Jump to content
theguru

Simon Kenton 27 Highlands 14

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Jack of all Trades said:

Disagree that frosh scores cannot show ‘potential’ at varsity level.  A good coach that follows his program can recognize talent, develop and mold it for use at the varsity level.  Highlands lacks big time in the recognition part right now and you see the results at the varsity level.  It is not about making friends with kids or their families, it is about winning football games by finding your best talents and making full use of their skills.  Not continually trying to put square pegs in round holes.

I never said that.  I said it’s not always reflective.  Don’t you think SK’s freshman team last year would have been better if Crone had played freshman ball instead of being the varsity starter? Also freshman teams don’t show whole potential, because once freshman ball ends, they are combining with other grade levels, so you don’t see the whole story. So may get a glimpse of what may be to come, you in no way get the whole story of what the future looks like. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TheDeuce said:

A freshman team may show potential, but that doesn't mean a good freshman team translates into a good varsity team in 2-3 years, even with proper recognition and attempted development. 

And bad freshman teams sometimes turn into good varsity teams. At my high school, the grade behind me won 1 game as freshman, and won the state title as seniors.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jack of all Trades said:

Guess all will change when they make the drop back to 4A when the next round of classification takes place.

And leave potential playoff games with CovCath behind? 😲

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is a thought that came to mind reading the comments above. I agree that freshman football is usually a very good indicator of talent in the school. There is a factor to consider with Highlands though. Their youth football program is excellent, one of the best if not the best in the state. Does that build in an advantage for Highlands freshman football?  Does that youth football experience give Highlands an advantage in winning freshman football games which causes us to think they are more talented than they really are?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rjs4470 said:

I never said that.  I said it’s not always reflective.  Don’t you think SK’s freshman team last year would have been better if Crone had played freshman ball instead of being the varsity starter? Also freshman teams don’t show whole potential, because once freshman ball ends, they are combining with other grade levels, so you don’t see the whole story. So may get a glimpse of what may be to come, you in no way get the whole story of what the future looks like. 

Do you honestly believe frosh ball does not show “potential”?  If so, could not disagree more.  There are also kids that may not show “potential”, but develop over time in the program, that is not really happening right now.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Here is a thought that came to mind reading the comments above. I agree that freshman football is usually a very good indicator of talent in the school. There is a factor to consider with Highlands though. Their youth football program is excellent, one of the best if not the best in the state. Does that build in an advantage for Highlands freshman football?  Does that youth football experience give Highlands an advantage in winning freshman football games which causes us to think they are more talented than they really are?

Not at all.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jack of all Trades said:

Not at all.

 That I will disagree with. It is a factor. The question is how much of a factor is it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To better express what I am saying look at the quarterback position this year.  Heard nothing but good things about Charlie Noon, yet decision made to have him split time with Fahlbusch.  Could Fahlbusch help at another position?  I am hearing yes to that question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Voice of Reason said:

 That I will disagree with. It is a factor. The question is how much of a factor is it.

Maybe back in the day, not now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jack of all Trades said:

To better express what I am saying look at the quarterback position this year.  Heard nothing but good things about Charlie Noon, yet decision made to have him split time with Fahlbusch.  Could Fahlbusch help at another position?  I am hearing yes to that question.

 To that point and other comments made in this thread, the coach has got to put his players in the best position to win games and that should be the only factor in who plays where.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

 To that point and other comments made in this thread, the coach has got to put his players in the best position to win games and that should be the only factor in who plays where.

Agree with you 100%.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Here is a thought that came to mind reading the comments above. I agree that freshman football is usually a very good indicator of talent in the school. There is a factor to consider with Highlands though. Their youth football program is excellent, one of the best if not the best in the state. Does that build in an advantage for Highlands freshman football?  Does that youth football experience give Highlands an advantage in winning freshman football games which causes us to think they are more talented than they really are?

Yeah, you’re not doing correct cross referencing here. 

Fort Thomas Jr Football League used to be awesome. It used to prepare a ton of kids for the HHS freshman football. Some different people got control of it and changed it to be more about regional competition as opposed to being more developmental like it was from 1950s to like 2010. Funny thing was that correlates not with freshman football but with highlands state championships. The FT Jr FL Is making strides to be like that again for the past couple of years.   The people in control now understand what the old ways accomplished.   
 

When you get too competitive early you drive away and miss out on a lot of kids. A lot of those kids are late bloomers/ growth spirts/ hard workers. Highlands used to retain all those kids. I believe the sophomores and juniors are the first classes that experienced a more developmental jr football league.

 

35 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

Yeah, you’re not doing correct cross referencing here. 

Fort Thomas Jr Football League used to be awesome. It used to prepare a ton of kids for the HHS freshman football. Some different people got control of it and changed it to be more about regional competition as opposed to being more developmental like it was from 1950s to like 2010. Funny thing was that correlates not with freshman football but with highlands state championships. I think the FT Jr FL Is making stride to be like that again.  The people in control now understand what the old way did now.  
 

When you get too competitive early you drive away and miss out on a lot of kids. A lot of those kids are late bloomers/ growth spirts/ hard workers.  Highlands used to retain all those kids.

 

Have a junior league or don't. Developmental or competitive. Either model works. CovCath won multiple state championships without a feeder league. At the end of the day, it comes down to the kids in the program. In the 90's and 2000's, Highlands used to have Power 5 D-1 guys in the program. Who was the last one they had? Those kids obviously make a huge difference. In the larger divisions, when you don't have them, the path to a state title becomes very difficult.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, colonel-fan said:

Have a junior league or don't. Developmental or competitive. Either model works. CovCath won multiple state championships without a feeder league. At the end of the day, it comes down to the kids in the program. In the 90's and 2000's, Highlands used to have Power 5 D-1 guys in the program. Who was the last one they had? Those kids obviously make a huge difference. In the larger divisions, when you don't have them, the path to a state title becomes very difficult.

Yes for sure jr league is only one factor in the system, For historical Highlands it was a big factor. Power 5 D1 guys also a big factor. Towles is the most recent one. So 2012, 2014 were years where they won it without Power 5 dudes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using the site you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use Policies.