Congressman to use Koran at swearing-in

HHSDad

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ran across this article about a veteran killed in Afghanistan wanting a Wiccan Pentagram for his marker.

http://www.abpnews.com/1550.article

How does this go for the BGP faithful. I don't like Wiccan at all but it was this man's choice, a man who gave the ultimate sacrifice for our country.

Here is one of those issues that my faith and what as a person I think conflicts. I want to honor his wishes but not sure that falls in line with what God would want me to do.

This morning we studied several Scriptures that indicated that the world will HATE Christians for what we are called to do and stances we are called to take. I don't want to let God down by agreeing with the world in situations that it seems logical that God would not want us to take that stance.

Here is one of those issues that my faith and what as a person I think conflicts. I want to honor his wishes but not sure that falls in line with what God would want me to do.

This morning we studied several Scriptures that indicated that the world will HATE Christians for what we are called to do and stances we are called to take. I don't want to let God down by agreeing with the world in situations that it seems logical that God would not want us to take that stance.

I agree. Jesus was very clear that sometimes the world won't like you for being his follower but to remember that the world hated him first. (Gospel of John)

The only problem is figuring out where the line is between the world hating us for standing up for Christ and the Christian looking for someone to hate them to prove his or her faith.

Because for everyone I have met that struggle genuinely with what you are expressing, I have met at least another who relished the role of being hated or despised as some medal of martyrdom.

I suppose it truly boils down to which circumstance is one that we should make a stand for Christ and which are battles that produce no glory for him, only anguish for those involved.

You know something Hatz - if you preached in a pulpit within driving distance of my home, I'd go to church every Sunday.

Frances

Well - let's make that "most" Sundays.

I do preach every Sunday in 2 different services but they won't even let me sing in the Praise Band I play guitar in. They always say, "It's a super sensitive microphone Barney. Real sensitive. Sing softer." :D

I haven't bothered to read throught the entire thread so if it has already been addressed I'm sorry.

Swearing on the Bible has nothing to do with the Bible or Christianty in particular. It merely has to do with making an oath in the eyes of which you are bound. It demonstrates that you will hold firm to your oath to office. It has nothing to do with the actual religion itself.

He should swear on the Koran, swearing on the Bible would be meaningless to him.

I

I do preach every Sunday in 2 different services but they won't even let me sing in the Praise Band I play guitar in. They always say, "It's a super sensitive microphone Barney. Real sensitive. Sing softer." :D

I heard a story from a church service one day....

A person was struggling to get through a song and let's just say singing was not their gift. At the end of the services, an older gentleman approached them. He said, "You know I have no problem with your singing, but my problem is with whomever told you, you COULD SING."

I heard a story from a church service one day....

A person was struggling to get through a song and let's just say singing was not their gift. At the end of the services, an older gentleman approached them. He said, "You know I have no problem with your singing, but my problem is with whomever told you, you COULD SING."

I know the scriptures say to "make a joyful noise." But when I sing (and Dylan sings) it's hard to really classify it as a joyful noise. :D

I agree. Jesus was very clear that sometimes the world won't like you for being his follower but to remember that the world hated him first. (Gospel of John)

The only problem is figuring out where the line is between the world hating us for standing up for Christ and the Christian looking for someone to hate them to prove his or her faith.

Because for everyone I have met that struggle genuinely with what you are expressing, I have met at least another who relished the role of being hated or despised as some medal of martyrdom.

I suppose it truly boils down to which circumstance is one that we should make a stand for Christ and which are battles that produce no glory for him, only anguish for those involved.

:thumb:

But aren't tests (anguish?) supposed to make our faith stronger?

:thumb:

But aren't tests (anguish?) supposed to make our faith stronger?

Tests make our faith stronger but I was referring to those who put themselves in a place to be ridiculed, rejected and despised and then see themselves (erroneously) to be "doing the work of God."

One good example in my eyes would be old Brother Jed and Sister Cindy that used to frequent the EKU campus in the early 80's. If you experienced them that would illustrate my point I'm trying to make.

Can you imagine any country where one could "do as we please"? It's getting to where we are forced to NOT pray in school or anywhere outside our homes or churches, especially if you are Christian. Say what you want, I believe this country was founded with GOD in mind and I believe a government must govern morally too. This could go on and on but I will never believe the koran has any place in the United States Government.

Now really are Christians honestly being persecuted as much as you say. Or is it that as this nation grows your not seeing as dominant a faith base across the country as before. Freedom of religion and seperation of church and state says it all.