Covid Red Cancelation Concern

gchs_uk9

This may be hinging on conspiratorial, but if you are a team clearly inferior to a district opponent and your game with said opponent is postponed due to either County being red, what is the incentive for rescheduling? Would you be better off taking the Covid cancellation and counting it as a win AND loss, instead of the inevitable loss? It isn’t the sporting thing to do but will that matter to coaches?

I’m starting to see this potentially happening in a couple of places. The KHSAA seemingly hasn’t ruled on this per se. I know the playoffs are the end goal and Tackett has repeatedly said something to the effect that they hope to have a postseason. But I’d hate to seem scheming by inferior opponents cost a team a playoff berth. 

13 minutes ago, gchs_uk9 said:

This may be hinging on conspiratorial, but if you are a team clearly inferior to a district opponent and your game with said opponent is postponed due to either County being red, what is the incentive for rescheduling? Would you be better off taking the Covid cancellation and counting it as a win AND loss, instead of the inevitable loss? It isn’t the sporting thing to do but will that matter to coaches?

I’m starting to see this potentially happening in a couple of places. The KHSAA seemingly hasn’t ruled on this per se. I know the playoffs are the end goal and Tackett has repeatedly said something to the effect that they hope to have a postseason. But I’d hate to seem scheming by inferior opponents cost a team a playoff berth. 

You never want a situation where a team has an incentive not to play a game.

Hopefully the KHSAA will address this issue soon. 

• Like 2

Glasgow’s game with Adair got cancelled because Barren is a red county which incidentally is silly to me I don’t think you have a better chance of catching it in a red county compared to others but whatever. Glasgow was willing to give up the home game and travel to Adair but their school has a rule not to play any teams from red counties.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 16thBBall Fan said:

I just saw a story in the Herald Leader that the Mercer Co. board suspended all athletics due to county being in the red zone. The only sport the article said not affected was the boys and girls golf teams.

I'm guessing the golf decision was because yesterday and today are the golf regionals and most likely those kids will be finished with the season after that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tigerpride94 said:

Need some test drives in these red counties. Can drive down positive rate by having more negative tests. I suspect that mostly only sick people getting tests.

I agree totally our state numbers per day are actually more than than they were months ago but the positivity rate is going down or lower because more people are getting tested.

• Like 1

Again, I'd like to see them consider the football programs as separate entities, and base play/cancel on the status of the football program, and not the city/community in which they play or in which they are going to play.  25 per 100,000 new cases per day seems to be a ridiculously low number to be considered a RED zone to start with.

Compared to Florida which has had 700,000 active cases since March, our measly 66,000 cases makes us look like a safe place.  

Play Ball!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tigerpride94 said:

Need some test drives in these red counties. Can drive down positive rate by having more negative tests. I suspect that mostly only sick people getting tests.

This is whole issue with the Red/Orange, etc. process.  Its completely mathematically invalid. 

They act like testing results are based on some scientific perfectly modeled sampling the represents the demographics of the county in absolute real time.  When this completely not what the testing represents. 

One person getting tested 3 days in row can generate 3 "cases".  In a small county this type of measurement method can skew things. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, gchs_uk9 said:

I'm guessing the golf decision was because yesterday and today are the golf regionals and most likely those kids will be finished with the season after that.

Lincoln had a female golfer that didn't make the regionals today because her teacher tested positive last night on the first day back to school.  She has to quarantine for 14 days.  Her season ended late last night because her teacher has the virus.   Sad!  

• Sad 1

52 minutes ago, Rebel said:

Lincoln had a female golfer that didn't make the regionals today because her teacher tested positive last night on the first day back to school.  She has to quarantine for 14 days.  Her season ended late last night because her teacher has the virus.   Sad!  

If they both had masks on then risk very low and ridiculous for her to have to sit out in a naturally social distanced sport.

5 hours ago, Rebel said:

4 hours ago, Tigerpride94 said:

If they both had masks on then risk very low and ridiculous for her to have to sit out in a naturally social distanced sport.

2 hours ago, gchs_uk9 said:

There were quite a few circumstances in that Lincoln County teacher situation.

More details please. I agree with Tigerpride that if they wore masks and were socially distanced then the golfer should be allowed to compete, especially in golf - an outdoor sport where it is very easy to socially distance outside and avoid contact. Without knowing more, this looks like a situation where common sense appears to fall victim to uneducated fear.

• Like 2