KHSAA Board Of Control Votes In New Football Playoff Format

I am stunned they did not do a one-year phase-in. There was almost no input by member schools. Many schedules are already set for 2019 and there was no foreknowledge of the RPI. Teams would not have scheduled district opponents in week 9 if they knew they were playing again in week 12.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am stunned they did not do a one-year phase-in. There was almost no input by member schools. Many schedules are already set for 2019 and there was no foreknowledge of the RPI. Teams would not have scheduled district opponents in week 9 if they knew they were playing again in week 12.

I'm never stunned by anything the KHSAA does at this point. And frankly, they'd probably rather there be no proof that they didn't follow the input of their member schools, which is why they didn't solicit it.

Something to keep in mind, there are eight fewer schools playing football in 2018 than in 2006 because of consolidation. 222 schools divided by four classes is 55.5 schools, which is still 6-7 teams per district. You may have some with five or some with 8. But there wouldn't be three or four team districts.

Five classes would mean around 44 teams per class and 4-5 teams per district. There would still be the chance of 0-10 and 1-9 teams getting in.

Does anyone else notice that when coaches mention, propose or urge classification of sports, the KHSAA tweaks or changes the football playoff format?

Agreed. 4 classes simply is not enough to provide a reasonable gap from the largest to the smallest teams in each class. The lack of competitive balance as a result, would hurt football in the long run, and possibly lead to smaller teams, who are already struggling with numbers, dropping the sport. I don't have any issue with trying new concepts...sports like everything else should continue to evolve, and tweaks to a system in my eyes, doesn't constitute failure. Quite honestly, I'm fine with 6 classes. While I don't necessarily mind all teams making the postseason (and I won't beat the dead horse, hyperbole of "everyone getting a trophy" argument), I'd be perfectly fine with reducing the number of teams that make it from each district to 2. That cuts out on the 1 vs 4 games that really serve no purpose, and cuts a week off the already too long season. Yes some worthy #3 teams might get left out, but no plan can please everyone. I'm perfectly fine with seeding as well. While we are at it, lets seed all the sports, especially wrestling.

I am with you on all that except going down to the top 2 making the playoffs. My thought is let the top 3 into the playoffs and give the #1 seeds a bye in the first round. I definitely prefer 6 classes over 4 classes.

I agree. Also most games are on a two year home-home contract. They will now have to wait for the 2021 season to switch it up.

I am with you on all that except going down to the top 2 making the playoffs. My thought is let the top 3 into the playoffs and give the #1 seeds a bye in the first round. I definitely prefer 6 classes over 4 classes.

I'm ok with 3 getting in too. I just like the idea of shortening the season a week by eliminating a round more. Going back to 4 classes I think would be a big step backwards, and hurt the sport way more than it would help it.

I'm ok with 3 getting in too. I just like the idea of shortening the season a week by eliminating a round more. Going back to 4 classes I think would be a big step backwards, and hurt the sport way more than it would help it.

I don't see why people call for shortening the season. Football season is about the same length as soccer season except for those schools that make it to the final 8 and beyond.

6 classes benefits the kids.

A few of you mentioned why: better competitive balance in district. There is a disparity in football in this state, and shrinking classes will result in less schools playing football.

Shrinking classes, or even playoffs, isn't going to wave a magic wand and make games competitive for hour enjoyment (which, uh, reminder, is not the purpose of High School sports)

The CFB Playoff only let 4 schools in (0.3%) and every game was a blowout.

The NFL lets almost half of the league in and plenty of blowouts.

6 classes is best for kids, and blowouts in the playoffs will happen in a 2 class system.

I don't see why people call for shortening the season. Football season is about the same length as soccer season except for those schools that make it to the final 8 and beyond.

For what it's worth, I think almost all the seasons are a couple weeks too long and bleed too far into the next season. Although, that could be addressed by starting each season a little later....August 1st for fall, November 1st for winter, March 1st for spring.

I don't understand what you are saying? How would you not schedule a district opponent in week 9? Assuming you are talking about a 4 team district (which most are), it is required to play district games in weeks 8,9,10. The order of who you play in district isn't even the school's choice as KHSAA lays that out as well.

I would agree that having a couple years to adjust schedules would've been better. For example, I know a team that would not have taken a bye week 11 if this was in place when they were scheduling. It is entirely possible now that they will play their district rival in week 10 (their last game) and again in the first round of the playoffs.

6 classes benefits the kids.

A few of you mentioned why: better competitive balance in district. There is a disparity in football in this state, and shrinking classes will result in less schools playing football.

Shrinking classes, or even playoffs, isn't going to wave a magic wand and make games competitive for hour enjoyment (which, uh, reminder, is not the purpose of High School sports)

The CFB Playoff only let 4 schools in (0.3%) and every game was a blowout.

The NFL lets almost half of the league in and plenty of blowouts.

6 classes is best for kids, and blowouts in the playoffs will happen in a 2 class system.

I really don't have a strong grasp of why the argument against going back to four classes always centers on that there would be fewer teams playing football. Why? Why would that be? Usually the argument was that six classes resulted in more teams going to the playoffs and giving those kids something to play for. But for a great many of those teams, that simply means one more time to get their heads kicked in. The only positive thing you can say for moving to intradistrict play in the playoffs is that it now means that they no longer have to travel as great a distance to have it happen.

There is no evidence to support the notion that four classes will result in schools dropping football. How many schools had outright dropped it in the decade before 2007? Not talking about consolidations, outright dropped.

Part of the excitement of the playoffs is playing teams you hardly ever play in the regular season. Hate, hate, hate this idea. I want to read that "the last time these two teams played was in the regional finals 6 years ago". Not "the last time these to teams played was two weeks ago"

If shortening the season meant backing up the start date to Labor Day weekend or the weekend after, yet still ending the 1st weekend of December like it does (which less teams would be taken to the playoffs & maybe only a 9 game regular season) then I'd be all for it & it would probably increase numbers- but, that's for a completely different topic.

Part of the excitement of the playoffs is playing teams you hardly ever play in the regular season. Hate, hate, hate this idea. I want to read that "the last time these two teams played was in the regional finals 6 years ago". Not "the last time these to teams played was two weeks ago"

The regional finals is the seeded part. You won't play anyone from your district in that round.