5A #1 Covington Catholic vs 5A #6 Highlands

CCHDynasty

Who wins?  

139 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

There have been many games during this rivalry, in the past, where one of these teams has the obvious athletic advantage, or clearly has the better team. Historically, that has not always meant victory for either side. That is what makes this rivalry so much fun for both sides. Crazy things can happen in this rivalry, and it has been unpredictable at times. This game might be closer than people think, especially when you consider how comfortable CCH looks right now, and the fact that Highlands looks hungry again. It's hard to make a prediction here, but I can't wait to see how it plays out.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CCH is clearly the favorite, but I think the early running clock claims are a bit of an extreme. Let’s look at some common opponents. CCH beat BW by 35. BW barely beat SK, while HHS dominated SK. Not saying this is a perfect formula, but nothing this year shows HHS should get blown out in this one. I think it’s closer than many expect.

I don’t see a running clock...I see a 2-3 score win for CCH right now. Too many starters out...come playoff time it will be a running clock.

What Colonels are out for this game?

There have been many games during this rivalry, in the past, where one of these teams has the obvious athletic advantage, or clearly has the better team. Historically, that has not always meant victory for either side. That is what makes this rivalry so much fun for both sides. Crazy things can happen in this rivalry, and it has been unpredictable at times. This game might be closer than people think, especially when you consider how comfortable CCH looks right now, and the fact that Highlands looks hungry again. It's hard to make a prediction here, but I can't wait to see how it plays out.

An HHS win would absolutely be an upset. How would it stack up to other upsets in the series? What are the biggest upsets you can remember between these two teams?

CCH is clearly the favorite, but I think the early running clock claims are a bit of an extreme. Let’s look at some common opponents. CCH beat BW by 35. BW barely beat SK, while HHS dominated SK. Not saying this is a perfect formula, but nothing this year shows HHS should get blown out in this one. I think it’s closer than many expect.

You can always spin the comparative scores to make a point....it just depends on how you want to spin it. Scott County drubbed Highlands, Henry Clay drubbed Scott County, and CCH put a running clock on Henry Clay in the first half.

An HHS win would absolutely be an upset. How would it stack up to other upsets in the series? What are the biggest upsets you can remember between these two teams?

In 92 Cov Cath was a huge favorite to win state. I think McCormick their QB was a D1 guy. Cov Cath beat Highlands by 20+ points in the regular season. In the playoffs at Cov Cath it was really muddy and Highlands won like 14-7 or something. Highlands went on to win state. I believe McCormick was on the state championships program cover, I guess they assumed he would be there.

Don't ask me why I remember it so vividly, but in 95 Cov Cath was loaded with talent again, and was supposed to beat Highlands easily, I had heard a 3 TD underdog. Highlands won 48-18 in the first matchup. The playoff game was a much closer, 3-0, outing. Both games were played at Cov Cath because Highlands was a 3 seed in the district while Cov Cath was still the 1 seed for the playoffs... rival games can be weird.

Don't ask me why I remember it so vividly, but in 95 Cov Cath was loaded with talent again, and was supposed to beat Highlands easily, I had heard a 3 TD underdog. Highlands won 48-18 in the first matchup. The playoff game was a much closer, 3-0, outing. Both games were played at Cov Cath because Highlands was a 3 seed in the district while Cov Cath was still the 1 seed for the playoffs... rival games can be weird.

I’m very familiar with that season and don’t recall CCH a predominant favorite that season. When Frisk was forced to leave CCH and he became a Bird, anything could happen that year.