Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Memorable state final performances

Featured Replies

DaDa Walker from Danville in 1987. As a freshmen he blocks the extra point in overtime to seal a 24-23 victory over Mayfield. Thus, the great post-season rivalry began. Probably the most exciting finish to a title game EVER!!!

 

I was going to mention this game, was an amazing block as he came from around the end of the line.

  • Replies 72
  • Views 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DaDa Walker from Danville in 1987. As a freshmen he blocks the extra point in overtime to seal a 24-23 victory over Mayfield. Thus, the great post-season rivalry began. Probably the most exciting finish to a title game EVER!!!

 

The 87 state championship was the first game I ever saw Danville play. I had been dating a girl from Danville (now my wife) and had come up to have a visit with her family. It happened to be the weekend of the state championship and her Dad asked if I would like to go. I said sure. I had never been to a high school football championship game so I thought it would be fun. It was. I fell in love with high school football that day, not because Danville won but because the atmosphere was incredible. Years later when I eventually moved to Danville, I picked up where I left off in 87 and have missed very few games since.

In my opinion it would have to be in 1996 when Breathitt came in against the states leading rusher Derek Holmer. In the first half Derek ran all over Breathitt. The second half was totally different, Breathitt shut them down and won in overtime. I can't remember the score...........Or maybe in 2002 when Justin Haddix lead Breathitt into Papa Johns needing 2 touchdown passes to own the state record for most touchdown passes in a season. Again Breathitt was playing against a killer running game in Corbin. Jared Lawson I believe the kids name was(#42) was completely shut down and Breathitt ran away with it 51-0

 

His last name is Homer...the 2002 game was not in Papa John's Cardinal Stadium...it was in the Old Cardinal Stadium...the fact that Haddiz was left in the when the game was well in hand and Breathitt kept throwing the ball seems to be overlooked...they even kept him in one more series to get the record because the KHSAA had ruled that one of his passes was a backward lateral and they gave the receiver a rushing touchdown instead of a receiving touchdown.

 

 

 

Now as far as my opinion...gametime is correct yet incorrect in one small way...everyone is playing for third place in this category...the performances by Brohm and Bish in the 59-56 game go down as #1 and #2...I will have to give the nod to Brohm because he led is team to the title.

Now as far as my opinion...gametime is correct yet incorrect in one small way...everyone is playing for third place in this category...the performances by Brohm and Bish in the 59-56 game go down as #1 and #2...I will have to give the nod to Brohm because he led is team to the title.

I don't see it that way. They both reached the level they did because the other was there forcing them to that level. Any other opponent, and that's just one among many in this debate for either...

Now as far as my opinion...gametime is correct yet incorrect in one small way...everyone is playing for third place in this category...the performances by Brohm and Bish in the 59-56 game go down as #1 and #2...I will have to give the nod to Brohm because he led is team to the title.

No matter how you or gametime want to word it, you're both right. They're Nos. 1 and 1A. Anyone who says otherwise just didn't see the game.

I remember the 1976 2a Championship with Corbin and Mayfield...I'm a Mayfield fan, but, Corbin won the game 6-0...There noseguard(RC Thomas) I believe was his name, had like 23 tackles, 5 or 6 for loss and 3 or 4 sacks...I know most here would remember the offensive games, but, I'll tell you what, that guy was a beast and dominated the game from the defensive side...Probably the best game I ever saw from 1 player...

He may have had a great game, but you do not want to know where R.C. Thomas is today.

No matter how you or gametime want to word it, you're right. Anyone who says otherwise just didn't see it.

I've watched more games across the board than most humans on the planet see in a lifetime, and that was the most amazing thing I've ever seen in any sporting event. It was almost surreal...

I would have to say Kassy Clark who rushed for 295 yards and 4 TD'S Last year!!!!!!!

I've watched more games across the board than most humans on the planet see in a lifetime, and that was the most amazing thing I've ever seen in any sporting event. It was almost surreal...

It pains me that my videotape of that game is buried at the bottom of some box I can't find thanks to a move last year. But at least I know I've still got it somewhere.

It pains me that my videotape of that game is buried at the bottom of some box I can't find thanks to a move last year. But at least I know I've still got it somewhere.

I was on the field running camera for work, and kept the tape I ran after editing it down. No way I let that one go...

Belfry needed a 4th and 1 in OT in 03' to beat E-Town.

 

Talk about suspence.

 

D. Jones walked in. It was awesome

 

Belfry had 1 D-1 player on that team. E-Town had 4.

I would have to say Kassy Clark who rushed for 295 yards and 4 TD'S Last year!!!!!!!

I think that was 195 yards.

1983, Conner comes back from a 7-6 deficit to beat Franklin Simpson in the AAA contest 12-7. The first touchdown for Conner was a halfback to the quarterback. In that game, Conner coach Bob Lewis became the only coach to win a state title (at the time) in two states (Ohio at Wyoming).

Shane Isreal rushing for 4 TD's against a Bowling Green defense that the state hadn't seen in a long time last year going into the state finals!

 

Bush/Brohm hands down for #1!

 

Most memorable play has to be the ball thrown up in the air in the endzone on the last play of the game. The other team caught it in their endzone and it should have been a TD for them. Instead the ref ruled the play dead by a whistle that shouldn't have been blown. The kid celebrated to soon before taking the safety!

#2 play would be I think the New Cath/Danville game that was lost on a last second field goal. It was later realized that it probably would have been good on High School regulated goal posts but they were the college ones for this game.

It's a yearly tradition to bring that play up again. :)

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.