I need a new Crock-Pot

theguru

I'll have to break mine out and try it again. I used it twice and was not a fan.

I felt the cooking all day in the crock pot allowed seasonings to blend more. Did chicken in the instapot and it came out very bland.

10 oz chicken breasts. Sautee in the device with whatever seasoning you like until you get the brownness you want. Remove the chicken, add a cup of water, put the chicken on the trivet and back in the pot. Seal and pressure cook for 10 minutes. Let it slow release pressure for 5 minutes then release the rest. Let them rest for 5 minutes. They've come out tender and juicy every time for me. (6-quart InstaPot.)

Here's the one I got my wife a few years ago that she still loves. It's programmable in several different ways (time, temperature, probe) and has a feature that will turn it down automatically to "warm" once your desired setting has been reached. She uses that all the time.

https://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-Programmable-Temperature-33969A/dp/B00EZI26GO/ref=sr_1_7

As good as it is, she still wanted to try an Instant Pot, so we got one of those a year or so ago. She loves that too. I asked her though if she wanted to get rid of the HB one, and she said absolutely not. Each has their own strengths and weaknesses.

Here's the one I got my wife a few years ago that she still loves. It's programmable in several different ways (time, temperature, probe) and has a feature that will turn it down automatically to "warm" once your desired setting has been reached. She uses that all the time.

https://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-Programmable-Temperature-33969A/dp/B00EZI26GO/ref=sr_1_7

As good as it is, she still wanted to try an Instant Pot, so we got one of those a year or so ago. She loves that too. I asked her though if she wanted to get rid of the HB one, and she said absolutely not. Each has their own strengths and weaknesses.

They all serve their purpose, though the electric pressure cookers work well as slow cookers too. I've not seen one with a temp probe though, that's a really good option to have. Any idea if you can set it to switch to warming mode once the meat hits a desired temp? If so I'll probably buy one to go with my foodi.

They all serve their purpose, though the electric pressure cookers work well as slow cookers too. I've not seen one with a temp probe though, that's a really good option to have. Any idea if you can set it to switch to warming mode once the meat hits a desired temp? If so I'll probably buy one to go with my foodi.

Yep. That warming feature is what my wife really likes about it. The other thing (and it has nothing to do with actual cooking) is that you can lock the lid on (do NOT do this while you're cooking, though). If we take a pot of chili or soup over to someone's house for potluck...you don't have to worry about the lid coming off while transporting it.

I can be a little slow sometimes... and I am still reading this thread and thinking about it.

To everyone using an Instant Pot, have most of you quit using a Crockpot in favor of the Instant Pot?

Yes. The crockpot is covered in dust.

One thing I'll miss if I ever move on from the crockpot is that feeling of being at work and knowing you have something tender and and delicious waiting in the crockpot at home. Then you get into that smell when you walk into the house after a long day.... Instapot can't recreate that for me.

One thing I'll miss if I ever move on from the crockpot is that feeling of being at work and knowing you have something tender and and delicious waiting in the crockpot at home. Then you get into that smell when you walk into the house after a long day.... Instapot can't recreate that for me.

I was floating along as I read along and I believe that is the first negative.

I was floating along as I read along and I believe that is the first negative.

They work as traditional slow cookers (crockpot) as well, you don't have to use the pressure cooker function. At least I know the foodi does, the only difference being you don't have the glass to observe the food through.

We typically use our foodi more as a slow cooker than as a pressure cooker, we also use the air fry/tendercrisp function more than pressure cooking.

It's nice to have the option to speed things up when you're short on time though. For instance we do a lot of Mississippi roasts and typically put them on in the morning before work and let them slow cook on low all day. But the last one we did we didn't have time to throw it all together in the morning and I was the first one home from work so I threw it together, pressure cooked it for 45 minutes then released the pressure and continued slow cooking until we were ready to eat. Finishing it off as a slow cooker really helped mend the flavors together.