End of the NFL Pro Bowl?

If I was a player and the beating that I had taken through a grueling NFL season, I'd have no desire to play in the Pro Bowl.  

Didn't it used to be in Maui?  Depending on if I had a family at the time or not, I'd maybe take the free vacation but be "too injured" to play the game.

- Yes, it was cancelled because of COVID.

- By far the play in the Pro Bowl is the worst to watch than any other sport because you can't fake a physical contact sport.

- Why has it continued? If you think MLB and the NBA have superior products, then ratings don't reflect it. The Pro Bowl is on par viewership wise, showing how popular the sport is. So why has it continued? Because the players and league like to make money.

- You are kidding yourself if you think broadcasting a skills competition will draw the same viewership (they've had skills competitions the last several years that nobody watches). There is a reason the HR derby and dunk contest don't draw as well as the actual game.

1 hour ago, MJAlltheWay24 said:

If I was a player and the beating that I had taken through a grueling NFL season, I'd have no desire to play in the Pro Bowl.  

Didn't it used to be in Maui?  Depending on if I had a family at the time or not, I'd maybe take the free vacation but be "too injured" to play the game.

Aloha Stadium in Honolulu hosted the game starting in 1980; the move to Orlando was recent. I believe the stadium has now been condemned.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TheDeuce said:

NBA and MLB are fun IMO.

The NHL has a fun way of doing it too.

But the NFL just isn't worth it for the injury risk.  I've always argued that the Pro Bowl would be better served as a series of skill competitions (like the old Quarterback Club shows).  Have some 40 yard dashes, obstacle courses, passing competitions, etc. from those selected.  Could make for some fun TV.

1 hour ago, bugatti said:

- You are kidding yourself if you think broadcasting a skills competition will draw the same viewership (they've had skills competitions the last several years that nobody watches). There is a reason the HR derby and dunk contest don't draw as well as the actual game.

Never said it did, or would.  Just pointing out something that used to be done.

I think what was trying to be said about the MLB and NBA having superior products, was about their actual all-star games.  They more closely resemble the actual regular season product, compared to the current Pro Bowl stuff (where there's very little hard hitting going on).  The reason why it still holds it's own against the other two in TV ratings has more to do with the fact that it fills an end-of-season void prior to the Super Bowl, while the other two are mid-season, when you've still got another 40-80 games you can watch.

2 minutes ago, CincySportsFan said:

Never said it did, or would.  Just pointing out something that used to be done.

I think what was trying to be said about the MLB and NBA having superior products, was about their actual all-star games.  They more closely resemble the actual regular season product, compared to the current Pro Bowl stuff (where there's very little hard hitting going on).  The reason why it still holds it's own against the other two in TV ratings has more to do with the fact that it fills an end-of-season void prior to the Super Bowl, while the other two are mid-season, when you've still got another 40-80 games you can watch.

They've had skills competitions the last few years. Nobody watches them.

I still think the NFL has been angling to enhance their awards show as the Pro Bowl supplement for about a decade now.

12 hours ago, bugatti said:

They've had skills competitions the last few years. Nobody watches them.

I still think the NFL has been angling to enhance their awards show as the Pro Bowl supplement for about a decade now.

I think if you take away the Pro Bowl completely, and make the skill contest the focus. The ratings would be much better, than it has been as a lead up to the pro bowl. 

Plus honestly making better skill competitions, and make it more off position. The skill competition stuff they did the last few years wasn’t good at all. 

They use to have the QB skill challenge, which has multiple challenges. They had Wide Receivers one. Which I remember the one was like the coming out party for Chad Johnson, where people really got to know him. When he dominated this catching contest that had footballs drilled at them by a jugs machine. 

So I do believe if the skill contest was the main thing, and no game. With them really talking it up, and also making the skill contest actually better like they use to be. Then it would see at worst similar ratings, but better to watch. However, that’s just me. 

9 hours ago, futurecoach said:

I think if you take away the Pro Bowl completely, and make the skill contest the focus. The ratings would be much better, than it has been as a lead up to the pro bowl. 

Plus honestly making better skill competitions, and make it more off position. The skill competition stuff they did the last few years wasn’t good at all. 

They use to have the QB skill challenge, which has multiple challenges. They had Wide Receivers one. Which I remember the one was like the coming out party for Chad Johnson, where people really got to know him. When he dominated this catching contest that had footballs drilled at them by a jugs machine. 

So I do believe if the skill contest was the main thing, and no game. With them really talking it up, and also making the skill contest actually better like they use to be. Then it would see at worst similar ratings, but better to watch. However, that’s just me. 

I'm just not sure the players would be any more interested in attending a skills competition. The big draw for the Pro Bowl for the players was two things--the trip to Hawaii, and the money. Just hosting a skills competition only rewards skill players. Not sure what skills competition you could have for Defensive players or lineman. If the game were to go away, no way the players association would sign on for just a skills competition because only a select few positions would benefit. And honestly, beyond QB's throwing at targets/for distance, what skills could you showcase that you'd really want to watch? Watching receivers catch balls thrown at them from a jugs machine doesn't sound like a ratings winner to me. There's just not enough interesting football "skills" outside the concept of the game itself to really put on a whole show based on skills.

8 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

I'm just not sure the players would be any more interested in attending a skills competition. The big draw for the Pro Bowl for the players was two things--the trip to Hawaii, and the money. Just hosting a skills competition only rewards skill players. Not sure what skills competition you could have for Defensive players or lineman. If the game were to go away, no way the players association would sign on for just a skills competition because only a select few positions would benefit. And honestly, beyond QB's throwing at targets/for distance, what skills could you showcase that you'd really want to watch? Watching receivers catch balls thrown at them from a jugs machine doesn't sound like a ratings winner to me. There's just not enough interesting football "skills" outside the concept of the game itself to really put on a whole show based on skills.

Yep.

And again, there have been skill competitions for years and the NFL is not made up of dummies. If they thought they could profit more by watching a Safety record their vertical jumps, they would be doing it. And yes, skills competitions typically showcase a select few folks. They ain't paying Josh Allen  $75,000 to fly to Orlando to throw footballs through a moving tire.

7 hours ago, rjs4470 said:

First things first, I do agree the pro bowl should be back in Hawaii. Game or not, that definitely is a big benefit that the players enjoyed. 

Secondly, I think the players wouldnt mind the skill contest, instead of the actual game. Most players are more concerned with getting hurt in a meaningless game. So it literally almost already is flag football, because of the fear of getting hurt or not wanting to hurt someone while hitting them. Most already don’t really care about the game, just the being recognized as a pro bowler. 

With that said good point on the lineman. That would be the hard thing finding something for them. For the lineman, they could possibly do like a worlds strongest man competition. Or have them do like a run, pass, kick competition. 

You can also do one on ones for skill guys with WRs, DBs, and QBs throwing. Shoot could even make it really interesting, and somehow use some of those old American Gladiator type events for the players. 

Either way currently right now, players care about being named to the pro bowl. However, they don’t seem to actually care about playing the actual game, because getting injured in the pro bowl could cost them money or derail their career sort of like Tyler Eifert. 

If the Pro Bowl game itself is no longer there, and they do nothing but promote the skill competition instead. Then I do think the ratings would at least be comparable to what the game itself has been. 

I know Bugatti mentioned they have done some skills competitions lately, but they also haven’t really promoted it at all, and the skill competitions they used just weren’t that Great lol. Like baseball does for the Homerun derby, and NBA for dunk and three point contest. With the NFL as popular as it it, if that is the main focus, and they actually promote it. Then I do think ratings would at least be comparable. 

I know I’m probably in the minority with that, because I know I don’t watch the pro bowl anymore, because it’s not really football. Now I would watch skill contest though, but that’s just me.