Championship: OSU vs Florida

stick1

Who wins the BCS title game?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the BCS title game?

Again............to heck with over 100 years of tradition, because that makes sense.:rolleyes: But let me get this straight regardless. So you think that a game that has been played the last week of the regular season since long before I was born, and IS without a doubt the best rivalry in college football, shouldn't mean anything? Because that's what a conference title game would do. Both teams would have played again this year, and most years. While we're at it, lets change the teams helmets and uniforms, because, hey, everyone else is.....:rolleyes:

I say do away with playing the OSU/UM game every year, go to rotating schedules just like the SEC, so we don't have to worry about this problem all the time.

:creepy:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i wish people would quit whining about the BCS. Michigan got their shot Nov 18th and couldnt get the job done. Clearly Florida should play for the National Championship after winning the SEC. Just face it the SEC is stronger then the Big 10 and will prove that Jan 8th. OSU didnt play any offense like UF's in the Big 10 and wont know how to handle the Urban way. Im taking the GATORS 31-17

:creepy:

My point is that essentially what has happened is that either OSU/UM is being penalized SEVERELY for playing each other in the last game of the year. I don't think this should matter, nor do I think the Big 10 should be penalized for not having a championship game. Essentially what is being advocated is that the Big 10 conform to what many others are doing, or a "drive to the weakest". That is to say, do away with traditional yearly rivalries, rotate your schedule so that most years you don't play the all of the best teams(or the best), and schedule the weakest possible OOC D1 teams that you can. And if that doesn't work, schedule 1AA teams. All that matters is that all of our teams have lots of wins, so we can say we are the best conference. I don't like this, I'm not a fan, and IMO the "new" breed of college football since the BCS inception, is worse than the "old" breed. JMO.

i wish people would quit whining about the BCS. Michigan got their shot Nov 18th and couldnt get the job done. Clearly Florida should play for the National Championship after winning the SEC. Just face it the SEC is stronger then the Big 10 and will prove that Jan 8th. OSU didnt play any offense like UF's in the Big 10 and wont know how to handle the Urban way. Im taking the GATORS 31-17

I'll take that spread for all of my kingdom...............

My point is that essentially what has happened is that either OSU/UM is being penalized SEVERELY for playing each other in the last game of the year. I don't think this should matter, nor do I think the Big 10 should be penalized for not having a championship game. Essentially what is being advocated is that the Big 10 conform to what many others are doing, or a "drive to the weakest". That is to say, do away with traditional yearly rivalries, rotate your schedule so that most years you don't play the all of the best teams(or the best), and schedule the weakest possible OOC D1 teams that you can. And if that doesn't work, schedule 1AA teams. All that matters is that all of our teams have lots of wins, so we can say we are the best conference. I don't like this, I'm not a fan, and IMO the "new" breed of college football since the BCS inception, is worse than the "old" breed. JMO.

Couldn't you liken this to the SEC championship game? The SEC winner has to play a similarly difficult game on the last game of the year. I can't fault Florida for scheduling a weak OOC schedule with their conference schedule either.

Couldn't you liken this to the SEC championship game? The SEC winner has to play a similarly difficult game on the last game of the year. I can't fault Florida for scheduling a weak OOC schedule with their conference schedule either.

As I tried to point out in a different thread, the problem is, that when nearly ALL the teams in your conference have TERRIBLE OOC schedules, it artificially inflates the number of wins, and thus the perception of the overall strength of the conference. If you have 4 games against D1 patsies and 1AA teams, and 3-4 are guaruanteed wins, you need what 3-4 wins in conference to be bowl eligible? Look at a team like Georgia. 8 wins sounds pretty good right? 2 out of those 8 wins are against teams in the top half on D1 football. Not to mention losses against perennial cellar dwellers Vandy and UK. But by god, they were 8-4, and proof of the SEC's strength. Now imagine 10 teams like this that all play each other. You now have the SEC.

You could liken it to that, but its not. In fact, its no different than UF losing to Auburn(except against a much better team). It is a regular season game, that is played, out of respect to the 100+ years of football each school has put in, on the last week of the season for Big 10 teams. Personally, I'd love to see it moved. It would benefit the entire Big 10.

Just watch the 8th. they wont be able to stop floridas spread offense, they can only hope to contain it

Florida's offense? This isn't the old Spurrier days...Florida's offense isn't all that impressive to me...maybe 7th or 8th out of the BCS teams.

You mean like Texas' spread offense? Yeah, they did OK there.

That was a great win for the Buckeyes. However, Texas played a true freshman QB and the team has since proven to be below standards for Texas. They did not win their division in the Big 12.

Wouldn't moving it to an earlier date be kind of against the tradition? I see your point with the SEC, especially Georgia because they have certainly benefited from the weak OOC. But, I think all schools are mildly guilty of this. Granted these games were scheduled before their exposure, Texas and Notre Dame turned out to be wildy overrated. Until we have at least a one game playoff, I don't think we will ever know definitevly how the conferences stack up against each other at the end of the year to determine who plays for the title.

Florida's offense? This isn't the old Spurrier days...Florida's offense isn't all that impressive to me...maybe 7th or 8th out of the BCS teams.

There is not one team in the Big 10 that runs an offense even remotely close to Florida's, the overall speed on offense of the gators is unbelievable.