Mask or No Mask

Voice of Reason

Mask or No Mask  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Mask or No Mask

• Mask
    • No Mask

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/01/2020 at 09:49 PM

8 minutes ago, bugatti said:

Exactly. On a scale of 1-100, this registers as a 1 on the sacrifice scale. It is a minor inconvenience and it baffles me to see the resistance movement to them.

My basic protocols:

- Going indoors and traveling throughout a building, mask is on. Once settled and spaced out I will remove it.

- I am big on air circulation/filtration. Outdoor gatherings, even flying I have minimal concern with.

- If asked to wear one, I gladly do so.

- If there is a mass gathering indoors with no masks on, I avoid it. In short, use some common sense. You do this, life doesn't have to be on pause.

I have accepted that the only true way out of this is with a vaccine. We are not to be inconvenienced in our everyday lives and have set the low bar for handling this thing. We are the laughing stock of the world, but whatever. I am beyond blessed our doctors (you know, the people we no longer trust) have found a way to minimize the impact of this thing and are saving lives each day.

We are at what, 215,000 deaths? With everything we have (or haven't) done that is remarkable. And for the crowd that disputes the 215,000 and think numbers are cooked, in honor of COVID-19, I always set the number at 19% of this, so about 41,000. That's a lot of people.

Well said. 

1 hour ago, Voice of Reason said:

Going very strict on the social distancing then. That works too.

Yep.

And from my earlier statement, when I am saying "resistance movement," I am not talking about those that are opposed to wearing  a mask, so they avoid places that mandate them. That is people's prerogative. And if they want to gripe about that, that is cool, too. That is what America is about.

I am talking about no-mask guy that will willfully go out of their way to make this their cause, make people uncomfortable, and violate every protocol because they have done their own social media research and can cite a study from Abilene Christian University proving their point. My apologies to ACU.

6 minutes ago, bugatti said:

Yep.

And from my earlier statement, when I am saying "resistance movement," I am not talking about those that are opposed to wearing  a mask, so they avoid places that mandate them. That is people's prerogative. And if they want to gripe about that, that is cool, too. That is what America is about.

I am talking about no-mask guy that will willfully go out of their way to make this their cause, make people uncomfortable, and violate every protocol because they have done their own social media research and can cite a study from Abilene Christian University proving their point. My apologies to ACU.

One of the great anomalies of current times. Science has never been better and our knowledge is at a peak. Yet people seem to trust science less than they did in the past.

The power of the internet and social media makes the threat of disinformation a huge danger.

• Like 1

Just now, Voice of Reason said:

One of the great anomalies of current times. Science has never been better and our knowledge is at a peak. Yet people seem to trust science less than they did in the past.

The anti-science movement is mind blowing. I can't believe so much energy has to be put into encouraging vaccines and explaining their benefits. Do people want to go back to a world with polio and measles?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bugatti said:

The anti-science movement is mind blowing. I can't believe so much energy has to be put into encouraging vaccines and explaining their benefits. Do people want to go back to a world with polio and measles?

We're overthinking it. The resistance to science is based in one thing: it doesn't fit their narrative. If it did, science would be the go-to measuring stick. 

9 minutes ago, bugatti said:

4 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

We're overthinking it. The resistance to science is based in one thing: it doesn't fit their narrative. If it did, science would be the go-to measuring stick. 

Knowledge in the public sector is more focused on being broad than deep. Headlines are more important than the full story.

I read an article earlier from NPR today that said Europe is experiencing a big uptick in cases.  Paris is currently under curfew from 9pm-6am.  Article said that Europe reported 700,000 new case last week.  Just for context, Europe as a whole has about twice the population of the United States.

With that said, does anyone know if Europe has been enforcing masks like states have in the US?

• 2 weeks later...

25 COVID deaths last week in Hamilton  County. ICU patients have doubled. This is happening across the nation. Masks have been proven to reduce risk 6 fold. Don't let down your guard. When around others you have not been with recently, mask on and social distance. It is all we can do now to protect ourselves, friends, family and others.

• Like 1

Just now, TheDeuce said:

We are heading into the holiday season which is only going to make this worse... Halloween parties this weekend, Thanksgiving next month, Christmas and New Years in December. We'll see spikes after all of those, I'd assume. 

If people want Thanksgiving with family, mask on and get very strict again on social distancing. I worry about all those grandparents and elderly who are about to have COVID walk through their door. 

11 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

If people want Thanksgiving with family, mask on and get very strict again on social distancing. I worry about all those grandparents and elderly who are about to have COVID walk through their door. 

On the other hand you also have grandparents such as my 94  year old grandmother who are severely lonely and desperate for someone to come visit them.  I went and saw her for the first time since this started last month and what she told me is that if she knew she would live for another couple of years but had to stay trapped in her home, she'd rather die of Covid right now.  She is miserable. She can't drive, and her children that live locally won't take her anywhere, not even church.   I felt bad that I was only able to visit with her a few  hours.