, on top of vegetables and sprinkle with pickling spice; add enough water to almost cover meat (4 to 6 cups). Cover and cook on high until corned beef is tender, 4 1/4 hours (or 8 1/2 hours on low). Arrange cabbage over corned beef, cover, and continue cooking until cabbage is tender, 45 minutes (or 1 1/2 hours on low). Thinly slice corned beef against the grain and serve with vegetables, cooking liquid, and grainy mustard.

You can buy pickling spice at basically any major grocery store. They'll either have it in the spice aisle, or by all of the pickling and canning supplies. If not, you can make it yourself with stuff you can easily buy in the spice aisle at any major grocery:

(2) tablespoons whole black peppercorns
(2) tablespoons whole mustard seeds
(2) tablespoons whole coriander seeds
(2) tablespoons whole allspice berries
(2) tablespoons whole cloves
(2) tablespoons crushed red pepper flakes
(1) tablespoon ground mace
(1) tablespoon ground ginger
(2 to 4) dried bay leaves, crushed
(2) small cinnamon sticks, broken into the smallest pieces you can manage

Here's my Italian Beef recipe. It takes some time, but man is it goo. If you're cutting your brisket in half so you and your husband each get to use half, this recipe works just as well with the brisket point as it does with the brisket flat.

Braised Italian Beef:

(6) pounds beef brisket, approximately
(2) 32 ounce cartons beef stock (enough to cover the brisket)
(1) 25 ounce bottle of semi-dry or dry red wine
(1) 14.5 ounce can crushed tomatoes
(2) medium onions, finely diced
(2) cloves garlic, crushed
(2) stalks celery, diced
(1) carrot, diced
(2) tablespoons olive oil
(6) fresh basil leaves
(4) anchovies or (2) teaspoons anchovy paste
(2) bay leaves
(2) sprigs fresh rosemary
(3) sprigs fresh thyme
(3) tablespoons tomato paste
(1/4) cup balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste

1.) Preheat oven to 250°F.
2.) In a large dutch oven or large, deep, heavy pot, heat the 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium-high heat and brown/sear all sides of the brisket. After browning, remove brisket from the dutch oven and set aside.
3.) In the same dutch oven/pot, add the onions, garlic, celery, carrots, basil, anchovies, bay leaves, rosemary, and thyme. Cook, stirring until everything is well browned.
4.) Add the wine, and allow it to heat on its own until it has just began to boil, and then add in crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, beef stock, and balsamic vinegar. Make sure to stir in tomato paste so it "dissolves" into the braising liquid.
5.)  Place the brisket into the braising liquid in the dutch oven/pot. Make sure it's just covered by the liquid, but try to also keep it resting on top of the veggies. Cover with lid or foil and place in the oven for 6-7 hours until the meat is fork tender. May take a little longer depending on the given size of the brisket.

Gremolata Mayonnaise:

(You don't have to make it as a topping or condiment...but trust me, you haaaaave to make it as a topping/condiment.)

(1) cup real mayonnaise, like Sir Kensington's *
(1/4) cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
(1) clove garlic, finely minced or run through a garlic press
Zest of 1 lemon.
Juice of 1/2 lemon.
Salt and pepper, to taste

* The more "real deal" the better, so if you ever home-make mayo, it's worth it.

1.) Fold all ingredients into the mayo and and whip until evenly distributed. Make sure to allow it to chill in the fridge for 1-2 hours prior to serving so flavors have time to combine.

You can eat the brisket just on it's own...a side of rice pilaf or risotto would go well. I always keep some of the braising liquid to pour over the meat before adding the gremolata mayo. Or you can take the pulled brisket chunks and serve it on a crispy white Italian roll or baguette. When I do it this way, I like it don up like a traditional Italian Beef sandwich - sopping wet with the braising liquid - so I'll usually do it as an open-faced sandwich. Split the roll and spread a thin layer of the gremolata mayo on each side, then pile it with chunks of brisket, pour a couple-few spoonfuls of braising liquid over it all, and then maybe another dollop of gremolata mayo on top.

2 minutes ago, theguru said:

I can be lazy with food.  Something I can throw all in the crock pot without a million ingredients and it will be solid. 

I was just giving you some crap. Truth be told, those are my only two brisket recipes, aside from smoking it, so I'm all for finding a nice and easy one myself.

I do know that Kroger sells "corned beef brisket" in their meat section, ready to go for the crock pot. It comes in a vaccu-sealed bag, already in the brine, and has a little plastic packet of pickling spice included in the vaccu-sealed bag as well. So then for corned beef and cabbage, all you need to to is empty the brisket and provided spices into the crock pot, add some veggies (chopped celery, carrots, onion, taters, and cabbage), set it...

ron-popeil-set-it-and-forget-it.gif

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

I was just giving you some crap. Truth be told, those are my only two brisket recipes, aside from smoking it, so I'm all for finding a nice and easy one myself.

I do know that Kroger sells "corned beef brisket" in their meat section, ready to go for the crock pot. It comes in a vaccu-sealed bag, already in the brine, and has a little plastic packet of pickling spice included in the vaccu-sealed bag as well. So then for corned beef and cabbage, all you need to to is empty the brisket and provided spices into the crock pot, add some veggies (chopped celery, carrots, onion, taters, and cabbage), set it...

ron-popeil-set-it-and-forget-it.gif

What's new! 🙂

• Haha 1

My mother in law used to make brisket a really simple an easy way with only a few ingredients.

1 onion

12 oz of Chili sauce

1 cup brown sugar

1 can of beer (some use Coca Cola instead).

3-4 lbs brisket

Preheat oven to 325. Season the brisket with S&P and put into large baking dish. Cover with sliced onion. Mix the other ingredients together in a bowl and pour over the brisket. Cover with foil and bake for 3 hours. Remove the foil and continue baking for another 1/2-45 minutes. Let rest for 30 minutes and slice. 

This method was my first exposure to brisket, and I loved it. Haven’t had it cooked this way in a long time, and probably need to do it sometime soon. 

• Like 3

Just now, rjs4470 said:

My mother in law used to make brisket a really simple an easy way with only a few ingredients.

1 onion

12 oz of Chili sauce

1 cup brown sugar

1 can of beer (some use Coca Cola instead).

3-4 lbs brisket

Preheat oven to 325. Season the brisket with S&P and put into large baking dish. Cover with sliced onion. Mix the other ingredients together in a bowl and pour over the brisket. Cover with foil and bake for 3 hours. Remove the foil and continue baking for another 1/2-45 minutes. Let rest for 30 minutes and slice. 

This method was my first exposure to brisket, and I loved it. Haven’t had it cooked this way in a long time, and probably need to do it sometime soon. 

Way more my speed, thanks!