April 8, 20197 yr First of all, I do have kids, so I know first hand. Anyway, at church this morning, a little one (couldn’t tell you how old, I don’t know), nearly cried continuously throughout the whole mass. The family was sitting near near the back of the church, a mere 20 feet from the crying room. There is a speaker there, so you are not missing anything. Was a huge distraction the whole time. For the record, when my kids got noisy, yes, I took them to the crying room as not to bother others. Is this too much to expect?
April 8, 20197 yr I'm mixed about this. Yes, obvious misbehavior in church should be addressed by either taking the child to another room or outside. Parents should spend the time BEFORE church to prepare the child. Set the example by showing how important it is to visit the Lord's house. However, on the other hand, I'm glad that children are there. They are the future of the Church. None of us are perfect. That's why it is good that all are invited and all are welcome.
April 8, 20197 yr I used to think that way (it's there, why aren't you using it?!?)...until...one week our minister addressed it. (It was done as part of an illustration for the topic he was speaking on.) He said he was asked one time if he was bothered or distracted by the crying baby in the back. He replied, "not at all". He said a baby's crying is proof that that mother chose life over having an abortion...and who was he (the minister) to say he was "inconvienced" by one of God' great gifts to us. That was 10-12 years ago, and I have thought about that each and every time a baby cries during a service. Every. Single. Time. This is how I look at it...if a mother/father becomes uncomfortable about bringing her/his child to church...maybe they stops coming themselves. Who knows how that may affect the family down the road. Maybe they go to another church. Maybe they don't. Maybe the kid grows up to be "normal". Maybe he grows up to be a serial killer. I don't know. The only thing I DO know is...I don't want to have to explain to the Lord Almighty why, in His house, I considered myself to be more important than someone else. So, if I become distracted in church...that's on me.
April 8, 20197 yr I used to think that way (it's there, why aren't you using it?!?)...until...one week our minister addressed it. (It was done as part of an illustration for the topic he was speaking on.) He said he was asked one time if he was bothered or distracted by the crying baby in the back. He replied, "not at all". He said a baby's crying is proof that that mother chose life over having an abortion...and who was he (the minister) to say he was "inconvienced" by one of God' great gifts to us. That was 10-12 years ago, and I have thought about that each and every time a baby cries during a service. Every. Single. Time. This is how I look at it...if a mother/father becomes uncomfortable about bringing her/his child to church...maybe they stops coming themselves. Who knows how that may affect the family down the road. Maybe they go to another church. Maybe they don't. Maybe the kid grows up to be "normal". Maybe he grows up to be a serial killer. I don't know. The only thing I DO know is...I don't want to have to explain to the Lord Almighty why, in His house, I considered myself to be more important than someone else. So, if I become distracted in church...that's on me. Well, I had a Priest once look at parent with their kid who was crying for some time, and he eventually said, "I'm sorry, I cannot compete with that." It is easy to say it is on myself/yourself if I cannot devote my full attention to the service. Some are able to do this. I am unable to stay focused, regardless if it personally offends me or not. That is a tough position to be in as a parent.
April 8, 20197 yr Couldn't agree more @Pile Driver. Whenever I hear a child relentlessly crying and watch as the parent tries to "soothe instead of remove", it burns me up. I always wonder what goes through a parent's mind when they decide to inflict that upon the general public instead of doing the honorable thing.
April 8, 20197 yr I've never understood how a parent could remain in a worshipful mindset while dealing with a crying infant. I don't see what anyone gains by keeping a crying baby in a sanctuary during a time of worship. Having said that, Jesus once shut down an attempt to have children removed while he taught.
April 9, 20197 yr Couldn't agree more @Pile Driver. Whenever I hear a child relentlessly crying and watch as the parent tries to "soothe instead of remove", it burns me up. I always wonder what goes through a parent's mind when they decide to inflict that upon the general public instead of doing the honorable thing. I agree 1000%. One of my pet peeves as well. My kids were not perfect growing up, but I insisted they behave in public, and they were always pretty good. As infants, either my husband or I would walk a crying baby outside. Can’t stand it when parents think it’s natural for kids to act up and believe nobody notices. Don’t even get me started on restaurants!
April 9, 20197 yr Don’t even get me started on restaurants! I know, right? If you're on an airplane, it's a little different for obvious reasons but if there's a way to remove the distraction from those around you, it's the responsible thing to do. I always wonder in situations like that if the parent is just distracted by the situation or if they are simply inconsiderate.
April 12, 20197 yr A crying infant is different than a child misbehaving. Crying infants have never bothered me. I don't find a church not welcoming of a crying infant very welcoming.
April 12, 20197 yr I know, right? If you're on an airplane, it's a little different for obvious reasons but if there's a way to remove the distraction from those around you, it's the responsible thing to do. I always wonder in situations like that if the parent is just distracted by the situation or if they are simply inconsiderate. I think their should be a minimum age to be able to fly.
April 13, 20197 yr I think their should be a minimum age to be able to fly. I've seen more obnoxious adults than infants/children on flights. Being older doesn't prevent someone from being an annoyance.
April 14, 20197 yr On the flip side, grown adults, without little kids, and teens shouldn’t take up space in the cry room either...
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.