Jeopardy Guy - James Holzhauer

Anyone else watching this dude on Jeopardy, James Holzhauer?

12 wins in a row, which isn't crazy...but he's won $851,926.

It took Ken Jennings his entire run of 74 games to get to $2.4 million.

The guy is a professional sports gambler and a few years ago destroyed the game show The Chase.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been off work for a month now after shoulder surgery, so I have watched every episode James has played thus far. Actually watching today's episode while posting this. In addition to his somewhat unorthodox approach to how he plays the game, I read an article about how he prepared to an extent. He said children's books on any subject matter is a great way to quickly learn the nuts and bolts on just about anything. I thought that was pretty unique and creative.

You can tell he is very well read but I'm also curious to see what his IQ is.

Jeopardy is much watch television right now. Heck, we are even recording them all to make sure we don't miss them. Guy is amazing.

James is averaging over double per game what Ken Jennings was averaging.

Sure makes it fun to watch.

I typically try to watch when I can. Once I had shouldery surgery and knew I'd be off for a while I set it for DVR and then along came James. He has, to an extent helped people get past the somber news of Trebek's recent diagnoses.

Has said he'd love a head to head match against Ken Jennings. That would be a prime time ratings monster if they went 5 nights in a row.

I agree but they have to let James get his first.

Side note, I watch often and when they do the tournament of champions games those questions are very difficult. I hate to sell James short but I'm not sure how he would do in a tournament of champions round vs Jennings or any of the other big winners. With that said, I would love to find out.

I read something the other day about this guy, and they mentioned something that a lot of people often overlook...and that's the ability to buzz in at the appropriate time. Apparently, you are not allowed to do that until Alex is done reading the question. And, if you do precede him, not only does it not allow it...but, it penalizes you for another half-second until after he's done.

So, not only is it important to have the knowledge, but it's also very important to be able to be calm under pressure and not jump the gun. These other contestants may be just as knowledgable, and score just as high on a written test...but, once on stage, just can't get into the groove of knowing when it's okay to press that button.

I agree but they have to let James get his first.

Side note, I watch often and when they do the tournament of champions games those questions are very difficult. I hate to sell James short but I'm not sure how he would do in a tournament of champions round vs Jennings or any of the other big winners. With that said, I would love to find out.

Didn't James get something like 40 questions in a row correct?

Didn't James get something like 40 questions in a row correct?

Yes. One of the matches, he played a perfect round, answering every question that he buzzed in on correctly.

He is literally going to change how the game is played going forward. He has embraced game theory, and is using a strategy to maximize the amount of money won.