Mack or Calipari

The Double Deuce

Calipari or Mack for Next 10 Years  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Calipari or Mack for Next 10 Years

This came up at lunch today, from a die-hard UK fan whose answer was surprising to me, and I wanted to throw it to the huddled masses of BGP.

First and foremost, Calipari has accomplished WAY MORE in his career than Chris Mack, that is understood. However, if you could have one or the other today to lead your program, understanding Mack is on the come, and Calipari is on the back-half of his career, who would you take for the next 10 years. You don't need to count on more than 10, but you have to have one or the other for the next 10 years. Assume money is the same, although Calipari obviously makes far more money today than Mack does.

It’s tough. For one thing I don’t believe Calipari will coach for the next 10 years. I think Cal has about 4 good years left. The other thing is I’m not sure what kind of recruiter Mack is yet. He recruited well at X but some of the guys you are recruiting at Louisville are of a different caliber than at X. In the hypothetical presented and both were coaching for the next 10 years, I would take Cal but it’s not as easy of a decision as 1 would think.

As I have said, in Cal's prime he could coach with anyone but I think he is like Knight and Crum who also in their prime could coach with anyone but the latter part of thier careers were goos but not as stellar as they used to be. I would take Mack who looks to be getting better and better.

I hope Cal proves me wrong.

Coach Mack stepped on himself in the Crosstown Shootout that ended in a brawl. His postgame television/newspaper comments were stressful for an X guy. Mick Cronin performed in the same stressful environment in a way that displayed a level of class that was admirable. Point being, I suspect Coach Mack has grown dramatically from the immaturatety of those days. His growth and intensity gives me great optimism for the U.L. Program. I believe Coach Cal is only good for us at UK for 3 more years; so, I'll take Coach Mack. If the question was only for the 3 year horizon I would take Coach Cal.