Our Reds!!

The Reds have overperformed slightly this year. Most people had them at .500 preseason. At one point the Reds were 14 games over .500, which was predicted by no one. Bell has done very well with what the front office gave him to work with. The only pickup of any value is Givens. Rip on the front office all day long. Trading Iglesias is one of the worst Reds moves in the last 10 years.

3 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

The Reds have overperformed slightly this year. Most people had them at .500 preseason. At one point the Reds were 14 games over .500, which was predicted by no one. Bell has done very well with what the front office gave him to work with. The only pickup of any value is Givens. Rip on the front office all day long. Trading Iglesias is one of the worst Reds moves in the last 10 years.

If you say so.  To me, Bell is an unemotional, non-motivating, make excuses, let the lunatics run the asylum coach, and our team is a rudderless ship, with a free-swinging revolving door roster, made up of a lot of past-prime, and non-championship caliber players.  Bell isn't much different than Dusty Baker only he doesn't doze off quite as often. To show my ignorance, I don't know who Iglesias is unless he played for us a couple of seasons back.  Go back and read my post "As I see it" from just after the All-Star break and I am pretty much spot on with all of my observations. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mustang said:

If you say so.  To me, Bell is an unemotional, non-motivating, make excuses, let the lunatics run the asylum coach, and our team is a rudderless ship, with a free-swinging revolving door roster, made up of a lot of past-prime, and non-championship caliber players.  Bell isn't much different than Dusty Baker only he doesn't doze off quite as often. To show my ignorance, I don't know who Iglesias is unless he played for us a couple of seasons back.  Go back and read my post "As I see it" from just after the All-Star break and I am pretty much spot on with all of my observations. 

We can only hope that Bell has the same success as Dusty Baker. That would be great.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

We can only hope that Bell has the same success as Dusty Baker. That would be great.

As long as Bell is manager,this team will win nothing! To compare him to dusty,is a insult to Baker. Again,just Cincy fans settling for mediocre !!! IMHO !!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, k'd looking said:

As long as Bell is manager,this team will win nothing! To compare him to dusty,is a insult to Baker. Again,just Cincy fans settling for mediocre !!! IMHO !!!

Couldn’t agree more!!  Baker has forgotten more baseball than Bell will EVER know, it’s not close!!!  If Dusty was the manager I honestly believe this team would’ve been in the playoffs!!  When neutral commentators are questioning a manager on national tv that’s just another example of how bad he is!!!  He just can’t manage, Givens is the closer for 4-5 games then all of a sudden he comes in in the 6th inning of a game, relievers just aren’t wired like that!!!  Counsel with the Brewers is a perfect example of how to use a bullpen and it shows!!!  Asdrubal Cabrera in a key pitch hitting situation, give me a break, Bell is a clown!!

9 hours ago, k'd looking said:

6 hours ago, 16thBBall Fan said:

Couldn’t agree more!!  Baker has forgotten more baseball than Bell will EVER know, it’s not close!!!  If Dusty was the manager I honestly believe this team would’ve been in the playoffs!!  When neutral commentators are questioning a manager on national tv that’s just another example of how bad he is!!!  He just can’t manage, Givens is the closer for 4-5 games then all of a sudden he comes in in the 6th inning of a game, relievers just aren’t wired like that!!!  Counsel with the Brewers is a perfect example of how to use a bullpen and it shows!!!  Asdrubal Cabrera in a key pitch hitting situation, give me a break, Bell is a clown!!

Check out the post I was replying to. My post does not say Bell is as good as Baker.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, nkypete said:

The Reds really didn't have a chance once the Cardinals started on a 12 game winning streak.  I don't think anybody thought the Cards would sweep the Brewers in Milwaukee.

If the Reds had played .500 ball against that crappy schedule they had over the last month they would still be tied with the Cardinals.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mustang said:

And both would be embarrassingly double-figures behind the Dodgers.

Baseball has been played since 1869 - for 152 years. The Big Red Machine is considered one of the greatest teams in 152 years of baseball. That appears to be your expectation for the Reds. I am sorry to tell you that you will be disappointed every year for the rest of your life because a Reds team like that isn't happening again in your lifetime.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Baseball has been played since 1869 - for 152 years. The Big Red Machine is considered one of the greatest teams in 152 years of baseball. That appears to be your expectation for the Reds. I am sorry to tell you that you will be disappointed every year for the rest of your life because a Reds team like that isn't happening again in your lifetime.

I'm with you.  Unfortunately, that is the measuring stick that a lot of fans use (and not just here on BGP).  They want players to be "loyal" to the city/club, not realizing that those players back then had no choice.  You were a prisoner of the team.  For better or worse, free agency changed that forever...and like you said, it's not going to change.

Other things that make me shake my head is the two sides of the coin that are often pitted against each other (many times by the same person).  We don't want someone in a slump out there...but, when we make a change to a different player, it's now a revolving lineup.  So and so isn't good enough to be here, but we complain when a rookie is brought up to take their spot.  It's almost like if we have a lineup of veterans out there, we're too old...but, if we start some rookies, now we're suddenly too young.

Yes, it'd be nice to field a team with 6 or 7 future Hall of Famers.  But, so would everyone else.  The Mike Trouts of the game don't grow on trees.  It's not as easy to go out and suddenly makeover your squad when you're not the Dodgers or the Yankees.  Heck even the Cubs and Red Sox have gone into rebuild mode recently, and they actually WON a World Series.  No doubt, the Reds have a lot of questions heading into next year.  But, expecting them to become the '75 BRM is not going to happen.

• Like 2