Congressman to use Koran at swearing-in

HHSDad

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the help of a friend, I have the following information to offer.

Contrary to modern thought and America’s re-written history, this country was founded by and with deep religious conviction. The founders of this nation intended for God to guide and build this democracy.

During the Constitutional Convention, George Washington stated that this event “is in the hands of God!”

On June 28, 1787, the Constitutional Convention was on the verge of complete rupture. In an unusual event, the 81 year old, Dr. Benjamin Franklin asked for permission to speak. “I have lived, Sir, a long time, and the longer I live, the more convincing proofs I see of this truth: that God governs in the affairs of man. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without His aid? We have been assured, Sir, in the Sacred Writings that ‘except the Lord build the house, they labor in vain that build it (Psalms 127:1).’ I firmly believe this, and I also believe that without His concurring aid we shall succeed in this political building no better than the builders of Babel….I therefore beg leave to move that, henceforth, prayers imploring the assistance of Heaven and its blessing on our deliberation be held in this assembly every morning…and that one or more of the clergy of this city be requested to officiate in that service.” And to this very day we still have clergy open the legislature with prayer.

On the first inauguration of our first President, George Washington, we see that Washington took the oath of President with his hand on the Holy Bible. The Bible was actually opened to Deuteronomy 28, which promises blessings or curses on a nation according to its faithfulness to keep God’s Word. At the end of his oath he said, “So help me God” and then he leaned over and kissed the Bible. Every President since Washington has repeated this same process.

Around September 25, 1789, after the first Congress proposed a Bill of Rights, President Washington issued a proclamation to the people. The thanked “the great Lord and Ruler of Nations” for enabling us “to establish constitutions of government for our safety and happiness, and particularly the national one now lately instituted.” He said it is “the duty of all nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey His will, to be grateful for His benefits, and humbly to implore His protection and favor.”

Thomas Jefferson said that religion is “deemed in other countries incompatible with good government and yet proved by our experience to be its best support…The Bible is the cornerstone of liberty;…students perusal of the sacred volume will make us better citizens.”

The First Amendment does not guarantee freedom from religion and a secular state, but freedom of religion and a truly non-denominational Christian state. It guaranteed that the “Spirit of the Constitution” would be forever free to flourish as the foundation of our Republic.

I think that in 1864 it was sworn into law that the Holy Bible be used when swearing in elected officials of US Govt.

You can find more information like this in the book, America’s Providential History by Mark A. Beliles and Stephen K. McDowell. Providence Press.

Therefore I still believe that our founding fathers will roll over in their graves if the koran is used to swear this guy in as a congressman.

With the help of a friend, I have the following information to offer.

Contrary to modern thought and America’s re-written history, this country was founded by and with deep religious conviction. The founders of this nation intended for God to guide and build this democracy.

During the Constitutional Convention, George Washington stated that this event “is in the hands of God!”

On June 28, 1787, the Constitutional Convention was on the verge of complete rupture. In an unusual event, the 81 year old, Dr. Benjamin Franklin asked for permission to speak. “I have lived, Sir, a long time, and the longer I live, the more convincing proofs I see of this truth: that God governs in the affairs of man. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without His aid? We have been assured, Sir, in the Sacred Writings that ‘except the Lord build the house, they labor in vain that build it (Psalms 127:1).’ I firmly believe this, and I also believe that without His concurring aid we shall succeed in this political building no better than the builders of Babel….I therefore beg leave to move that, henceforth, prayers imploring the assistance of Heaven and its blessing on our deliberation be held in this assembly every morning…and that one or more of the clergy of this city be requested to officiate in that service.” And to this very day we still have clergy open the legislature with prayer.

On the first inauguration of our first President, George Washington, we see that Washington took the oath of President with his hand on the Holy Bible. The Bible was actually opened to Deuteronomy 28, which promises blessings or curses on a nation according to its faithfulness to keep God’s Word. At the end of his oath he said, “So help me God” and then he leaned over and kissed the Bible. Every President since Washington has repeated this same process.

Around September 25, 1789, after the first Congress proposed a Bill of Rights, President Washington issued a proclamation to the people. The thanked “the great Lord and Ruler of Nations” for enabling us “to establish constitutions of government for our safety and happiness, and particularly the national one now lately instituted.” He said it is “the duty of all nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey His will, to be grateful for His benefits, and humbly to implore His protection and favor.”

Thomas Jefferson said that religion is “deemed in other countries incompatible with good government and yet proved by our experience to be its best support…The Bible is the cornerstone of liberty;…students perusal of the sacred volume will make us better citizens.”

The First Amendment does not guarantee freedom from religion and a secular state, but freedom of religion and a truly non-denominational Christian state. It guaranteed that the “Spirit of the Constitution” would be forever free to flourish as the foundation of our Republic.

I think that in 1864 it was sworn into law that the Holy Bible be used when swearing in elected officials of US Govt.

You can find more information like this in the book, America’s Providential History by Mark A. Beliles and Stephen K. McDowell. Providence Press.

Therefore I still believe that our founding fathers will roll over in their graves if the koran is used to swear this guy in as a congressman.

I stand corrected and do think it should not be an option.

2 points that I think bear (or is it bare) mentioning.

1. I think God might be offended that we are swearing an oath on the Bible

a. "Do not swear oaths, but let your 'yes' be yes and your 'no' be no.

b. It could appear that swearing upon the Bible could be seen as

worshipping an idol - the Bible as opposed to God. Aside - I think

we do that a lot with wanting the 10 Commandments posted in the

schools.

2. God gave us two great gifts

a. His Son

b. Free Choice - Probably the one we forget all of the time

C. It was religion and protestantism (reformation) that gave us the great democratic movements of the 15 and 16 hundreds. This belief, however, arose from historical protestant beliefs of:

1. Priesthood of the Believer

2. Autonomy of the soul

It is these 2 things that make democracy great - I am free to choose God or not (a gift given to me by God's self) and I am free to make decisions about all other beliefs including my governmental leaders

The fact that a Muslim could choose to take his or her oath of office using the Quran makes me proud to be an American. A Bible could not be used in a Muslim country and that is what separates us.

If you look at things, skipping the first religion of Peganism, is Judaism and to some extent Budhism and Hinduism. From there you get Catholicism, then Orthadox and Roman Catholic, then you get Protestanism, and today from those you have many denominations.

All religions have a common point: "To love and to serve God, with all your mind, soul, and heart."

Acemona, your words are wisdom!!!

schools.

a. His Son

C. It was religion and protestantism (reformation) that gave us the great democratic movements of the 15 and 16 hundreds. This belief, however, arose from historical protestant beliefs of:

2. Autonomy of the soul

It is these 2 things that make democracy great - I am free to choose God or not (a gift given to me by God's self) and I am free to make decisions about all other beliefs including my governmental leaders

The fact that a Muslim could choose to take his or her oath of office using the Quran makes me proud to be an American. A Bible could not be used in a Muslim country and that is what separates us.

While I agree in whole with your post, I want to point out that God's gift to us was actually free will. Free choice is the conscious excercise of free will.

Sorry to be so anal. :creepy:

I disagree strongly with your interpretation of the First Amendment. It says Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; This doesn't refer to just Baptists and Catholics, but also to Christians and Muslims. The First Amendment prevents the United States from recognizing any religion as being preferable to another. The govenment must be secular. It's individual leaders need not be.

I disagree strongly with your interpretation of the First Amendment. It says Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; This doesn't refer to just Baptists and Catholics, but also to Christians and Muslims. The First Amendment prevents the United States from recognizing any religion as being preferable to another. The govenment must be secular. It's individual leaders need not be.

Big difference between "an establishment of religion" and "an establishment of a particular denomination of Christianity."

schools.

a. His Son

2. Autonomy of the soul

I believe the fact that a muslim CAN have a koran along with a place to congregate without discrimination in this country is what separates us. Try carrying your Holy Bible to your Sunday Worship at a Baptist Church in a muslim country, it won't happen. That's the difference I see. I will never believe that our founding fathers intended for it to be this way. The professional politicians, liberal supreme court justices beginning in the sixty's along with big business and lobbyist's running our govt has almost doomed what our founding fathers had in mind. My big pink ears are already burning.:D