Congressman to use Koran at swearing-in

HHSDad

First Muslim Congressman Insists on Using Koran for Ceremonial Swearing-In

WASHINGTON — Keith Ellison, who will become the first Muslim member of Congress next month, has offended some conservatives with his plan to use a Koran during his ceremonial swearing-in.

The decision by Ellison, a Democrat, to use Islam's holy book for the ceremony instead of a Bible triggered an angry column by Dennis Prager on the Web site Townhall.com this week.

Prager headlined the post, "America, Not Keith Ellison, decides what book a congressman takes his oath on." He argued that using the Koran for the ceremony "undermines American civilization."

"Insofar as a member of Congress taking an oath to serve America and uphold its values is concerned, America is interested in only one book, the Bible," he wrote. "If you are incapable of taking an oath on that book, don't serve in Congress."

Conservative bloggers have picked up the criticism and run with it.

Ellison was unavailable for comment Friday, but his incoming chief of staff, Kari Moe, dismissed the brouhaha.

"I think the criticism is being flamed by the politics of division that were rejected in the '06 election cycle," said Moe, who worked for 10 years for the late Democratic Sen. Paul Wellstone.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,233983,00.html

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this weren't so myopic, it would be funny.

Why in the world would anyone think it odd that a person of the Muslim faith should swear an oath on a copy of the Koran?

Would anyone swear an oath on a Koran, if they were Christian? Would you expect them to?

Obviously, if a person of the Christian faith swore an oath on a copy of the Koran, the oath would have no more meaning than if the Koran were replaced by a copy of People magazine.

The converse is equally true. The purpose of swearing an oath on a holy book is to make the oath more binding - not to honor a culture. It only makes sense to use a book that is holy to the person swearing the oath.

Frances

Dennis Prager . What an Idiot . We are guaranteed freedom of religion in the United States . It pertains to everyone no just Christians Ellison as a Muslim has every right to use the Koran to take his oath of office . If it were a Jewish congressman I bet they would use a copy of the Old Testament and not the King james version of the Bible . As a Catholic I would want to use a Douai version of the Bible not the King James version .

The Holy Bible is what our fore fathers intended our congressman to be sworn in with. If the koran is used they will roll over in their graves. I can't believe it's even being considered. I'm amazed that some of you will go along with such an idea. Freedom of religion is one thing, changing my country, my schools and my government so it appeases others is what makes me sick. I have to agree with Prager on this one.

"One Nation Under GOD" not allah or whatever they call it.

The Holy Bible is what our fore fathers intended our congressman to be sworn in with. If the koran is used they will roll over in their graves. I can't believe it's even being considered. I'm amazed that some of you will go along with such an idea. Freedom of religion is one thing, changing my country, my schools and my government so it appeases others is what makes me sick. I have to agree with Prager on this one.

That clause wasn't added until the 50's. Based on the first amendment the founding fathers would be rolling in their grave after reading that post. :p

I'm no history expert but, surely you would agree that our founding fathers did not intend for the koran to be used while swearing in a member of congress. Surely you would agree that our founding fathers intended for our children to pray (as they knew praying to be) in school. Surely you would agree that our founding fathers intended for our children to pledge their country. I'm not sayng that I'm right, I'm saying that the way we bicker these days over religion and rights is just what they were tring to avoid IMO.

Sounds like we need to review the seperation of church and state.

The First Amendment demands that the United States not have an official religion. I don't have to like him using the Qu'ran for me to defend his right to use it in his swearing-in ceremony. His use of it is affirmation that the First Amendment works.

I'm no history expert but, surely you would agree that our founding fathers did not intend for the koran to be used while swearing in a member of congress. Surely you would agree that our founding fathers intended for our children to pray (as they knew praying to be) in school. Surely you would agree that our founding fathers intended for our children to pledge their country. I'm not sayng that I'm right, I'm saying that the way we bicker these days over religion and rights is just what they were tring to avoid IMO.

I'm not a history expert either but I would assume that the use of the Bible in swearing in ceremonies was to establish some conviction to your duty. Like posted above if you don't believe whats in the Bible then how is swearing on it going to make you any more convicted to your duties than not. I think the founding fathers more or less intended for us to be able to do as we please without government tyranny. Pray in school if we want to but not be forced to. Isn't swearing on the Bible to be in office a little like government established religion? Of course, I see the other side too, as far as tradition goes. At the end of the day I really just don't see a Muslim swearing his oath of office on the Quran to be anything to lose sleep over. Or a Muslim swearing is oath on the Bible for that matter.

I'm not a history expert either but I would assume that the use of the Bible in swearing in ceremonies was to establish some conviction to your duty. Like posted above if you don't believe whats in the Bible then how is swearing on it going to make you any more convicted to your duties than not. I think the founding fathers more or less intended for us to be able to do as we please without government tyranny. Pray in school if we want to but not be forced to. Isn't swearing on the Bible to be in office a little like government established religion? Of course, I see the other side too, as far as tradition goes. At the end of the day I really just don't see a Muslim swearing his oath of office on the Quran to be anything to lose sleep over. Or a Muslim swearing is oath on the Bible for that matter.

Can you imagine any country where one could "do as we please"? It's getting to where we are forced to NOT pray in school or anywhere outside our homes or churches, especially if you are Christian. Say what you want, I believe this country was founded with GOD in mind and I believe a government must govern morally too. This could go on and on but I will never believe the koran has any place in the United States Government.

Can you imagine any country where one could "do as we please"? It's getting to where we are forced to NOT pray in school or anywhere outside our homes or churches, especially if you are Christian. Say what you want, I believe this country was founded with GOD in mind and I believe a government must govern morally too. This could go on and on but I will never believe the koran has any place in the United States Government.

I won't argue with what you've said here but the issue of a Muslim swearing an oath on the Quran isn't ruining our governmentor the ideals it was based on, IMO.