Open Job: Danville

As a longtime local, I have no idea what the shortlist for this position would even be, especially with the way Clevenger was let go.  The recent grievances about board-mandated cuts to parts of the team and Danville's fiscal situation also make this job less attractive than it used to be.  I hope the new coach gets a chance, but the community is up in arms about this opening so whomever gets it is walking into a hornet's nest.

• Like 2

I believe there are a number of former Danville players that HC and AC throughout the state. So if they open this up to interviews you might get a decent amount apply. Considering how this looks from the outside hiring a former player might be the best bet. Someone that knows the community, program history and willing to look past some things because it’s home. If you bring in someone with no real connections I think you better knock it out of the park. If anything the HHS job has shown how hard that is. 

The former coach is very well known so those interested in the job will have no issue finding information out about all the red flags and pitfalls of the current situation. 

1 hour ago, barrel said:

Considering how this looks from the outside hiring a former player might be the best bet. Someone that knows the community, program history and willing to look past some things because it’s home. If you bring in someone with no real connections I think you better knock it out of the park. If anything the HHS job has shown how hard that is. 

Cleavenger  was a former player, was he not?  I think it is just the opposite.  Former players in coaching will steer clear.  The problem is the non-Danville gypsy administration that has not a clue nor a care about Danville football.  Until Danville HS people are back in charge of running Danville HS this is going to be tough.

• Like 3

One thing that will also make it difficult to get information about the interview process/candidate list is that the Advocate Messenger eliminated its sports coverage.  They don't even have a story about the situation posted, for example.

But yes, Clevenger was a hometown graduate to answer you BillNye.  There will be big shoes to fill for the next coach in terms of community relations, player developments, and success on the field.  The last few years have been tough in the win-loss column, but Danville has been young, played a tough schedule, and played in the toughest district in 2A.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, DanvilleFan said:

One thing that will also make it difficult to get information about the interview process/candidate list is that the Advocate Messenger eliminated its sports coverage.  They don't even have a story about the situation posted, for example.

But yes, Clevenger was a hometown graduate to answer you BillNye.  There will be big shoes to fill for the next coach in terms of community relations, player developments, and success on the field.  The last few years have been tough in the win-loss column, but Danville has been young, played a tough schedule, and played in the toughest district in 2A.

What a shame!  Back in the day the Advocate provided great coverage of high school sports. 

• Like 5

This was written by a former teammate of Coach Clevenger shortly after the 2017 state title.  The writer holds 3 state championship rings as a player for the ADS and is a dear friend of mine.

Ghost In Blue Memory #10:

: A native son. He inherited a football program from a coaching legend. The coaching legend that molded him into an All-State lineman for the Admirals. He played on two undefeated teams and just led another as its head coach. I could stop there, I suppose, and everyone would draw an accurate conclusion about the caliber of man I am writing about. But to stop there is an injustice to him, his family, and the players he coached to victory this Saturday and over his entire coaching tenure for that matter. That glosses over the steadfast commitment, thoughtful compassion, and insightful mentorship he gives to his players. If you see him driving at 5:30 a.m. during the off season, I guarantee you he has a truck full of players headed towards the weight room for 6 a.m. preseason workouts. Not because he needs to drag them out of the house, but otherwise they can't come. Clay realizes football is about so much more than winners and losers. He knows it is a meaningful opportunity for developing young men into strong adults that one day will be great husbands and fathers. He inspires and encourages the players and holds a high standard that produces critical discipline, but he delivers it with compassion and useful lessons built in. I observed this one morning in the weight room during an offseason workout as his team prepared for the 2016 season. He pointed out a player going through a demanding powerlifting regime that didn't appear to be doing his best. He walked over and stood in front of the young man and demanded he do what he was capable of instead. He was firm and relentless until the kid was past the mental block and performed to his highest capability. He came back over to me with a big smile on his face and said, "He is going to be great! You should see him play! I think he can be D 1" He was so excited for the kid and being able to help him, he was almost oblivious to the fact he had to get in the kid's wheel house to perform. He gives every young man that is willing to commit the opportunity to benefit from his program. Talent does not matter. He is a true man of character that dedicates his life to fostering the same enduring bond with his community that he shares with his own family. The most visible proof of this is the '17 Admirals who earned a place in the "Best of All-time" conversation Saturday. But the true testament to Clay's greatness will be years from now when successful fathers and husbands return to their old stomping ground and with a hug and slap on the back say "Thanks Coach, I wouldn't be where I am today without you."

• Like 4

On 1/29/2021 at 10:46 PM, DanvilleFan said:

As a longtime local, I have no idea what the shortlist for this position would even be, especially with the way Clevenger was let go.  The recent grievances about board-mandated cuts to parts of the team and Danville's fiscal situation also make this job less attractive than it used to be.  I hope the new coach gets a chance, but the community is up in arms about this opening so whomever gets it is walking into a hornet's nest.

There are a couple of good things about the job.  They do have a very good class the next two years and the Super is in year three of a four year contract and I can't imagine she will be retained. 

Of course they are in Somerset and LCA's district and it looks kinda of thin after that really good class. 

1 hour ago, 1&ONLY44 said:

Hearing his name also with Clark County opening 

Some former college teammates of his are from/played and or live in Winchester.  Some older Danville guys there as well. Probably where that has came from. 

I’m surprised they haven’t hired yet, though. 

16 minutes ago, Harry Doyle said:

Some former college teammates of his are from/played and or live in Winchester.  Some older Danville guys there as well. Probably where that has came from. 

I’m surprised they haven’t hired yet, though. 

Sorry, I was referring to Josh Jaggers.