5A #1 Covington Catholic vs 5A #6 Highlands

CCHDynasty

Who wins?  

139 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

Will this one get chippy? To be honest I don’t really remember a game in this rivalry getting “chippy” like Miami and FSU were over the weekend. I guess that’s what happens with two classy programs? Now the fans are another story....

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Game was a tossup. CovCath missed a field goal at the buzzer in the regular season game that would have won the game in Park Hills. Over the years, the legend has cast the game into a David vs. Goliath match up that just wasn't the case.

All I know is that the 97 Highlands team was arguably the most talented to ever go though the program. Definitely the most talented not to get a state title, in my opinion.

To keep the game from becoming a running clock HHS offence will need to give the defense some rest. The one run and two pass then done is not going to cut it. The defense is much improved but they need time off the field.

If the starting QB is not able to complete the short route up the field pass then JV QB needs to come in and take over. Also it will be a along night if HHS does not make changes with personnel and start playing guys both ways.

Come in and take over what?

When you have high snaps the first read is gone completely. The second read is gone when he begins to scramble or roll out! Now, what do you suggest? Just run wild cat formation with the RB’s? The third read was there with tough throws only at locations the receivers had minimal chance to make a catch! Yes, sometimes the QB makes those throws that look bad on purpose. The combination of bad snaps, couple bad throws/reads, bad routes, wrong routes, no blocking/ lack of speed and just plain giving up on plays. 330 total passing yards and still have problems. You don’t bench anyone and bring in a back up! The short passing game has been there all year!

When you have high snaps the first read is gone completely. The second read is gone when he begins to scramble or roll out! Now, what do you suggest? Just run wild cat formation with the RB’s? The third read was there with tough throws only at locations the receivers had minimal chance to make a catch! Yes, sometimes the QB makes those throws that look bad on purpose. The combination of bad snaps, couple bad throws/reads, bad routes, wrong routes, no blocking/ lack of speed and just plain giving up on plays. 330 total passing yards and still have problems. You don’t bench anyone and bring in a back up! The short passing game has been there all year!

Doing the 2 back set with Buten and Coop both in has looked great for the Birds. Not sure why it’s used so infrequently. It allows for some misdirection and opens up some big holes. Also gives an extra blocker if the pocket breaks down and allows them to swing it out into the flat and gave the ball in space. It seems like we see it 1-2 times/game when it should be a primary set.

"I have heard a lot about the CCH LB's, but not much about the Dline. Who are their studs up front?"

For some reason, my reply quote button doesn't work right. My apologies. John Lawrie may have been hurt in the last game, he is solid D lineman. From the games I have seen and listened to, Grant Hemmer stands out to me on CCH D-line. He's big, fast, and very disruptive. I think he has played Off tackle with Lucas Jones out, which may take away some of his defensive energy. Hopeful of the return of Jones, Schreiber, and Lawrie soon to see them at full strength.

"I have heard a lot about the CCH LB's, but not much about the Dline. Who are their studs up front?"

For some reason, my reply quote button doesn't work right. My apologies. John Lawrie may have been hurt in the last game, he is solid D lineman. From the games I have seen and listened to, Grant Hemmer stands out to me on CCH D-line. He's big, fast, and very disruptive. I think he has played Off tackle with Lucas Jones out, which may take away some of his defensive energy. Hopeful of the return of Jones, Schreiber, and Lawrie soon to see them at full strength.

Thanks for the info! Hope to see a good battle in the trenches.