Jeopardy Guy - James Holzhauer

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

James won super easily tonight with another $74K day putting him over $2 million total.

Guy averages roughly $75K a show, which is about the highest total before he came along.

Insane.

In yesterday’s game he won roughly $52k. Before he started his run, that would have been the 9th highest total ever. It’s only 28th highest now.

James won super easily tonight with another $74K day putting him over $2 million total.

Guy averages roughly $75K a show, which is about the highest total before he came along.

Insane.

77,000 was the highest single day before he came along. He basically averages that.

He is unbelievable.

He’s cheating.

I lean more towards a "plant" for ratings but I could be wrong. Here's a paragraph on his strategy from his Wikipedia page:

Holzhauer has taken a two-pronged approach to play. He goes for the highest values on the board first to maximize the money he has available to wager when he hits a Daily Double.[37][38] On Daily Doubles and during Final Jeopardy! clues, Holzhauer bids aggressively. Without factoring in Daily Doubles or Final Jeopardy! wagers, Holzhauer's average score of nearly $30,000 (60% of the available money in each episode) is slightly higher than that of Ken Jennings, who was far more conservative in his wagering; Holzhauer considers it more logical to make large bets that will usually pay off,[38] since he averages 35.5 correct responses per game and only 1.04 wrong responses (through his first 25 episodes).[39] He credits reading fact books written for children, with their heavy use of infographics, for allowing him to learn vast amounts of information in an easily digestible manner.[40] He took a year off from his job as a sports gambler to study for Jeopardy!.[41]

James Holzhauer - Wikipedia

This morning I had breakfast with a father of a previous Jeopardy contestant. He shared some info I thought some of you might enjoy.

1). We are probably looking at 5-8 months delay since the actual contests were filmed. Highly punitive forfeiture of winnings if show results are revealed prior to its' airing. The long time delay greatly explains the obvious physical degradation of Alex in his cancer battle seen in his interview (last week) with Robin Roberts vs how he looks on the show.

2). 5 shows are filmed in a daily session and contestants are told to bring two extra changes of clothes with them should they win a session. Certainly explains why James so often has the same clothes on. Additionally, one can understand how the other night he just seemed not to be himself. Show was possibly one of those 4th/5th he completed that day and mental fatique might have set in.

3). Perhaps this backgound info makes me appreciate James' brilliance even more. His performance is a "can't miss watching" for me and my wife.

A short term ratings boost wouldn't be worth ruining the franchise forever if it came out the show was helping him.

If this was a deal like in the movie where he's getting the answers and it came out, Jeopardy would be over.

Too big of a risk for them to cheat.

A short term ratings boost wouldn't be worth ruining the franchise forever if it came out the show was helping him.

If this was a deal like in the movie where he's getting the answers and it came out, Jeopardy would be over.

Yep. Typical conspiracy theory. Considering how many people would have to be involved, and the risks involved, its unlikely a fix is in. Too many people would have to know, AND keep their mouths shut.

Pretty sure it would also be illegal.

Don't forget this competition actually took place months ago. See Post#82.