Open Job: Highlands

theguru

Just to clear up a few points that are technically true -- even if it sounds like they are not in this case:

*Public jobs are supposed to be posted for 30 days (if there is an immediate need -- this period can be waved--at least that is the way I interpet what I am seeing in front of me). 

*Principals have ultimate hiring/firing authority for the schools in which they are employed (that doesn't mean that they can't be held account/responsible for the decisions that they make--but it is 100% their decision as to who they hire). 

Opinion:

I doubt that Highlands is anywhere near close to announcing a name at this point. Still plenty of time to continue to to collect applications based on the 30 day rule. Still plenty of time for coaches to apply. (And they better make sure they follow the 30 day guideline for one simple reason -- football just ended in Kentucky and is still going on in a lot of other states--I figured I would throw that in since so many Highlands fans are convinced that the Kevin Kelly's of the world are lining up to apply in Fort Thomas!). 

Hiring Committees (aka--Make People Feel Like they are Important and Part of the Process Committee's) are important in some places and not so important in others. In this case, unless we know who the committee members are -- then there is really no reason to speculate as to what their true role will be. 

I am still extremely skeptical as to why the people of Fort Thomas think that they are going to attract the type of coach who immediately puts Highlands back at the top of the heap. Between the unrealistic perception of reality of the fans, horrendous real estate prices and the numerous additional issues -- its a much tougher sell than what the faithful realizes. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, gbballfan21 said:

*Public jobs are supposed to be posted for 30 days (if there is an immediate need -- this period can be waved--at least that is the way I interpret what I am seeing in front of me). 

Job was posted to the district's job listing page on December 7th. That means January 6th with be 30 days.

With that said, Don Owen of the NKY Tribune reported that Highlands AD Wes Caldwell stated that his intent is to have the position filled by Christmas.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, observerbynature said:

@gbballfan21, you may have some valid points, but your unprovoked assault on the real estate market was a bridge too far.   Good day, sir.   #sarcasm

My apologies! I am a frustrated home owner in a different area of the Tri-State. Actually--it may border on jealousy that I am not able to sell my house for the same price as other houses in Fort Thomas that are not even half of our square footage!

• Like 1

I've also been thinking a lot about this whole "unrealistic fan base" thing.  I don't know how many of you listen to that NKY HS Football podcast, but if you don't, you should,  it's so well done.  But they were interviewing Noel Rash this past episode after Beechwood's state title and they spent a good time talking about the "culture" at Beechwood.  They specifically referenced the alumni at the games with their state championship rings, clothes and expectations and the culture that breeds around the program.  I guess it just got me thinking that we seem pretty willing to view this whole concept of "culture" very differently when a program is winning as opposed to when its struggling.   Aren't these many of the exact same things that are lauded at Beechwood currently, but when expressed in Fort Thomas, the reaction seems to be one of an out of touch fan base not accepting the reality that they're just going to be mediocre now.     

I don't know, like most things, the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle, but it had me thinking and my wife is no longer entertaining my random high school football thoughts for the remainder of the year, so I thought I'd use this as my journal.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, observerbynature said:

I've also been thinking a lot about this whole "unrealistic fan base" thing.  I don't know how many of you listen to that NKY HS Football podcast, but if you don't, you should,  it's so well done.  But they were interviewing Noel Rash this past episode after Beechwood's state title and they spent a good time talking about the "culture" at Beechwood.  They specifically referenced the alumni at the games with their state championship rings, clothes and expectations and the culture that breeds around the program.  I guess it just got me thinking that we seem pretty willing to view this whole concept of "culture" very differently when a program is winning as opposed to when its struggling.   Aren't these many of the exact same things that are lauded at Beechwood currently, but when expressed in Fort Thomas, the reaction seems to be one of an out of touch fan base not accepting the reality that they're just going to be mediocre now.     

I don't know, like most things, the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle, but it had me thinking and my wife is no longer entertaining my random high school football thoughts for the remainder of the year, so I thought I'd use this as my journal.   

Bingo!!!!!!  You hit the nail on the head.  All about the “culture” around the program.  Staff had little to no interest in kids after they graduated.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, observerbynature said:

My first thought here ... Highlands to Beechwood isn't an apples to apples comparison at this time. If Coach Rash leaves--and there is a 4 to 6 year downturn in the program at Beechwood I would venture to say that there is a high likelihood that you would be correct. We truly don't know--and won't know until Coach Rash leaves. Hopefully that won't happen for a few more years at least!

At the same time--the Beechwood faithful seemed to pick up on the impact of Ginger Webb much, much, much quicker than what the Highlands faithful did. (Which is really interesting -- because it directly impacted the players that both programs were taking in -- and then no longer taking in). Beechwood seemed to eventually figure that out -- then went to work fixing it (not as quickly as people would have liked). You still have Highlands people who don't have a clue of what really happened. Then you compound that with the fact that the "Fort Thomas Mafia" is apparently absolutely convinced that they have had enough talent to be just as good as they used to be since all this happened -- makes me think that any new, informed coach coming into Highlands better double check and make sure that there are no more Ginger Webb's waiting in the wing--simply because you have a component of the population who isn't seeing the forest through the trees.  Nothing against the homegrown talent--but it is abundantly clear that you need a few kids from outside of your city limits to push you over the limits. (I don't think anyone from Beechwood would disagree with that -- after Ginger left--but there were probably quite a few who may have felt that way before she completely choked out athletics in general -- and not just football at Beechwood). 

If my Ginger Webb diatribe doesn't make sense -- here it is in a nutshell -- Ginger closed off the pipeline of great players coming from out of district. I think the faithful liked that a little too much -- and it was/is significantly easier to blame that on the previous coach/staff by saying "the talent is there" -- Ha, ha! Malarkey! (I think there is a great base of talent there--but the ones who put things over the top are no longer coming--and when they do--they leave--Pretty QUICKLY!)  I think Dale saw the writing on the wall and realized with Aunt Ginger involved -- that things were not going to be manageable for him either. So he left--and left in a pretty interesting way (not questioning the family motives--but I think the timing is something he probably would have worked around differently a few years earlier). If you can prove me wrong--fire at will. 

Whether it is Beechwood, Highlands or Po Dunk U -- Coaches have more options today than they used to. If you are good--you have a little more power to set your own course. I simply don't think that is possible at Highlands right now. And I don't think it is possible until the "faithful" takes a long look in the mirror and admits that they need to go backward before they go forward. If they make that commitment upfront to a great coach--they have a chance to get someone of top caliber. If they continue to walk around without acknowledging reality --- I think it will be tough sledding. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, gbballfan21 said:

My first thought here ... Highlands to Beechwood isn't an apples to apples comparison at this time. If Coach Rash leaves--and there is a 4 to 6 year downturn in the program at Beechwood I would venture to say that there is a high likelihood that you would be correct. We truly don't know--and won't know until Coach Rash leaves. Hopefully that won't happen for a few more years at least!

At the same time--the Beechwood faithful seemed to pick up on the impact of Ginger Webb much, much, much quicker than what the Highlands faithful did. (Which is really interesting -- because it directly impacted the players that both programs were taking in -- and then no longer taking in). Beechwood seemed to eventually figure that out -- then went to work fixing it (not as quickly as people would have liked). You still have Highlands people who don't have a clue of what really happened. Then you compound that with the fact that the "Fort Thomas Mafia" is apparently absolutely convinced that they have had enough talent to be just as good as they used to be since all this happened -- makes me think that any new, informed coach coming into Highlands better double check and make sure that there are no more Ginger Webb's waiting in the wing--simply because you have a component of the population who isn't seeing the forest through the trees.  Nothing against the homegrown talent--but it is abundantly clear that you need a few kids from outside of your city limits to push you over the limits. (I don't think anyone from Beechwood would disagree with that -- after Ginger left--but there were probably quite a few who may have felt that way before she completely choked out athletics in general -- and not just football at Beechwood). 

If my Ginger Webb diatribe doesn't make sense -- here it is in a nutshell -- Ginger closed off the pipeline of great players coming from out of district. I think the faithful liked that a little too much -- and it was/is significantly easier to blame that on the previous coach/staff by saying "the talent is there" -- Ha, ha! Malarkey! (I think there is a great base of talent there--but the ones who put things over the top are no longer coming--and when they do--they leave--Pretty QUICKLY!)  I think Dale saw the writing on the wall and realized with Aunt Ginger involved -- that things were not going to be manageable for him either. So he left--and left in a pretty interesting way (not questioning the family motives--but I think the timing is something he probably would have worked around differently a few years earlier). If you can prove me wrong--fire at will. 

Whether it is Beechwood, Highlands or Po Dunk U -- Coaches have more options today than they used to. If you are good--you have a little more power to set your own course. I simply don't think that is possible at Highlands right now. And I don't think it is possible until the "faithful" takes a long look in the mirror and admits that they need to go backward before they go forward. If they make that commitment upfront to a great coach--they have a chance to get someone of top caliber. If they continue to walk around without acknowledging reality --- I think it will be tough sledding. 

I like reading your take on things @gbballfan21.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jack of all Trades said:

Maybe those that do, choose not to air it on here.

I agree. I was  more saying that people who "half way" reveal information on here, maybe actually have none.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gbballfan21 said:

Only thing is the “faithful” don’t feel talent level is what it used to be, but it also is not at the level of a .500 team.  As I have said many times before, Highlands won plenty before Dale and also won after him.  Hopefully the next coach is also willing to move away from the two platoon and get your best on the field more.  

• Like 2