Jeopardy Guy - James Holzhauer

Yes. One of the matches, he played a perfect round, answering every question that he buzzed in on correctly.

He is literally going to change how the game is played going forward. He has embraced game theory, and is using a strategy to maximize the amount of money won.

I believe he has had a few perfect games. I do not believe he missed anything he buzzed in on yesterday.

The strategy is nothing new or innovative. He is just the only one able to make it work.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe he has had a few perfect games. I do not believe he missed anything he buzzed in on yesterday.

The strategy is nothing new or innovative. He is just the only one able to make it work.

I'd disagree that it's not new. Almost everyone who has played the game, starts with the cheaper questions, and rarely use the daily doubles to their max or near max value. He finds the daily doubles because he doesn't mess around with cheap questions early, as the daily doubles are typically in higher value questions. This makes sure he has a high bankroll when he finds the DD. Granted, it takes some luck, and skill to make this work. But in the 30+ years the show has been on in its current format, no one has even come close to doing what he's done, which is why I say what he's doing is unique and different. No other player has attacked the board like he has.

I'd disagree that it's not new. Almost everyone who has played the game, starts with the cheaper questions, and rarely use the daily doubles to their max or near max value. He finds the daily doubles because he doesn't mess around with cheap questions early, as the daily doubles are typically in higher value questions. This makes sure he has a high bankroll when he finds the DD. Granted, it takes some luck, and skill to make this work. But in the 30+ years the show has been on in its current format, no one has even come close to doing what he's done, which is why I say what he's doing is unique and different. No other player has attacked the board like he has.

I hear you, but this is still Math 101. You have more money, you can risk more money. I have seen countless occasions where contestants start at the bottom of a board, but they can't hold on to it like he does. Now he does wager more than an average contestant would to build his cushion, but at that point his cushion is so large it is a moot point. It is not as if he decoded the board. His primary advantages are intelligence and quick reflexes.

I hear you, but this is still Math 101. You have more money, you can risk more money. I have seen countless occasions where contestants start at the bottom of a board, but they can't hold on to it like he does. Now he does wager more than an average contestant would to build his cushion, but at that point his cushion is so large it is a moot point. It is not as if he decoded the board. His primary advantages are intelligence and quick reflexes.

I feel like a lot of the best players jump around all over the board and don't really start from the bottom or the top. Seems like a lot of them do it during their Champions tournaments and/or that Team thing they did recently.

I love James and the gambler in him. I also hope he's on the show for a long time. People made fun of me for watching him so much, but I find it very entertaining. I like guessing how much he'll wager on his Final Jeopardy question. I've almost nailed his last couple wagers.

On his double jeopardies wagers that he doesn't go all in on, I feel like he picks the thousand that he wants to say and then just randomly says a number thinking someone might screw up their math at the end if it's close? Also another strategy that you don't see often.

On his double jeopardies wagers that he doesn't go all in on, I feel like he picks the thousand that he wants to say and then just randomly says a number thinking someone might screw up their math at the end if it's close? Also another strategy that you don't see often.

He has said what those are. It is significant dates or numbers with meaning (eg. an anniversary or a birth date). Don't believe that is a strategy thing.