BluegrassPreps Class 3A Football Rankings (9/9) - Discussion

Ram

Class 3A

If there were ever a week to create separation at the top, this would be the week. All four of the Top 5 teams in action will get massive challenges against high quality competition. Highlighting the docket are a pair of Eastern Kentucky teams crossing state lines to the Buckeye State when Belfry and Ashland play traditional powerhouses. The trend also continues in the back half as well. Central Hardin is a 6A team poised for a successful season and Elizabethtown has already taken one loss to a county foe. Mercer County got a hard fought win over Anderson County, but take an even bigger step up against 4A's #1 ranked Boyle County.

1. Christian Academy of Louisville vs. 6A #5 Ballard

2. DeSales at 4A #3 Lexington Catholic

3. Belfry at Archbishop Alter (OH)

4. Bell County -- OPEN

5. Ashland at Wheelersburg (OH)

6. Elizabethtown vs. 6A #9 Central Hardin

7. Paducah Tilghman at 5A Graves County

8. Glasgow at 4A Allen County-Scottsville

9. Taylor County at 2A Green County

10. Mercer County vs. 4A #1 Boyle County

I think Russell deserves to be in the top 10. Somewhere about 9 or 10 or even 8. Russell's not getting any love on here. Russell went to Ironton and played one of the top d5 teams in Ohio close. Ohio football is just better than Kentucky football overall.

They are just outside at 11. If they keep winning, I imagine they will move up.

I think Russell deserves to be in the top 10. Somewhere about 9 or 10 or even 8. Russell's not getting any love on here. Russell went to Ironton and played one of the top d5 teams in Ohio close. Ohio football is just better than Kentucky football overall.

Based on resumes who do you put them ahead of? I think 11 is right but there’s probably a legitimate argument for top ten.

Mercer County for 1 they struggled with West Carter. While Russell just had the 1st points scored on them on the varsity team against division 5 power Ironton in a close 10-0 loss. That game was 3-0 until late in the 4th quarter. In my opinion if Mercer was for real they would have scored more than 21 on West Carter like I expected them to.

Let me say this. I have seen CAL play multiple times this year. While you can't argue with their success, they aren't a very solid team at this point. That doesn't mean that they won't bring home the hardware. I feel that Hunter is learning on the go. They have the horses to be special, I am just concerned when they really get punched in the mouth, that could expose some issues.

I would have thought a win over the 4A #8 team, would have bumped Mercer up a few spots. Rival, on the road, an opponent you had dropped 8 of 9 to, and a Bearcat team that went unblemished through the regular season last year, should support that argument. I’m assuming everyone above, held serve and not everyone was as impressed as I was, with the defense the Titans played Friday night? I know it’s really not important in the grand scheme of things, but a discussion point, from my prospective.

I would have thought a win over the 4A #8 team, would have bumped Mercer up a few spots. Rival, on the road, an opponent you had dropped 8 of 9 to, and a Bearcat team that went unblemished through the regular season last year, should support that argument. I’m assuming everyone above, held serve and not everyone was as impressed as I was, with the defense the Titans played Friday night? I know it’s really not important in the grand scheme of things, but a discussion point, from my prospective.

Tough call. My thoughts on Mercer is 1) they are good. Maybe very good. But they didn’t wow anyone in the first two weeks against less than great opponents. 2) Anderson might be overrated. They are good, but losing the running back brings some questions to the table.

Bottom line, I don’t think the difference between 7-11 is much at all. But somebody has to be placed somewhere and Tilghman’s performance against Mayfield without their quarterback, Glasgow’s explosive offense, and Taylor’s wins over Larue/Campbellsville rank just a hair higher than Mercer.

I think Bardstown should be in the top 10, though probably at 10. I would make the same argument that GOREDDEVILS makes for Russell. The Tigers had Pikeville down and let it slip away and I think Pikeville is an elite team. They knocked the petals off of Danville's rose. They really won't have an opportunity to show much else until 9/27 vs. Larue, although Washington County is not a bad football team. After 9/27, we can see where they are vis a vis Glasgow and Taylor County.

I think Bardstown should be in the top 10, though probably at 10. I would make the same argument that GOREDDEVILS makes for Russell. The Tigers had Pikeville down and let it slip away and I think Pikeville is an elite team. They knocked the petals off of Danville's rose. They really won't have an opportunity to show much else until 9/27 vs. Larue, although Washington County is not a bad football team. After 9/27, we can see where they are vis a vis Glasgow and Taylor County.

I should have said 7-12 in the above post. Russell and Bardstown are right outside but there is little to no difference. The Danville win is probably better in name than deed, but the late whipping was impressive.

Thing is, the line has to be drawn somewhere. Ten is an arbitrary number but because it is there’s two really solid teams just outside the door.