I hung out with some Highlands Football Mommies the other night...

theguru

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Less than 1/3 of all teams in KY have posted their schedule on the KHSAA website. It's February.

Tell that to CovCath.

Fun fact: As of Feb 12th at 11:00AM, none of the 2019 championship winning teams have their entire schedule uploaded to KHSAA! This includes CovCath.

If Highlands ultimate goal is getting back to the title game, or even beating CovCath, it looks like officially releasing the schedule has very little to do with it.

Schedules are based on contacts set 1-2 years out, so the early scheduling happens VERY early. Scheduling occurring now is for 2021-2022 season, NOT 2020 season.

2020 season games are the same as 2019 season games just flipping home/away with the exception of the Bowl game at Corbin. It will be at Corbin with different opponent decided by the host. The Scrimmages can change year to year, so that may be the inquiries for 2020. But, inquiries would not be for 2020 games!

The players are fully aware of who they are playing because they played them in 2019. Coach Weinrich and the administration are fully aware of the requirements set by the KHSAA on when to formally post the upcoming schedule and roster, as well as, how to budget for the season.

Well, here’s the answer I was looking for and already knew but wanted someone to confirm the Corbin bowl game was still on and that any talk of dropping out of Bowl game to play Newport has been squashed.

I just don’t know why anytime I ask a simple question the haters come out of the woodwork to make excuses.

Thx for clearing this up BB99 and easing my fears.

Well, here’s the answer I was looking for and already knew but wanted someone to confirm the Corbin bowl game was still on and that any talk of dropping out of Bowl game to play Newport has been squashed.

I just don’t know why anytime I ask a simple question the haters come out of the woodwork to make excuses.

Thx for clearing this up BB99 and easing my fears.

I don't buy that for a second. If your concern was the Newport/Bowl Game argument then you ask that question rather than repeatedly discussing the schedule, and referencing CovCath/Eddie who have nothing to do with whether they play Newport or in a bowl game. This was another attempt to take a shot at the coach/admins to try and say they are ill-prepared without a schedule released, but it was shot down by others since most schools do not have schedules posted either.

The people that disagree with most of what you say aren't haters, they simply disagree with you in most of this thread. We also aren't hiding in the woodwork, but rather waiting to defend against the next ridiculous, and sometimes flat wrong, claim that is made.

Lastly, his post did nothing to confirm the bowl game was still on and that they aren't dropping out to play Newport. It didn't even reference it.

Schedules are based on contracts set 1-2 years out, so the early scheduling happens VERY early. Scheduling occurring now is for 2021-2022 season, NOT 2020 season.

2020 season games are the same as 2019 season games just flipping home/away with the exception of the Bowl game at Corbin. It will be at Corbin with different opponent decided by the host. The Scrimmages can change year to year, so that may be the inquiries for 2020. But, inquiries would not be for 2020 games!

The players are fully aware of who they are playing because they played them in 2019. Coach Weinrich and the administration are fully aware of the requirements set by the KHSAA on when to formally post the upcoming schedule and roster, as well as, how to budget for the season.

More or less correct, yes. There still are some situations with cancellations and some of those can come as a unexpected surprise where teams buy their way out of a contract. There are still coaches who are searching for 2020 games during the '19/'20 offseason. Just a quick glance at the listserv shows that Belfry, Berea, Breathitt County, Dayton, Fairview, Frankfort (2 games), Garrard County, Harlan County, Hazard, McLean County, Newport, Owen County, Owensboro Catholic, Pikeville, Simon Kenton, and Western were all looking for 2020 games as recently as the last week or two for some of them.

I'm not saying Highlands was necessarily looking for a 2020 game, because I have no idea, but there are inquiries out there for 2020 games still.

More or less correct, yes. There still are some situations with cancellations and some of those can come as a unexpected surprise where teams buy their way out of a contract. There are still coaches who are searching for 2020 games during the '19/'20 offseason. Just a quick glance at the listserv shows that Belfry, Berea, Breathitt County, Dayton, Fairview, Frankfort (2 games), Garrard County, Harlan County, Hazard, McLean County, Newport, Owen County, Owensboro Catholic, Pikeville, Simon Kenton, and Western were all looking for 2020 games as recently as the last week or two for some of them.

I'm not saying Highlands was necessarily looking for a 2020 game, because I have no idea, but there are inquiries out there for 2020 games still.

You are correct. I was speaking for Highlands only. Sorry to cause confusion regarding other schools.

What week was Newport looking for?

What week was Newport looking for?

I will give you one guess.

However, according to BB99 who seems to be in the know stated the following..

“2020 season games are the same as 2019 season games just flipping home/away with the exception of the Bowl game at Corbin. It will be at Corbin with different opponent decided by the host.“

This tells me that Highlands will honor their commitment to play in Bowl Game and Newport is still looking for someone to play not named Highlands.

I don't buy that for a second. If your concern was the Newport/Bowl Game argument then you ask that question rather than repeatedly discussing the schedule, and referencing CovCath/Eddie who have nothing to do with whether they play Newport or in a bowl game. This was another attempt to take a shot at the coach/admins to try and say they are ill-prepared without a schedule released, but it was shot down by others since most schools do not have schedules posted either.

The people that disagree with most of what you say aren't haters, they simply disagree with you in most of this thread. We also aren't hiding in the woodwork, but rather waiting to defend against the next ridiculous, and sometimes flat wrong, claim that is made.

Lastly, his post did nothing to confirm the bowl game was still on and that they aren't dropping out to play Newport. It didn't even reference it.

Iam so glad you and others are defending. Exactly what are you defending?

What you are doing is defending the issues and problems of the current state of the Football program at Highlands.

We clearly disagree on where this program has been and where it should be. Obviously mediocrity is something that many folks involved in the program are just ok with and many have come to accept it and move on.

I reserve my right and opinion to speak out against what I believe is the death of this program. Whether it be disagreeing with philosophies or simply speaking the the truth with passion without being fearful of being reprimanded or penalized. I will question those in charge until changes with results have been made.

The “we” that are on the defense of this debate is comical compared to the mass numbers that agree with me despite what you or others may think.

No way will anyone convince me or change my mind at this point in time. If I upset folks because of how direct and candid I am then that’s too bad.

Everyone from the bottom to the top need to put their big boy pants on and fix the problem and quit making excuses and blaming everyone else but themselves or just step aside and let someone else fix it.

At the end of the day the kids are losing out on opportunities that they will never know of or experience. That is on the administration and anyone that defends that is part of the problem.

Go Birds!!!

Iam so glad you and others are defending. Exactly what are you defending?

What you are doing is defending the issues and problems of the current state of the Football program at Highlands.

We clearly disagree on where this program has been and where it should be. Obviously mediocrity is something that many folks involved in the program are just ok with and many have come to accept it and move on.

I reserve my right and opinion to speak out against what I believe is the death of this program. Whether it be disagreeing with philosophies or simply speaking the the truth with passion without being fearful of being reprimanded or penalized. I will question those in charge until changes with results have been made.

The “we” that are on the defense of this debate is comical compared to the mass numbers that agree with me despite what you or others may think.

No way will anyone convince me or change my mind at this point in time. If I upset folks because of how direct and candid I am then that’s too bad.

Everyone from the bottom to the top need to put their big boy pants on and fix the problem and quit making excuses and blaming everyone else but themselves or just step aside and let someone else fix it.

At the end of the day the kids are losing out on opportunities that they will never know of or experience. That is on the administration and anyone that defends that is part of the problem.

Go Birds!!!

I agree with some of this, #1 being Go Birds! I want all NKY athletes to have success. It makes our entire region a buzzing and exciting place when local teams have success.

I also agree with you having the right to your opinion and to speak on it. That is what makes this country and this message board great! You have the right to speak your opinion, but with that the people that disagree with you can also speak their mind.

"We" is more than one person. Even if you have 100k people following you it doesn't make the group that disagrees with some of your posts not "we".

What I stated "we" are waiting to defend against is any downright incorrect information that has been spread throughout the thread, and there has been plenty.

I agree that Highlands has a very proud tradition! I would argue that that tradition is still very strong. Highlands will come back, and it is very likely that there are some changes that need to be made in order to do that. As others have said, that likely starts with allowing tuition students into the district again. It doesn't mean there hasn't been some talent there the last few years, but it can only help matters to allow even more kids into the school.

I agree with some of this, #1 being Go Birds! I want all NKY athletes to have success. It makes our entire region a buzzing and exciting place when local teams have success.

I also agree with you having the right to your opinion and to speak on it. That is what makes this country and this message board great! You have the right to speak your opinion, but with that the people that disagree with you can also speak their mind.

"We" is more than one person. Even if you have 100k people following you it doesn't make the group that disagrees with some of your posts not "we".

What I stated "we" are waiting to defend against is any downright incorrect information that has been spread throughout the thread, and there has been plenty.

I agree that Highlands has a very proud tradition! I would argue that that tradition is still very strong. Highlands will come back, and it is very likely that there are some changes that need to be made in order to do that. As others have said, that likely starts with allowing tuition students into the district again. It doesn't mean there hasn't been some talent there the last few years, but it can only help matters to allow even more kids into the school.

Fort Thomas schools have allowed tuition students into the district since 2015. There was a 3 year restriction of tuition students from 2012 to 2014 because of building capacity. Here is the link: FORT THOMAS MATTERS: Fort Thomas Independent Opens Up Enrollment for Out-Of-District Students

Fort Thomas schools even held a private school style open house this past fall in order to entice out of district kids. Here is the link: FORT THOMAS MATTERS: Fort Thomas Independent Schools Open House | Sunday, December 1 | 3-5 p.m.

Fort Thomas schools have allowed tuition students into the district since 2015. There was a 3 year restriction of tuition students from 2012 to 2014 because of building capacity. Here is the link: FORT THOMAS MATTERS: Fort Thomas Independent Opens Up Enrollment for Out-Of-District Students

Fort Thomas schools even held a private school style open house this past fall in order to entice out of district kids. Here is the link: FORT THOMAS MATTERS: Fort Thomas Independent Schools Open House | Sunday, December 1 | 3-5 p.m.

Very cool on the open house, and great info. I knew they had at least discussed reopening the doors to tuition students, but had no idea it actually happened in 2015.

• 2 weeks later...

Hang in there Bluebird supporters. I know these last couple seasons have been tough to watch.

After the loss to Conner, someone posted, "Is this program going to be a powerhouse ever again?" on another site. I was sitting with JOAT at a girls basketball game last month and wondered the same thing.

I honestly thought the 2019 squad would build off the uptick from the 2018 season, but for different reasons, it did not happen. Why's that? People can have their opinions on it. You can always vent to me privately if you want. I'll gladly listen.

I still believe it will be a matter of not "if" this program will become a state power again, but when? In the meantime, supporters can be proud of the combined swimming and diving state championship :)