DNA Test Results - The Federal Database is growing

theguru

My entire family once went to a drive for a bone marrow search. We all did the spit specimen. Didn’t think a thing about it. I would also think I had nothing to hide, but the government access is kinda scary. Makes me hope that future bone marrow drives won’t hurt because of it.

I've heard the rumors that the Chinese government (and likely others) already have access to these databases. Seriously if you're clever enough, you could probably get anything from anyone. But, better safe than sorry, ’m with those that are leery and have decided against it lol.

There is a lot of uncharted territory in legality with this issue. There are reasons to be concerned IMO. Companies go out of business, they can be sold, privacy statements also change. Who knows what might happen to your data then? I think there are reasons to at least be leery.

I did one about a year ago, but in my case I had no knowledge of my own genetics. I did it for the sake of having an idea where I came from. While I have no interest in knowing who gave birth to me or who donated the other half of the genetic material I was curious as to the genetic markers and where my ancestors came from.

I want to do one just to learn more about my ancestors. I am always leery about the government knowing more about me than I want them to know and sadly my mindset is screw it, they probably know what they want to know at this point anyways.

Slightly off topic:

One of my favorite scenes in the first Hangover movie is when they are at the police station and they get tased by the kids. After they all get tased Rob Riggle(playing the role of a cop) then asks the kids who all wants to get finger printed and they all get happy and are ready to go get finger printed. I still laugh hard at that scene to this day.

I know what you mean, but hospitals and doctor's offices probably already have it or at least had it at some point.

Technically, yeah if you get blood work done. Most specimens are destroyed after 72 hours. It would be against the law to give it to anybody, including the government, without a warrant. Not saying the government never over reaches, but cannot believe they would be able to access DNA on a large scale basis this way.

I would think the commercial DNA places aren’t held to the same privacy standards.

• 3 weeks later...

My mother is adopted (72 years old) and within the last 2 years did the DNA test and tracked down her biological mother (deceased) and 1/2 brother and sisters (Alive).

Her oldest sibling agreed to do DNA test to help confirm my mother as a sibling, which they were.

Fast forward 6 months ago...My Mom's newly found half brother was contacted by a 40 year old lady...whose DNA matched his...He had a daughter he never knew about.

Be careful @PurplePride92 :idunno: