Let them all in!

Jumper_Dad

The ACC has proposed letting all 360 some odd teams into the tournament this coming season. Coach K is evidently spearheading the idea to the NCAA. 

That would take the pressure off of teams if they have a Covid outbreak or struggle finding games. I think for just this one year that it would be AWESOME!

Give me a three page bracket and lets go!

What is everyone's thoughts on this idea?

It wouldn’t really change much IMO. The games before the round of 64 would likely be played at a teams home arena. The idea of a Cinderella is what makes this appealing to some, but you’re not going to have a team make some magical run as the 312th seed. 

20 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

It wouldn’t really change much IMO. The games before the round of 64 would likely be played at a teams home arena. The idea of a Cinderella is what makes this appealing to some, but you’re not going to have a team make some magical run as the 312th seed. 

I agree completely but you know some schools in the bottom half of the power conferences would get picked off by some no name with a sub .500 record. 

I could see a 100 seed making a run to the sweet 16.

Every team already makes the NCAA tournament via a conference championship week, technically. Some just have the luxury of getting another life via the big dance.

I don't mind the idea, but I hope it is not overly slanted towards the major conferences where some typical 19-12 11 seed from the ACC is hosting an 8 team bubble of mid-majors for the rights to advance. I hope all conference winners get to host. Now that would be cool if Murray State was hosting teams from major conferences.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheDeuce said:

Still too early to make a decision on this, in my opinion.  Are small schools going to fly across the country to get their brains beat in by one of the big boys?  Are the big boys going to want them to, and risk bringing something with them?

And  honestly, this is a logistical nightmare, as far as travel arrangements, with trying to play two games over four days.  It's one thing when you've got neutral sites...but, you can't ask a team from California to fly to Michigan for one game, and then leave and play a team in Florida two days later.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CincySportsFan said:

Still too early to make a decision on this, in my opinion.  Are small schools going to fly across the country to get their brains beat in by one of the big boys?  Are the big boys going to want them to, and risk bringing something with them?

And  honestly, this is a logistical nightmare, as far as travel arrangements, with trying to play two games over four days.  It's one thing when you've got neutral sites...but, you can't ask a team from California to fly to Michigan for one game, and then leave and play a team in Florida two days later.

Agreed, the logistics alone would make it next to impossible. 

4 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

Agreed, the logistics alone would make it next to impossible. 

Yeah, the one argument that I've head against that, was that they can make the first few rounds truly regional, so that teams don't have to travel outside their time zone.  My reply to that was...gee, that sounds an awful lot like the conference tournaments.  🤣

20 minutes ago, CincySportsFan said:

Let's be honest. People may try to paint this like a wonderful idea, but this is what the big boys want to happen. They (P5 schools) love taking care of one another. A (diluted) resume where you can tout 2-3 extra wins is what they want to happen and then be able to slide this into the permanent fold.

Coaches like Boeheim have been clamoring for more teams forever.

3 hours ago, TheDeuce said:

I got a good chuckle out of that one Deuce, I agree!

11 hours ago, bugatti said:

Every team already makes the NCAA tournament via a conference championship week, technically. Some just have the luxury of getting another life via the big dance.

I don't mind the idea, but I hope it is not overly slanted towards the major conferences where some typical 19-12 11 seed from the ACC is hosting an 8 team bubble of mid-majors for the rights to advance. I hope all conference winners get to host. Now that would be cool if Murray State was hosting teams from major conferences.

Exactly. Thank you very much. Every team is in the tournament already.

What is the purpose of this proposal?