I need a new Crock-Pot

theguru

8 quart?

And TDD/everyone, is there any disadvantage other than more expensive to buying the largest model even though it would be overkill at times?

Not really, they will take slightly longer to pressurize, but not long enough to matter. I'd buy the biggest that you have space for.

I'm with @JDEaston.

I've found with any type of cooker buy bigger than what you generally need. Otherwise there will be times when you wish you would have went with the larger model. In some cases (mainly gas grills) you should just buy what you need due to the extra fuel needed to heat it. But these things are really efficient and going from a 6 quart to an 8 quart isn't going to be noticable on your electric bill. But you do have the extra space when needed.

I've never cooked ribs in one and likely never will, it's just not for me. But they do turn out pretty good and that's one instance where the extra space would be helpful.

I've found with any type of cooker buy bigger than what you generally need. Otherwise there will be times when you wish you would have went with the larger model. In some cases (mainly gas grills) you should just buy what you need due to the extra fuel needed to heat it. But these things are really efficient and going from a 6 quart to an 8 quart isn't going to be noticable on your electric bill. But you do have the extra space when needed.

I've never cooked ribs in one and likely never will, it's just not for me. But they do turn out pretty good and that's one instance where the extra space would be helpful.

The best ribs I’ve ever had came out of my instapot. I do broil them for a few minutes at the end.

Mrs.S did a 2.5 lb chuck roast in the Insta Pot last night.

She made it the same way she does in a slow cooker. The difference was she used only one cooking device and it only took 70 minutes prep to table.

When she uses a slow cooker, she browns before cooking, so she always has to use a pan for browning. Then she puts the roast in the slow cooker with a cup of water and onion soup mix and lets it cook all day.

With the Insta Pot she browned the meat in it, removed the roast, added the cup of water and onion soup mix, pressure cooked it for 50 minutes, let it slow release for 10, then released the remaining steam and served. I actually like it better.

The best ribs I’ve ever had came out of my instapot. I do broil them for a few minutes at the end.

I'm just partial to smoked ribs that have a little tug to them. I'm not saying I wouldn't like them from one of these cookers, I've actually had some that my in laws made in their instant pot and then broiled. They did come out super tender and by broiling them after it firmed them up enough that you didn't have to eat them with a fork. But it's hard to beat smoked ribs.

Tried chops with my sous vide and they did not come out as well as the Insta Pot.However, sous vide is the only way to do steaks.

Blasphemy! Seriously though, sous vide can make a good steak if seasoned properly and then reverse seared once it's rare, with the sear bringing it up to midrare.

Personally I like my steaks about 1.5-2" thick and grilled indirect at about 225 with a little hickory wood until they hit 120, then I reverse sear them as mentioned above. They come out a perfect medium rare and full of juices.

We have both, and we use each for certain things. I've actually had chili in the crockpot all day.

The game changer for us has been the air fryer, I use it for alot of things.

I received one as a gift but I haven't used it yet.