If Highlands gets a new coach who should it be?

My two cents.  I believe BW will step down, not be fired.  He is not ignorant to what's happening around the program, in the community and through the alumni base.  It's sad that we got to this place for someone who's dedicated his life to the school/program.  With that said, a change will be good there.  

I like Chris Wolfe for this job as well.  If it's not CW, I don't know if anyone in the state is hired, but here's the rub.  I believe Chris and Brian know each other well and would you want to take a job that just ran out your buddy?  I may be wrong, but that could factor in his decision to leave Male.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Miller said:

My two cents.  I believe BW will step down, not be fired.  He is not ignorant to what's happening around the program, in the community and through the alumni base.  It's sad that we got to this place for someone who's dedicated his life to the school/program.  With that said, a change will be good there.  

I like Chris Wolfe for this job as well.  If it's not CW, I don't know if anyone in the state is hired, but here's the rub.  I believe Chris and Brian know each other well and would you want to take a job that just ran out your buddy?  I may be wrong, but that could factor in his decision to leave Male.

I don't think the last part will be an issue.  As the phrase goes, "It's not personal, it's strictly business".  I think everyone will agree that NKY and KY football is better when HHS is competitive and whoever gets the job, if and when that happens, will know that expectation but the main thing is that there is more parity in the region than in years past.

Here comes a curveball....

Would Brandon Smith give this job more consideration than Boyle County?

Hear me out.

I know Smith has a great gig at South Warren as it is, and "Why would he choose Highlands if he didn't even think about going to Boyle?", but at Highlands he wouldn't have to always be walking in his father's footsteps. 

• Like 1

If Wolfe didn't work out and Smith was nothing more than a fantasy, I'll also tell you who would be a perfect fit:

Doug Charles at LCA is rapidly rising up my list of the most underrated coaches in Kentucky, especially if he can bring his staff with him.

Watch an LCA game and I dare you not to come away impressed with how they utilize the pieces they have, especially on offense. He may not have the biggest guys or the most elite of athletes, but they do a great job of being creative and scheming against their opponents. I think LCA's O.C. is an absolute gem!

I know Charles has been a part of that program for a long time, but when I see them I can't help but think he would be able to do a lot of the things that highlands has been synonymous with.

There is a Highlands connection as well, Marty Moore is on staff right now.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ATLCat said:

Here comes a curveball....

Would Brandon Smith give this job more consideration than Boyle County?

Hear me out.

I know Smith has a great gig at South Warren as it is, and "Why would he choose Highlands if he didn't even think about going to Boyle?", but at Highlands he wouldn't have to always be walking in his father's footsteps. 

I wouldn't think so on Brandon Smith.  I think the problem for any incoming coach will be they are expected to win/be dominate at Highlands and even if a coach achieves those goals will that coach really get the credit he deserves or will everyone say it was the Highlands football program and not the coach.  In other words, even if the new coach wins all they are doing is meeting expectations which doesn't make it a very coveted position in my opinion.  On top of that how would a new coach know if the powers that be at Highlands will allow Highlands to move down in class where they belong like BW wanted to do before the last realignment.  And not moving down means Highlands has to be better than CCH every year just to have a chance to advance. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, theguru said:

I wouldn't think so on Brandon Smith.  I think the problem for any incoming coach will be they are expected to win/be dominate at Highlands and even if a coach achieves those goals will that coach really get the credit he deserves or will everyone say it was the Highlands football program and not the coach.  In other words, even if the new coach wins all they are doing is meeting expectations which doesn't make it a very coveted position in my opinion.  On top of that how would a new coach know if the powers that be at Highlands will allow Highlands to move down in class where they belong like BW wanted to do before the last realignment.  And not moving down means Highlands has to be better than CCH every year just to have a chance to advance. 

You never want to be the guy who replaces the legend.

You want to be the guy who replaces the guy who replaced the legend.

9 minutes ago, theguru said:

Then you want to be the new guy at Highlands. 🙂

Bingo photos, royalty-free images, graphics, vectors & videos | Adobe Stock

There will always be pressure at a program as steeped in tradition as Highlands, but this is a real watershed moment for that program.

I think whoever comes on will get enough patience because most of the sentiments on these threads is Highlands fans knows that it's not as a simple as X's and O's that is getting them beat on Friday nights. Highlands isn't going to go from being where they are now to beating CovCath just by putting a headset on someone new. 

With that said, Highlands needs to lean into this and know that they have at least two more years of re-structuring and re-calibration. Year three should show promise. Year four is when they should expect results. Hire the guy who can turn a ship currently in shallow water, you have to hire the right guy who is ready to spend the rest of his career there and can ignite optimism. 

On the flip side, hire the wrong guy and guarantee yourself four more years of regression.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

What's the value in dropping to 4A?  All you gain from that is a district title and a 3rd round meeting with Boyle County. Is that what Highlands fans would be happy with?

Do we know for sure if Boyle will be in 4A next go around?

To answer your question, a district title and a third round match up with the Rebels sounds much better than the current state of the Highlands football program. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

50 minutes ago, theguru said:

Do we know for sure if Boyle will be in 4A next go around?

To answer your question, a district title and a third round match up with the Rebels sounds much better than the current state of the Highlands football program. 

Not much difference IMO. Add in travel expenses and lower gate with district opponents Harrison County, Boyd County and Rowan County - not interested if I am Highlands.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Voice of Reason said:

Not much difference IMO. Add in travel expenses and lower gate with district opponents Harrison County, Boyd County and Rowan County - not interested if I am Highlands.

This was the main reason the move was not made last time.  I think current administration believes life will be better in 4A.  Also look for the schedule to be scaled back when compared to years past.