Memorable state final performances

hurricane

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was impressed with Jacob Tamme against the Rock in 01 I believe. He made several key plays early on that really changed the tempo of the game...

Tamme was a great one for that Boyle attack in both '01 and '02.

Stats from 2001 AAA Title game:

5 catches for 67 yards and 2 TD's

2-2 throwing for 77 yards and 1 TD

1 Interception and 3 Tackles

Stats from 2002 AAA Title Game:

4 catches for 78 yards and 2 TD's

2 rushes for 10 yards

1 Interception and 2 Tackles

Imagine how much greater the 2000 squad would have been if Tamme had not broken his leg in the 4th game of the season and missed the rest of the year?

I felt that Tamme did more to change the 2002 game. The 2001 team was such an overwhelming attack with many weapons that helped strike hard and early. The 2002 team needed Tamme to take over and he did early in that game. Others have put up bigger stats but few have had a more dominating performance as those two contests.

I've watched more games across the board than most humans on the planet see in a lifetime, and that was the most amazing thing I've ever seen in any sporting event. It was almost surreal...

I'm glad I got to experience that one firsthand...funny there were people complaining of how cold it was, etc....I couldn't even tell.

How about Trinity's Defense in 1994??? Shaun Alexander had 32 carries for 96 yards and only 1 TD, when he averaged 300 yards per game and scored 47 TD's that year. It was simply amazing.

To be honest...that whole entire team played brilliant...we had no TO's they had 2, etc....ran the opening kickoff back, Coach Lampley retired....that was special...I am glad I was a part of that one as well.

I don't see it that way. They both reached the level they did because the other was there forcing them to that level. Any other opponent, and that's just one among many in this debate for either...

Ding! Ding! Ding!

We have a winner. Yes, GT had Brohm or Bush played against any other team it would have been a few hundred yards of offense, 4-5 TDs and then mop up duty the rest of the way. But they HAD to keep going at it because the other guy was making plays. Absolutely, the hands down winner. Amazing.

I will say Sergio Spencer and the other Male WR and McBroom and the other Trinity kid (sorry forgot names) were also pretty special. But then again, Brian and Michael just kept making plays.

I agree that the Bush/Brohm battle was in a class of its own. Nick Petrino put on quite a show last year. Threw for one score and ran for the other. The competition took Nick lightly and sold him short up until that game. They realize he is for real now. Lets go Nick, one more time baby!!!

How about Trinity's Defense in 1994??? Shaun Alexander had 32 carries for 96 yards and only 1 TD, when he averaged 300 yards per game and scored 47 TD's that year. It was simply amazing.

Another team had done that to Alexander during the regular season that year.

Brohm vs Bush is of course number 1. The funny thing about that game is that Trinity in a way was there own worse enemy. Trinity would score so fast with the crossing routes that there defense was on the field forever. The more you watch that game the more you see Trinity's defense losing steam. It was a heck of an ending.

Most of the other ones have alreayd been brought up. While not in the championship game, something that was odd was the Male team in 93. (I am not from Male) I think during their playoff run that year that scored almost all their pts off of defense and special teams. I want to say they had 2 games where their offense did not score at all.

Because someone had to throw the ball to him!

If you've seen the game, then you'd know that not all of those throws were 50 yard bombs. McBroom made play after play all day, too.

Brohm & Bush were/are the superstars on that field, but on that day I thought McBroom looked every bit their equal. Sergio Spencer had a nice game as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Best individual performance I have ever seen in a state championship game was by Eric Shelton of Bryan Station when they lost to St. X in overtime. I honestly felt he was the reason Station was even in the game. Shelton was phenominal in that game. As for a group defensive effort, I will go with '92 Highlands. Coming into the game the Mr. Football winner that year Billy Jack Haskins needed 74 yards to become the states all-time leading passer. He did not get it until the 4th quarter, and he almost didn't get it........