Kentucky Basketball 2021/22

20 hours ago, Tomcats1990 said:

That’s on CAL. Kid should have been a backup at most. Mintz should have started point all season and probably KY doesn’t have a 9-16 record. 

I don't dispute that at all, hence my point he is not UK material and never would have been.  Cal is dependent on the guards that can create for themselves and others (his offense is rather outdated and needs some updating), Askew does neither.  He created for the other team with his turnovers and air balls.  It was a huge swing and miss when Cal gambled their season on him running the show.  Then you throw Boston in next to him and this team had no chance.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bjknku02 said:

Ok, which means he is 6'1" at most.  He got abused all year long and you could see he was not going to cut it from the first game.  Not his fault, totally on Cal for putting all his eggs in Askew basket.  Just like Quade Green several years ago, he is not a high level D-I guard.  I believe a perfect place for him is a school like NKU.  He can go to UCLA, with the year they had, the kid will be the 12th man on that team the next 3 years.  They are going to be loaded from here on out, Mick can coach and recruit.  Calipari has to have a dominant guard for his teams to go anywhere and Askew was never going to be that, hence the reason I am sure he was told or saw the writing on the wall.      

You might be right in that he can't cut it at a high major school. If that is the case then every talent evaluator and school in America misread that. Fine. But to say he isn't big enough is just flat out wrong. If that is the case, Baylor had two guys his size or smaller starting last night. Heck, most teams do these days.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bjknku02 said:

I don't dispute that at all, hence my point he is not UK material and never would have been.  Cal is dependent on the guards that can create for themselves and others (his offense is rather outdated and needs some updating), Askew does neither.  He created for the other team with his turnovers and air balls.  It was a huge swing and miss when Cal gambled their season on him running the show.  Then you throw Boston in next to him and this team had no chance.   

The only reason Askew was on a college roster this year was because Cal thought he had Cunningham locked up.

That didn’t pan out and he had to ask Askew to reclassify. Kid should have been playing high school ball this year...

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, MBWC41 said:

The only reason Askew was on a college roster this year was because Cal thought he had Cunningham locked up.

That didn’t pan out and he had to ask Askew to reclassify. Kid should have been playing high school ball this year...

No doubt about that.

2 hours ago, bjknku02 said:

Lets circle back in three years and see who was right.  I like my chances a lot!  

You saying he doesn’t have the size is simply not true at all. Considering plenty of guys his size play at high level places. His size was not the problem or even close to being a problem. 

24 minutes ago, MJAlltheWay24 said:

Can we keep in mind that Clarke would've been PG for +80% of the season had he not gotten injured.

That is the thing people seem to keep forgetting. Clarke was already starting to transition to being the guy running the point when he got hurt. Then even the one game he came back to play, he was running the point when he was in. 

On 4/5/2021 at 8:37 PM, bjknku02 said:

To me a perfect spot would be a school like NKU, just doesn't have the size for a high level school.

Texas and a guy some on here said they wanted to possibly replace Cal in Chris Beard seem to disagree with this thought. 

15 hours ago, futurecoach said:

Texas and a guy some on here said they wanted to possibly replace Cal in Chris Beard seem to disagree with this thought. 

Lets sit back and see how much playing time the kid next year, it won't be much.  If he wants to be a bench warmer, he could have done that at UK.  The kid plays hard, just doesn't have the talent for a high D-I team.  NKU would have been perfect for his skill set.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bjknku02 said:

Lets sit back and see how much playing time the kid next year, it won't be much.  If he wants to be a bench warmer, he could have done that at UK.  The kid plays hard, just doesn't have the talent for a high D-I team.  NKU would have been perfect for his skill set.  

Well at least you said talent this time and not size like you did last time. You saying he didn’t have the size is what brought out all the replies, because that was just flat out not true. Now if you feel like he just isn’t talented enough that is fine, because everyone has their opinion. However, this is now the second top coach who has believed he has the talent. Which I would be willing to bet, that there were other bigger schools who called him too that wanted him. I honestly I wouldn’t be surprised if NKU didn’t even reach out to him,  because they knew they would have no chance. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, futurecoach said:

Well at least you said talent this time and not size like you did last time. You saying he didn’t have the size is what brought out all the replies, because that was just flat out not true. Now if you feel like he just isn’t talented enough that is fine, because everyone has their opinion. However, this is now the second top coach who has believed he has the talent. Which I would be willing to bet, that there were other bigger schools who called him too that wanted him. I honestly I wouldn’t be surprised if NKU didn’t even reach out to him,  because they knew they would have no chance. 

Well because he was lacking in talent, it was hard for him to make up for his offensive and defensive inefficiencies.  If the kid was taller, I believe he could have made up for some of those issues.  He couldn't create space for his offense and defensively struggled.  Had he had a couple additional inches, he may have had a little easier time trying to make up for what he lacked.  Kid was put in a bad position by Cal and was never going to live up to the expectations.  You could see from his summer workouts with Boston and Clarke he was going to struggle.  I just wonder at what point Cal realized Askew was not going to cut it. 

Really hope KY can land this kid. Jai Lucas started recruiting him and CAL and KY have offered him a scholarship. CAL needs Guards. The Transfer from WVA on a Zoom interview last night said CAL has told him he will be playing a lot more 4 out 1 in Offense this season.

A93C1119-0AE1-4374-AED2-2AE62A662720.jpeg

6 hours ago, bjknku02 said:

Well because he was lacking in talent, it was hard for him to make up for his offensive and defensive inefficiencies.  If the kid was taller, I believe he could have made up for some of those issues.  He couldn't create space for his offense and defensively struggled.  Had he had a couple additional inches, he may have had a little easier time trying to make up for what he lacked.  Kid was put in a bad position by Cal and was never going to live up to the expectations.  You could see from his summer workouts with Boston and Clarke he was going to struggle.  I just wonder at what point Cal realized Askew was not going to cut it. 

I would say early on when he started to have Clarke run the point, but then when Clarke got hurt. He seemed to try to let Askew grow into it, and he had a little stretch in January when he looked better. Then went back down hill after that. 

• Like 1