Student-athletes Reclassifying is a good thing, right?

theguru

3 minutes ago, TyroneBigsby said:

And according to the post that Guru quoted, this is happening all over the region? I don’t buy it. I absolutely haven’t seen it. I know plenty of kids who were held back in kindergarten or first grade because of maturity or development concerns, sure. I don’t know of a single kid within 4 years in either direction of my sons who has intentionally stayed back. And they’re supposedly some of the best athletes in northern Kentucky? Well who are they, and which year of middle school did they give up?

I don't know of it happening much in N. Ky. Down state it happens more frequently. A couple years ago there is a school in eastern KY that had something like 8 or 10 players all decide together to hold back their 8th grade year to try and win a state title together. 

1 hour ago, theguru said:

The reality, we personally know individuals in almost every large NKY district that were “held back” prior to 9th grade.  This is very common in the sports world.  No one comments on these reclass kids.  Some of these kids are some of the best athletes in NKY.

News to me.

It should have been every school doing it or no school I believe. Those teams that had kids reclass will be better because of it for the foreseeable future. Just my opinion but if you were a school that didn’t allow or didn’t have any Reclass kids you are playing catch-up to those that did. 

Look at Russellville for example, I think they had 10-12 seniors reclass or something along those lines. Would Beechwood be as good without Hergott? Paducah had a number of kids reclass as well. 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, WKY_Football said:

It should have been every school doing it or no school I believe. Those teams that had kids reclass will be better because of it for the foreseeable future. Just my opinion but if you were a school that didn’t allow or didn’t have any Reclass kids you are playing catch-up to those that did. 

Look at Russellville for example, I think they had 10-12 seniors reclass or something along those lines. Would Beechwood be as good without Hergott? Paducah had a number of kids reclass as well. 

This is a good start on this topic.  Everyone does it or nobody does it.  Number 1 reason and only reason in my opinion should have been for ACADEMICS.  It is clear from the excerpt that Guru posted that academics were just a part of it.  The thing that caught my eye was the statement about being able to graduate early.  That is the telling sign to me that the main reason was SPORTS and it was being hidden under the veil of Covid and other things related to it.

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, Jack of all Trades said:

This is a good start on this topic.  Everyone does it or nobody does it.  Number 1 reason and only reason in my opinion should have been for ACADEMICS.  It is clear from the excerpt that Guru posted that academics were just a part of it.  The thing that caught my eye was the statement about being able to graduate early.  That is the telling sign to me that the main reason was SPORTS and it was being hidden under the veil of Covid and other things related to it.

This 100% is the true situation in most cases IMO. 

Thoughts. 

Kids are held back every single year between K-8. KHSAA passed a law a couple of years ago that allows them to play without sitting out. Nobody was crying then. 

Was it good for the kids who stayed back? An extra year at home being a kid, an extra year playing high school sports, an extra year in K-12 educational setting, the kid is probably getting more playing time and more exposure, so I mean for that student, then yes absolutely. 

What if it was only done for sports? I would hope everyone on this forum knows that sports might be the best educational tool that ever existed. Sports are an education! The best education I ever got was on the basketball court.

Does this mean others will suffer because that kid who stayed back is going to benefit? Yes, because that’s how society works. Is it that kids fault for staying back? No. Every student had the opportunity. When opportunity comes knocking… you take it. Some people watch it others respond. 

Don’t be mad you didn’t respond. Btw our team only had I think 3 stay back in High School grades. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, gcbleedblue said:

Thoughts. 

Kids are held back every single year between K-8. KHSAA passed a law a couple of years ago that allows them to play without sitting out. Nobody was crying then. 

Was it good for the kids who stayed back? An extra year at home being a kid, an extra year playing high school sports, an extra year in K-12 educational setting, the kid is probably getting more playing time and more exposure, so I mean for that student, then yes absolutely. 

What if it was only done for sports? I would hope everyone on this forum knows that sports might be the best educational tool that ever existed. Sports are an education! The best education I ever got was on the basketball court.

Does this mean others will suffer because that kid who stayed back is going to benefit? Yes, because that’s how society works. Is it that kids fault for staying back? No. Every student had the opportunity. When opportunity comes knocking… you take it. Some people watch it others respond. 

Don’t be mad you didn’t respond. Btw our team only had I think 3 stay back in High School grades. 

48 other states didn’t respond. For a reason. It’s a stupid rule that was clearly going to be taken advantage of. And it was, by nearly every one of these kids, parents and programs who participated. Do you really think that the majority of these kids did it for academics? Really?  

• Like 1

No speculation about Politics:

Any mention, discussion, and media regarding politics or political figures is expressly prohibited on BluegrassPreps. This includes, but is not limited to the mention or names of any elected or publicly appointed officials, both domestic and foreign, by name, title, or by the offices held (e.g. - president, governor, chancellor, mayor, minister, senator, congressman, commissioner, attorney general, county clerk, magistrate, Beshear, Clinton, Lincoln, Merkel, Obama, Putin, Reagan, Roosevelt, Trudeau, Trump, etc). Any direct references or inferences to political terminology and activities, (e.g. - government, Democrat, Republican, GOP, conservative, liberal, campaign, lobby, legislature, filibuster, caucus, etc) and anything else deemed political in nature by the BGP staff is also prohibited from the site. Likewise, this also includes 3rd party links to articles that are political in name or in nature. Additionally, the use of names/nicknames deemed by the BGP staff as references to political figures (e.g. - Andy, Donald, Tricky Dick, Slick Willy) will not be permitted on BluegrassPreps.

Keeping in mind BGP's core purpose as a sports-discussion community, discussion of the the managing bodies specifically serving over high school, college, amateur, and professional sports leagues (KHSAA, NCAA, IOC, MLB, MLS, NBA, NFL et al), along with the officers, officials and the titles held by the individuals within those organizations is permitted on BGP. Similarly, high school and college/university administrators and officials, when discussed in a strictly non-political manner, are all permissible on BGP.

9 minutes ago, TyroneBigsby said:

48 other states didn’t respond. For a reason. It’s a stupid rule that was clearly going to be taken advantage of. And it was, by nearly every one of these kids, parents and programs who participated. Do you really think that the majority of these kids did it for academics? Really?  

I see sports and academics one in the same. So if someone does it for “just sports,” then they did it for part of their education. 

If we don’t agree with this then you’d have to argue to just privatize sports.

Any mention, discussion, and media regarding politics or political figures is expressly prohibited on BluegrassPreps. This includes, but is not limited to the mention or names of any elected or publicly appointed officials, both domestic and foreign, by name, title, or by the offices held (e.g. - president, governor, chancellor, mayor, minister, senator, congressman, commissioner, attorney general, county clerk, magistrate, Beshear, Clinton, Lincoln, Merkel, Obama, Putin, Reagan, Roosevelt, Trudeau, Trump, etc). Any direct references or inferences to political terminology and activities, (e.g. - government, Democrat, Republican, GOP, conservative, liberal, campaign, lobby, legislature, filibuster, caucus, etc) and anything else deemed political in nature by the BGP staff is also prohibited from the site. Likewise, this also includes 3rd party links to articles that are political in name or in nature. Additionally, the use of names/nicknames deemed by the BGP staff as references to political figures (e.g. - Andy, Donald, Tricky Dick, Slick Willy) will not be permitted on BluegrassPreps.

Keeping in mind BGP's core purpose as a sports-discussion community, discussion of the the managing bodies specifically serving over high school, college, amateur, and professional sports leagues (KHSAA, NCAA, IOC, MLB, MLS, NBA, NFL et al), along with the officers, officials and the titles held by the individuals within those organizations is permitted on BGP. Similarly, high school and college/university administrators and officials, when discussed in a strictly non-political manner, are all permissible on BGP.