I hung out with some Highlands Football Mommies the other night...

theguru

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahfeld Morehead

Brass Butler, Valpo and Dayton

I may be wrong but Morehead, Dayton, and Butler are not D1. Pioneer League. Most aid is based on need and academics. Valpo is in the Missouri Valley now for basketball so I would assume they are also playing football in that league too. MVC is D1. I believe Hendrix from Cooper plays for Indiana State in that league. He had a nice year.

I may be wrong but Morehead, Dayton, and Butler are not D1. Pioneer League. Most aid is based on need and academics. Valpo is in the Missouri Valley now for basketball so I would assume they are also playing football in that league too. MVC is D1. I believe Hendrix from Cooper plays for Indiana State in that league. He had a nice year.

Valpo is also in the Pioneer. The Pioneer is part of the FCS, not the FBS. Much different than D1.

Go to the Pioneer League home page. Teams in that league are D1 in BASKETBALL, but play non-scholarship FOOTBALL. The Pioneer is not a FBS league.

Correct, it is an FCS school. I believe that James Madison and North Dakota State played for the title this year.

My son played against Presbyterian 2 years ago and they were moving from FBS to FCS. Both are Division 1.

Surely we can all agree that when someone says “three guys have D1 offers” nobody thinks that means FCS...

This. And it isn’t a knock on those kids. You still have to be a really good player to play FCS. But let’s not pretend is the same as FBS D1.

Surely we can all agree that when someone says “three guys have D1 offers” nobody thinks that means FCS...

This. And it isn’t a knock on those kids. You still have to be a really good player to play FCS. But let’s not pretend is the same as FBS D1.

With the key point being that this year's team did not go 6-5 and lose in the first round of the playoffs because there was a lack of talent.

Is there any validity to Highlands of old outworking everyone meeting a future where the other teams work a lot harder? Also KHSAA making rules to the extent that high school can practice? Could these factors balance the playing field? Back in the 90s weights and running started when the season ended. It was Jokingly called 60 minutes... it probably lasted 3 hours. I don’t think it’s anything like that anymore. I would love to know what the offseason routine is. BW was a big part of 60 minutes when I played and he and Dale ran it like it was wartime. I’m sure they’re not allowed to do that anymore.

With the key point being that this year's team did not go 6-5 and lose in the first round of the playoffs because there was a lack of talent.

So what should they have finished this season? State Champs? It was clearly evident in watching them play they didn’t have the overall talent like the HHS of years past. Pretty obvious to an objective observer. I will add, if they had such a high level of talent there wouldn’t have been two losses to Conner. They looked to be pretty evenly matched with Conner this year.

I’m sure HHS will have much better years in the future as talents fluctuates, but to act like this was a state champ level team, or even close to that is delusional.