Jump to content
theguru

Simon Kenton 27 Highlands 14

Recommended Posts

I’ll always support and cheer for Highlands but they’re the Moeller of NKY football.  That’s just reality on realities terms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bluerunner said:

Some really good athletes in the HHS Senior Class that don't play football any longer, and their elite QB from that class got a win at Corbin last Friday.  

So why do they not play?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jack of all Trades said:

So why do they not play?  

Great Question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Tigerpride94 said:

I went back and looked and Highlands beat SK at frosh level past 3 years. Why I picked Highlands to win. Guess SK had guys develop better.

I'm not sure why, but SK's freshmen teams have never been great.  Not sure how seriously JV is taken.  I say that because this isn't the first time I've heard it mentioned in SK threads.  I would never give expectations at the varsity level based on what that class did as freshmen when it comes to SK.  Just something I've noticed over the years.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, BirdDaddy said:

Great Question.

Hergott - Transferred to Beechwood

Buten - Injuries

Vinson - D1 basketball player 

Who else?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, NKYPrepSportsFan said:

Hergott - Transferred to Beechwood

Buten - Injuries

Vinson - D1 basketball player 

Who else?

Those are the 3, I thought of also.   That is a lot offense and talent for sure.  Cam has been gone a while, Buten was injured most of last year and Sam V did not play so that talent was gone since Sophomore year.  That is why I mention they rely heavily on sophomore/junior class now.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, NKYPrepSportsFan said:

Hergott - Transferred to Beechwood

Buten - Injuries

Vinson - D1 basketball player 

Who else?

Seth Mullikin-Just wasn’t fun anymore 

And why did Hergott transfer? Please don’t waste anyone’s time saying to play for his Uncle. Then why not the Two older brothers? Same uncle right? Cam was told and he knew he didn’t have a legitimate Chance to start until his Sr year. #seniorityrules Noway Shearer leaves HHS if he isn’t told as a Frosh  you may never see the Offensive side of a the ball. #facts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/14/2020 at 7:42 AM, Bird Bath said:

The sky is not falling.  The kids got to play football and I am sure thankful for the time and staff for letting that happen.  I am sure they are Going to continue to learn and get better.  Center moving the ball causing offsides, many missed blocks, a sophomore LB that was in the wrong gap resulting in a long TD run with that said he is going to be a good one ! defensive backfield needs work but they played against a very good qb that avoided the rush and hit receivers in stride.  
 

Noon looked the part the second half but scared to let it fly.  Congrats to Kotsay a Sophomore WR looked real good.  Richter had some nice plays at running back.  Strength in the program is in the junior and sophomore class but the seniors will step up lead and I think they will.  As in years past the defense is light years ahead of the offense especially if you watched Saturday JV action.  I think they are going to right the ship and sink the Ryle ship next Friday.  Congrats to SK on the win!  

I like your outlook. Also I think SK is pretty good.  Really good HC, real deal QB, solid running game. They may shake things up in 6A. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, sportsfan41 said:

I'm not sure why, but SK's freshmen teams have never been great.  Not sure how seriously JV is taken.  I say that because this isn't the first time I've heard it mentioned in SK threads.  I would never give expectations at the varsity level based on what that class did as freshmen when it comes to SK.  Just something I've noticed over the years.

You also have to remember some freshman and sophomores play varsity, thus affecting how good the freshman and JV teams are.  One example is SK’s freshman team from last year, with Crone starting last year at the varsity level at QB as a freshman. Freshman and JV levels can be a good predictor if the future, but you never know how kids will mature physically or how those classes mesh with other classes at the varsity level. Sometimes the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

You also have to remember some freshman and sophomores play varsity, thus affecting how good the freshman and JV teams are.  One example is SK’s freshman team from last year, with Crone starting last year at the varsity level at QB as a freshman. Freshman and JV levels can be a good predictor if the future, but you never know how kids will mature physically or how those classes mesh with other classes at the varsity level. Sometimes the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

Disagree that frosh scores cannot show ‘potential’ at varsity level.  A good coach that follows his program can recognize talent, develop and mold it for use at the varsity level.  Highlands lacks big time in the recognition part right now and you see the results at the varsity level.  It is not about making friends with kids or their families, it is about winning football games by finding your best talents and making full use of their skills.  Not continually trying to put square pegs in round holes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Jack of all Trades said:

Disagree that frosh scores cannot show ‘potential’ at varsity level.  A good coach that follows his program can recognize talent, develop and mold it for use at the varsity level.  Highlands lacks big time in the recognition part right now and you see the results at the varsity level.  It is not about making friends with kids or their families, it is about winning football games by finding your best talents and making full use of their skills.  Not continually trying to put square pegs in round holes.

A freshman team may show potential, but that doesn't mean a good freshman team translates into a good varsity team in 2-3 years, even with proper recognition and attempted development. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

A freshman team may show potential, but that doesn't mean a good freshman team translates into a good varsity team in 2-3 years, even with proper recognition and attempted development. 

You have your opinion and I have mine.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jack of all Trades said:

You have your opinion and I have mine.  

I didn't say otherwise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems like this same conversation and debate has happened the last 3-4 years... Developing players? Playing both ways?  Talent utilization? Offensive schemes?  Defensive schemes?  I feel like I could just go back and copy/paste comments from previous seasons 😁

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, NKYPrepSportsFan said:

Seems like this same conversation and debate has happened the last 3-4 years... Developing players? Playing both ways?  Talent utilization? Offensive schemes?  Defensive schemes?  I feel like I could just go back and copy/paste comments from previous seasons 😁

And what is the common denominator?  Expect that to change after this year.  Success at frosh level should translate to better than a game over .500 record.  Last year is a prime example of not knowing what you have in your program and using it to win ballgames.  This is a year over year thing.  Were they going to win state championships over these last few years, likely not.  But they certainly were expected to host a playoff game or two and not be a game over .500.  

Guess all will change when they make the drop back to 4A when the next round of classification takes place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using the site you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use Policies.