theguru

Simon Kenton 27 Highlands 14

5 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

At least they played their studs both ways. I’ve been waiting for that for a long time.  This loss was disappointing but I saw some nice talent on the field for the Birds.  First game in a weird year with no scrimmage and limited contact in practice. Hopefully they learned from this and can move on and win. 

The seasons change fast in high school football. Six years ago I was wondering if Cov Cath was going to wither into a Bishop Brossert type of program. At that time Highlands was winning state championships every year.  Now It’s Cov Cath that are the boss of NKy. The seasons will change again.  Fort Thomas still has passion for their Birds, there just isn’t much to say right now. The denial phase is over. 

Besides South and Hartman, who else played both ways?  

4 minutes ago, NKYPrepSportsFan said:

Besides South and Hartman, who else played both ways?  

Forget names but I thought I saw a few Wr/dbs didn’t I? 

3 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

Forget names but I thought I saw a few Wr/dbs didn’t I? 

I guess if you’re counting a couple of plays, then there were a couple of others that played “both ways.” 

Yeah I mean did you expect 11 players to never leave the field?  It would be nice to see Welch and Surrey at CB The whole game. Seeing South literally playing both ways at RB/LB was refreshing. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jack of all Trades said:

I guess all the Highlands faithful have jumped ship?  Either nobody on site any more or they just don’t care?

How many times is a team going to pooch kick on you without making any adjustments?  There is that word again that seems to be missing from the Highlands coach vocabulary.

Maybe it just took them 3 years to figure out we were right.

7 hours ago, El Diablo said:

Six years ago I was wondering if Cov Cath was going to wither into a Bishop Brossert type of program. 

Pretty cruel to Bishop Brossart who is not on trial here.  We haven't "withered" into anything. We are a fourteen year old program who are very much in the successful process of building a program.  The fact that CovCath has 600 boys in their program, and Brossart has less than 150 should eliminate any comparison of the two programs at all

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, El Diablo said:

Yeah I mean did you expect 11 players to never leave the field?  It would be nice to see Welch and Surrey at CB The whole game. Seeing South literally playing both ways at RB/LB was refreshing. 

I’d love to see Kissee play some defense too.  

3 hours ago, Mustang said:

Pretty cruel to Bishop Brossart who is not on trial here.  We haven't "withered" into anything. We are a fourteen year old program who are very much in the successful process of building a program.  The fact that CovCath has 600 boys in their program, and Brossart has less than 150 should eliminate any comparison of the two programs at all

I apologize, I  didn’t mean to trash on Bishop Brossart.  I just picked them because they are small catholic school. There were some years there were Cov Cath played like they were Bishop Brosarts size. Bishop Brossart is a great program and didn’t deserve that comment. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Playing more kids both ways is not going to solve any of their problems IMO. From what I saw there problem was there secondary. I like South and Hartman getting some carries/plays here and there. I believe Roy went both ways, but Welch and Surrey are not going to make a difference at DB. Your not just going to be able to throw kids out there and let them make a difference in a spot like DB.

Does anyone know what the W-L records were of the Frosh teams of the current seniors, juniors, and sophomores?  
And, how did they do against SImon Kenton as freshmen?  I’m guessIng that it was three pretty lopsided victories for Highlands.    

37 minutes ago, NKYPrepSportsFan said:

Does anyone know what the W-L records were of the Frosh teams of the current seniors, juniors, and sophomores?  
And, how did they do against SImon Kenton as freshmen?  I’m guessIng that it was three pretty lopsided victories for Highlands.    

I went back and looked and Highlands beat SK at frosh level past 3 years. Why I picked Highlands to win. Guess SK had guys develop better.

• Thanks 1

The sky is not falling.  The kids got to play football and I am sure thankful for the time and staff for letting that happen.  I am sure they are Going to continue to learn and get better.  Center moving the ball causing offsides, many missed blocks, a sophomore LB that was in the wrong gap resulting in a long TD run with that said he is going to be a good one ! defensive backfield needs work but they played against a very good qb that avoided the rush and hit receivers in stride.  

Noon looked the part the second half but scared to let it fly.  Congrats to Kotsay a Sophomore WR looked real good.  Richter had some nice plays at running back.  Strength in the program is in the junior and sophomore class but the seniors will step up lead and I think they will.  As in years past the defense is light years ahead of the offense especially if you watched Saturday JV action.  I think they are going to right the ship and sink the Ryle ship next Friday.  Congrats to SK on the win!  

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Tigerpride94 said:

I went back and looked and Highlands beat SK at frosh level past 3 years. Why I picked Highlands to win. Guess SK had guys develop better.

So the current combined varsity squad was 6-0 against Simon Kenton with a total combined score of 215 - 86 in the six games. 

The current seniors were 8-1 as frosh and beat Simon Kenton 24-0 and 20-23.

The current juniors were 7-2 as frosh and beat SK 40-20 and 42-15.

The current sophomores were 8-1 as frosh and beat SK 44-6 and 45-32.  

To say that SK had guys develop better is certainly an understatement.  

The current Highlands varsity team as freshmen was a combined 2-1 against the Ryle Raiders with a combined score of 58-20:

Current Seniors beat Ryle 27-3

Current Juniors beat Ryle 21-14

Current Sophomores lost to Ryle 10-3.  

Let's hope that Ryle's guys didn't develop nearly as well as Simon Kenton's.  

• Like 1

Some really good athletes in the HHS Senior Class that don't play football any longer, and their elite QB from that class got a win at Corbin last Friday.  

1 hour ago, Bluerunner said:

Some really good athletes in the HHS Senior Class that don't play football any longer, and their elite QB from that class got a win at Corbin last Friday.  

Absolutely true.  Losing the QB and Buten are huge losses for this senior class.