Championship: OSU vs Florida

stick1

Who wins the BCS title game?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the BCS title game?

Wouldn't moving it to an earlier date be kind of against the tradition? I see your point with the SEC, especially Georgia because they have certainly benefited from the weak OOC. But, I think all schools are mildly guilty of this. Granted these games were scheduled before their exposure, Texas and Notre Dame turned out to be wildy overrated. Until we have at least a one game playoff, I don't think we will ever know definitevly how the conferences stack up against each other at the end of the year to determine who plays for the title.

Yes, moving the game would be against the tradition. I don't want it to happen, but I see no other way to combat the, for lack of a better term, Big 10 bias that penalizes the loser of that game more severely than any other loser of any other game in the country. While I'll agree that Texas and ND TURNED OUT to be wildly overrated, they were, at least before the season, certainly very formidable games. Now look at the SEC, are there any games that even look remotely formidable? How about even a team that turned out not to be ACCURATELY rated low? I feel that if the "weak" Big 10 beats the "strong" SEC's #1 and #2 teams in bowl games, with their #1 and #3 teams, then we have a pretty good gauge of where those 2 conferences stand.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel that if the "weak" Big 10 beats the "strong" SEC's #1 and #2 teams in bowl games, with their #1 and #3 teams, then we have a pretty good gauge of where those 2 conferences stand.

It would give us a standing of the teams THIS year. But, we are going to have this same argument every year until there is a playoff.

I say do away with playing the OSU/UM game every year, go to rotating schedules just like the SEC, so we don't have to worry about this problem all the time.

Let's see... Florida plays Georgia and Tennessee every year and on the other side Auburn, LSU, 'Bama play each other every year. Add on top of that having to face at least one of those teams from the other side and a conference title game... Your arguments are weak at best.

As I tried to point out in a different thread, the problem is, that when nearly ALL the teams in your conference have TERRIBLE OOC schedules, it artificially inflates the number of wins, and thus the perception of the overall strength of the conference. If you have 4 games against D1 patsies and 1AA teams, and 3-4 are guaruanteed wins, you need what 3-4 wins in conference to be bowl eligible? Look at a team like Georgia. 8 wins sounds pretty good right? 2 out of those 8 wins are against teams in the top half on D1 football. Not to mention losses against perennial cellar dwellers Vandy and UK. But by god, they were 8-4, and proof of the SEC's strength. Now imagine 10 teams like this that all play each other. You now have the SEC.

Florida's opponents have the highest winning percentage in the nation. Try again.

Florida vs. UM

Losses - #9 Auburn vs. #1 OSU

Best Home Win - #4 LSU vs. #7 Wisconsin

Best Road Win - #17 UT vs. #11 ND

Other Ranked Wins - #12 Arkansas vs. N/A

Best OOC win - FSU vs #11 ND

Other OOC oponents: UCF, Western Carolina vs Central Michigan, Ball St.

Conference wins over opponents without winning records:

Alabama, Vandy vs Minnesota, MSU, Iowa, Northwestern, Indiana

So when you look at it, the top of the schedules look pretty even, with UM getting an advantage in OOC scheduling since FSU is down this year.

When you get to the bottom, the Big11 is exposed for how horrendous it is. And other than MSU playing ND, those bottom dwellers weren't going out and playing tough OOC games either.

In the SEC, Vandy played UM, UK played UofL, and South Carolina played Clemson.

Based on somewhat recent history I think Florida has a pretty good shot. In 2001 Ohio St upset Miami

2005 Texas upset USC

I think Florida, with a few weeks to prepare with their offense, will come out be very dangerous.

Also, Florida has played twice since Ohio St has played. I think Ohio St has too much time off between football games. I think it may hurt them.

Some of these predictions are ridiculous. Ohio State is a good football club, so is Michigan. But neither program is head over heels above the Gators. Florida will make a STRONG showing and I think Win. Auburn got the shaft a few years back and USC was lucky IMO. Ohio State didnt get the same luck.

Florida shows up and shows the Country what Conference reigns supreme.

2006secfbc_250w.jpg

For once... GO GATORS:dancingpa ,

Yoter

Florida's opponents have the highest winning percentage in the nation. Try again.

Florida vs. UM

Losses - #9 Auburn vs. #1 OSU

Best Home Win - #4 LSU vs. #7 Wisconsin

Best Road Win - #17 UT vs. #11 ND

Other Ranked Wins - #12 Arkansas vs. N/A

Best OOC win - FSU vs #11 ND

Other OOC oponents: UCF, Western Carolina vs Central Michigan, Ball St.

Conference wins over opponents without winning records:

Alabama, Vandy vs Minnesota, MSU, Iowa, Northwestern, Indiana

So when you look at it, the top of the schedules look pretty even, with UM getting an advantage in OOC scheduling since FSU is down this year.

When you get to the bottom, the Big11 is exposed for how horrendous it is. And other than MSU playing ND, those bottom dwellers weren't going out and playing tough OOC games either.

In the SEC, Vandy played UM, UK played UofL, and South Carolina played Clemson.

Nice try. We'll try this again. Florida's does have the #1 SOS in the country, UM has the #3. Better, yes, by much, no. Winning records are neglible when you DON'T FREAKING PLAY ANYONE. While I'll agree that no "world beaters" were scheduled by many of the Big 11, they certainly didn't schedule 1AA teams, Buffalo, UCF and the like as their top OOC games. Most played teams from the MAC, which are respectable, and have done fairly well in the past. Illinois played Rutgers, MSU also played a highly preseason touted Pitt, Minnesota played Cal, OSU played Texas, Purdue played #25 Hawaii, and PSU also played ND.

This game may be closer than most are saying. I am concerned by the long layoff for Ohio State. Florida can create some defensive problems for OSU due to the speed of their corners. The problem for Florida will be can they keep T. Smith from making big plays. Smith IMO is a much better passing QB than given credit for. He also has the ability to beat you with his feet. This has the makings to be a very good footbal game. It would be great to see the game decided by a FG!! I hope the Ohio State kicker is the games MVP. Go Bucks and Good Luck to Aaron Pettrey.

OSU. 20

FLA. 17