I hung out with some Highlands Football Mommies the other night...

theguru

Iam glad you posted this schedule. I have a very good source telling me that Highlands has requested to drop the Knoxville Catholic game to pick up Newport.

If this is true then this program just took a turn for the worse and is now on a head on path of self destruction.

The Knoxville Catholic game last year was a "one off" bowl game, right?

With the RPI system now established, is a win over a 2A team worth more than one against an out of state team that at best is a ".500" RPI dinger?

And then there's the Birds' reputed aversion to travel ...

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe schedule is the same as last year except for game one and flip from home to away and vice versa. Still playing in Corbin with different opponent.

So do you have the schedule JOAT? Surely it is set already and opponents are lined up.

Please post if available.

That team from Park Hills has their schedule announced and posted already.

I believe schedule is the same as last year except for game one and flip from home to away and vice versa. Still playing in Corbin with different opponent.

Chatanooga Notre Dame and Corbin were the other teams in the Cumberland Falls Pigskin Classic. I would think Highlands would play Notre Dame this year, who only won 2 games last season and ended up forfeiting both for using an ineligible player.

Does publishing your schedule in February give you a competitive advantage?

This should be a question for Eddie not me.

However, I have an opinion on why a coach should schedule early and release as early as possible.

1) To allow him to focus on the task at hand and instill confidence in your players during workouts and practices until the day comes. Kids don’t like change or surprises and are more comfortable knowing who their opponents are going to be.

2) Sends a clear message to players, parents and quite possibly other kids walking the hallways that are

aren’t currently playing football to consider or even maybe reconsider playing football.

3) Allows an administration to prepare for the season and put the football budget into play long before the season begins to avoid any financial surprises.

Idk, those are some ideas as to why CovCath might have their schedule out. So why wouldn’t a program like Highlands?

Seems to me if you can’t post your schedule then perhaps you are toying with the notion of dropping the bowl game and picking up Newport.

I don’t know the agreement with the bowl game but I have to believe there is a stiff penalty for pulling out. The question then has to be, does the Newport game generate more money than the bowl game or does it only mean a Win is more important under the current leadership.

However, I have an opinion on why a coach should schedule early and release as early as possible.

1) To allow him to focus on the task at hand and instill confidence in your players during workouts and practices until the day comes. Kids don’t like change or surprises and are more comfortable knowing who their opponents are going to be.

2) Sends a clear message to players, parents and quite possibly other kids walking the hallways that are

aren’t currently playing football to consider or even maybe reconsider playing football.

3) Allows an administration to prepare for the season and put the football budget into play long before the season begins to avoid any financial surprises.

1. That can be done without a schedule. You know when the first scrimmages and games will be, and you won't focus on a specific opponent for several months. If the Week 1 opponent is not a big rival, kids are excited for the season to begin anyway, knowing who the opponent is won't make much, if any difference.

2. Sends what message exactly? You think a kid not playing football is going to be convinced to play because the schedule is out in February? :lol2:

3. Again, this can be done without a released schedule. Just because we don't know the schedule doesn't mean the Admin doesn't. Even if it's not finalized, most HS schedules don't vary a whole lot year over year, they can make projections on what to expect, to an extent.

There's no advantage gained by releasing a schedule in February. Some will find a reason to complain about anything, apparently.

1) To allow him to focus on the task at hand and instill confidence in your players during workouts and practices until the day comes. Kids don’t like change or surprises and are more comfortable knowing who their opponents are going to be.[/b][/b]

aren’t currently playing football to consider or even maybe reconsider playing football.[/i]

3) Allows an administration to prepare for the season and put the football budget into play lo[/i]ng before the season begins to avoid any financial surprises.

Idk, those are some ideas as to why CovCath might have their schedule out. So why wouldn’t a program like Highlands?

Seems to me if you can’t post your schedule then perhaps you are toying with the notion of dropping the bowl game and picking up Newport.

I don’t know the agreement with the bowl game but I have to believe there is a stiff penalty for pulling out. The question then has to be, does the Newport game generate more money than the bowl game or does it only mean a Win is more important under the current leadership.

1) Accomplished without a schedule being released. If you're looking past getting prepared for the grind of the season/week 1 you're doing it wrong anyway.

2) The kids that aren't playing football don't care when the schedule is released. They're either going to go every Friday that they can, or aren't. They certainly aren't going to play because the schedule is released 7 months early.

3) If the schedule is done, anyone in the administration that needs to know the schedule knows it. That's how it is at every public school, even if you do not believe Highlands is public. Furthermore, it's likely any financial burden that is going to be there if the schedule is released 2 months early will still be there if it's released 7 months early. That's how tight public school budgets are.

Schedules are based on contracts set 1-2 years out, so the early scheduling happens VERY early. Scheduling occurring now is for 2021-2022 season, NOT 2020 season.

2020 season games are the same as 2019 season games just flipping home/away with the exception of the Bowl game at Corbin. It will be at Corbin with different opponent decided by the host. The Scrimmages can change year to year, so that may be the inquiries for 2020. But, inquiries would not be for 2020 games!

The players are fully aware of who they are playing because they played them in 2019. Coach Weinrich and the administration are fully aware of the requirements set by the KHSAA on when to formally post the upcoming schedule and roster, as well as, how to budget for the season.

Edited by Bluebird99