Cleveland to drop "Indians" name.

Jumper_Dad

Other suggestions have been Spiders, a tip of the cap to their name in the late 1800's.  Cy Young was on that team.  Another name suggestion has been the Cleveland Naps, a reference to star play Nap Lajoie, and also used by the team in the early 1900's.  It went from Naps to the Cleveland Molly Maguires in 1911 and to the Indians in 1915.  Sometime prior to being called the Naps, they were the Bronchos (that is the correct spelling).  

Spiders outfielder, Louis Sockalexis is credited with being the first Native American to play major league baseball.  The Cleveland Indians have long cited Sockalexis as the inspiration for their name, but that claim is disputed by a sports writer who pointed out that he was a relatively minor player and used to endure war whoops, and other stereotypical taunts directed at him.  

For the record, I'm not in favor of any of those suggestions.  

How about Lakers or Great Lakers, to differentiate from the NBA Lakers?  Or something related to ships and sailing, given the reliance on Lake Erie for a lot of commerce throughout history.  

• Like 1

On 12/17/2020 at 5:18 PM, OlDog75 said:

Cleveland Commodores

Cleveland Standards (Standard Oil)

Cleveland Polka Kings

For those who think you might be kidding, when I was a kid in the 70's and living in North East Ohio, my family watched a TV show called Polka Varieties out of Cleveland.  It was hosted by Paul Wilcox (a Korean war hero, btw) and Frank Yankovic (Weird Al's father).  The Cleveland area has lots of East Europeans who love this music (for instance, Stipe Miocic MMA Heavyweight Champ).  Though not East European, my Dad had an accordian, but thankfully didn't play it very often.  Any way, we watched that hour-long show almost every week.  

As an aside, Paul Wilcox was on his 10th mission on a B 29 that got shot down.  He gave his parachute pack to another guy on the plane, picked up a loose chute and jumped out.  He survived but was captured, reportedly, by the Chinese.  He was held in solitary confinement for part of his year-long imprisonment as they were trying to get him to confess to taking part in germ-warfare.  His family didn't know he survived until he was released after the war.  

Hmmmm... Cleveland Polka Kings?  Nah, doesn't have a ring to it.  

• Like 1