KHSAA Board Of Control Votes In New Football Playoff Format

You know what would reduce a lot of travel and keep some of the 0-10 and 1-9 teams out of the playoffs? Reverting back to four classes.

When you continually tweak the format, you are just admitting that the current way isn't working. How many tweaks were made from 1984-2006? One. Four teams from a district make the playoffs. That is all. Since the switch to six classes, we have seen cross-bracketing, to intra-district, to cross-bracketing, and now back to intra-district in the first round. We've seen state championship games moved to Sunday afternoon. We've seen first round byes. We've seen five teams in a district make the playoffs. We've seen a mandatory scheduling grid for regular season games. And we've seen rotating regions for first round games. It's just rearranging chairs on the six-class Titanic.

I simply cannot like this post enough. It seems there is nothing they won’t do to try to make it work rather than ever admit that they have erred. Thank goodness we have an “adult in the room” like Tackett. :rolleyes:

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know what would reduce a lot of travel and keep some of the 0-10 and 1-9 teams out of the playoffs? Reverting back to four classes.

When you continually tweak the format, you are just admitting that the current way isn't working. How many tweaks were made from 1984-2006? One. Four teams from a district make the playoffs. That is all. Since the switch to six classes, we have seen cross-bracketing, to intra-district, to cross-bracketing, and now back to intra-district in the first round. We've seen state championship games moved to Sunday afternoon. We've seen first round byes. We've seen five teams in a district make the playoffs. We've seen a mandatory scheduling grid for regular season games. And we've seen rotating regions for first round games. It's just rearranging chairs on the six-class Titanic.

Bravo. :thumb:

I simply cannot like this post enough. It seems there is nothing they won’t do to try to make it work rather than ever admit that they have erred. Thank goodness we have an “adult in the room” like Tackett. :rolleyes:

I still can't think of Tackett, without thinking of him tagging himself as the "adult in the room". Makes me laugh every single time.

I will echo what everyone else is saying. Perfectly said.

I can’t like this enough. We gave 6 classes A a fair shot. Let’s get back to 4 classes and play ball!

Just like everyone is saying the changes show that six classes don't work, I say the fact that we switched from four classes and have been with six classes over 10 years now shows that four classes don't work. I think five classes is the right number. I think 6A and 1A should stay with 32 teams and split the middle into three classes. Set up a qualification process for the three middle classes that puts 32 teams into the postseason and the rest are eliminated in the regular season.

Just like everyone is saying the changes show that six classes don't work, I say the fact that we switched from four classes and have been with six classes over 10 years now shows that four classes don't work. I think five classes is the right number. I think 6A and 1A should stay with 32 teams and split the middle into three classes. Set up a qualification process for the three middle classes that puts 32 teams into the postseason and the rest are eliminated in the regular season.

Just out of curiosity where would that put Beechwood?

Agreed. 4 classes simply is not enough to provide a reasonable gap from the largest to the smallest teams in each class. The lack of competitive balance as a result, would hurt football in the long run, and possibly lead to smaller teams, who are already struggling with numbers, dropping the sport. I don't have any issue with trying new concepts...sports like everything else should continue to evolve, and tweaks to a system in my eyes, doesn't constitute failure. Quite honestly, I'm fine with 6 classes. While I don't necessarily mind all teams making the postseason (and I won't beat the dead horse, hyperbole of "everyone getting a trophy" argument), I'd be perfectly fine with reducing the number of teams that make it from each district to 2. That cuts out on the 1 vs 4 games that really serve no purpose, and cuts a week off the already too long season. Yes some worthy #3 teams might get left out, but no plan can please everyone. I'm perfectly fine with seeding as well. While we are at it, lets seed all the sports, especially wrestling.

Once the same teams keep hosting the third and fourth round every year of this format, there will be an outcry over that.

If we must keep six classes, and this all started with the large class schools getting tired of competing with Trinity and St. X every year, then let 6A have the 8 or 16 biggest teams, let 1A have the 16 smallest teams, then divide the rest into 4 classes. That would do away with some of the biggest population disparities which occur at the top and the bottom of the enrollment list. Then there would be 45-50 teams in each of the other classes which would put 5 or 6 teams per district so at least you’d have to win a game to get in the playoffs.

But there’s still never going to be a way to satisfy everybody.