Mask or No Mask

Voice of Reason

Mask or No Mask  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Mask or No Mask

• Mask
    • No Mask

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/01/2020 at 09:49 PM

Just now, TheDeuce said:

People have also been wearing masks for extended periods of time for years and it hasn't been an issue... So...

"People" - people with high blood pressure?  People with bad lungs?  I guess coal miners did not where them - if they had there would be no cases of black lung. 

Some people - probably more than half - can tolerate a mask.  That ability to tolerate by some people - is not proof that it is safe for ALL people.  Mask have detrimental effects - that is not even in question.  The question is is it appropriate to assume that what works and has minimum impact on a subset is acceptable and works for when applied universally? 

On 10/28/2020 at 4:55 PM, Voice of Reason said:

I mean this as a legitimate question. 

You believe in UFOS but you don't believe in studies that virtually every medical expert agrees show high value in wearing masks? 

My point is there is vastly more documentation supporting mask wearing than UFOS, and you believe in the one with much less scientific support.

I watched something really good last night on Unidentified Submerged Objects (USOs). 

It it fascinating.   There is tons of info out there on USOs including what is known as the "Canadian Roswell" at Shag Harbour but last night I listened to an ex-Navy man describe a black triangle coming out of the ocean right by the USS Nimitz and he estimated the black triangle (which then became a UFO because it was both hydrodynamic and aerodynamic) was larger than the Nimitz which is roughly three football fields long.

5 minutes ago, Bluegrasscard said:

I guess you get a kick from watching coaches on TV! 

On, off, on, off, on, off.....

I was watching UK play volleyball last night and one of the players from the other team was doing it between points.  

8 minutes ago, Bluegrasscard said:

The question is is it appropriate to assume that what works and has minimum impact on a subset is acceptable and works for when applied universally? 

You tell me... People don't want to wear masks because they think not wearing a mask won't affect them, yet, here we are still discussing this.

30 minutes ago, Bluegrasscard said:

Posted elsewhere but fits here. 

"Up until March of 2020, face masks and respirators were considered limited use items. Surgical masks were designed to prevent cross contamination of patients and medical personnel when medical procedures involving blood or other bodily fluids were present or potentially present. They were not used on a continuous basis.

Before March of 2020, OSHA, CDC, and the FDA recommended that masks not be worn by the average person and specifically said that they were not capable of preventing the spread or exposure of viruses and bacteria.

Even today, masks being advertised on television and elsewhere specifically exclude virus protection by omission.

In the workplace, before March of 2020, if there was a potential of an employee having to wear a mask or respirator, the employer had to provide training, the employee had to be fit-tested to ensure a proper seal, and the employee had to pass a pulmonary function test prior to equipment assignment. That same employee, if their job required potential use of a face mask or respirator, was not allowed to have a beard.

Suddenly everything that was known prior to March 2020 and for the past 50 years is wrong and gone."

I think masks are cute - but potentially dangerous and non-effective.  They make people feel they are doing good.  And give them reason to harass those that know the mask is just a game.   The mis-use and re-use of masks is making them far more dangerous than helpful.  Just look around.  Is anyone, ANYONE following all the rules of proper mask usage (no-touch, no re-use, no putting in your pocket, etc.)?   Of course not. 

The subject was well researched before March of 2020.  What changed then? 

And there you have it. All you construction workers doing demolition, especially where absetos could be present ... no need to wear that mask. They didn't wear them 50 years ago so no need to wear them now. 

All you first responders and healthcare workers, don't waste time and money on that mask.

8 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

And there you have it. All you construction workers doing demolition, especially where absetos could be present ... no need to wear that mask. They didn't wear them 50 years ago so no need to wear them now. 

All you first responders and healthcare workers, don't waste time and money on that mask.

Those are tasks done by healthy people - probably who have to do periodic cardiac-preliminary testing.  And they do not were their masks or respirators for full shifts non-stop. 

I will gladly were the stupid mask in a store - if they let the employees take theirs off.  After all a cashier that is in the same spot for 8 hours is infecting the place with or without a mask. 

I feel terrible when I see employees doing heavy work and trying to follow the insane and dangerous rules they are being mandated with - by non-medical officials. 

17 minutes ago, Bluegrasscard said:

Those are tasks done by healthy people - probably who have to do periodic cardiac-preliminary testing.  And they do not were their masks or respirators for full shifts non-stop. 

I will gladly were the stupid mask in a store - if they let the employees take theirs off.  After all a cashier that is in the same spot for 8 hours is infecting the place with or without a mask. 

I feel terrible when I see employees doing heavy work and trying to follow the insane and dangerous rules they are being mandated with - by non-medical officials. 

Unfortunately many customers in those stores won't wear masks so the employees have to wear them to protect themselves.

If someone has a health condition where wearing a mask is more dangerous to their health than the risk of getting infected, then that isn't worth debating here. If that is what you're concerned about, no need to continue to rant on.  There are always exceptions to rules and one off based on circumstances. The focus here is on the percentage of the population who won't wear a mask for some contemptuous reason.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Unfortunately many customers in those stores won't wear masks so the employees have to wear them to protect themselves.

If someone has a health condition where wearing a mask is more dangerous to their health than the risk of getting infected, then that isn't worth debating here. If that is what you're concerned about, no need to continue to rant on.  There are always exceptions to rules and one off based on circumstances. The focus here is on the percentage of the population who won't wear a mask for some contemptuous reason.

Serious question because I may be uninformed, but I thought the consensus was that wearing masks was less about protecting yourself and more about protecting others that you may spread to. It sounds like you are saying the opposite which I had not heard.

1 minute ago, Tones said:

Serious question because I may be uninformed, but I thought the consensus was that wearing masks was less about protecting yourself and more about protecting others that you may spread to. It sounds like you are saying the opposite which I had not heard.

Wearing a mask is not only important, it's life-saving. | Lincoln, NE |  Bryan Health

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Tones said:

It is a layer of protection either way.