Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

5A #1 Covington Catholic at 5A #6 Highlands Predictions

Who wins? 139 members have voted

  1. 1. Who wins?

    • Highlands
      15%
    • Covington Catholic
      84%

This poll is closed to new votes

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

Here we go. Who wins this one? Will Highlands strike back with an upset victory and reignite this rivalry or will CovCath take a 3 win streak?

  • Replies 128
  • Views 22.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Highlands has been playing some good ball. But this is Covington Catholic team is a different animal. My answer is no. Covington Catholic comfortably.

I agree, The Colonels do look very comfortable right now...

It is extremely difficult for me to pick against my Birds. But this Cov Cath team is for reals. Hopefully it’s not too bad.

 

I would like permission to elaborate on how I believe it would be possible for Highlands to pull off the upset. Highlands passing game catches fire, both deep and short range. Surprise appearance of Huddy on O. Special teams scores. They will have to get to the QB (against the best o line in Nky history). And a pick 6 and/or a scoop and score. I think all those things would have to happen.

 

Colonels have talent and then more talent. They don’t have weaknesses and can control the ball and time. It will have to be one of those magic games.

 

I love you Birds! It can’t happen unless you believe!

Where are they playing at.

  • Author
Where are they playing at.

 

Ft. Thomas

The game is at Highlands.

I’ll plan on getting there early.

I know all about the super stars for the Colonels. I know the O Line is ridiculous, that they mow down teams and have all been starting multiple years but that’s all I know. What’s O Line scouting report? What is the Dline like? Do McGuinnes and Coldiron both start in the secondary most of the time? Is there a weak link on the D? I’ve heard a couple teams have moved the ball effectively against them through the air?

 

Should be a great game to go see. Hopefully home field advantage and longtime rivalry factors favor the Birds.

  • Author

Highlands has a very good record against CovCath (49-19). Highlands is ranked 2nd in the nation in total wins (as of 2015). Highlands is a legendary HS football program to say the least. CovCath's win streak so far is very small in comparison to the overall picture of how this rivalry has been since 2006.

Cov Cath by no less than 28.

CovCath will probably get the running clock going. But I am taking the Birds in a 1 point upset.

Edited by bugatti

Cov Cath will deflate the Birds before halftime. I see at least a 4 TD lead by then. Offensive line will dominate. Who will cover Coldiron and Meyer let alone stop McGinness?

I know all about the super stars for the Colonels. I know the O Line is ridiculous, that they mow down teams and have all been starting multiple years but that’s all I know. What’s O Line scouting report? What is the Dline like? Do McGuinnes and Coldiron both start in the secondary most of the time? Is there a weak link on the D? I’ve heard a couple teams have moved the ball effectively against them through the air?

 

Should be a great game to go see. Hopefully home field advantage and longtime rivalry factors favor the Birds.

 

Offensively, you have to pass the ball effectively to beat Covington Catholic. You have to use quick routes and use the short passing game for ball control. Beechwood had a great offensive game plan versus Covington Catholic and that is what it was built around - the short passing game. Highlands will have to adjust their offensive strategy. The slower developing routes are not going to work and the long passes will not work because the Highlands QB will not have time to throw the ball.

 

It is very difficult to run the ball against Covington Catholic. Let me repeat that for Highlands fans - you will not be able to run the ball on Covington Catholic. Here are what opponents have done rushing versus CCH this year:

 

Ryle ..... 76 yards

Henry Clay ... -14 yards

Cooper ... -7 yards

Kings ... 89 yards

Beechwood ... 59 yards

Columbus de Sales ... 37 yards

 

The key to have any offensive effectiveness versus the CCH defense is the short passing game. Attack their corners.

 

CCH fans will have to confirm some of this but I am pretty sure Coldiron stays out there on defense. I don't think McGuiness plays much on defense but they will play him on occasion when feel they need him to get a stop.

 

CCH D line is not that big.

 

Offensively, I think CCH is going to run right at Highlands more than they do most teams. Eviston likes to go wide and spread the defense out, use jet sweeps, bubble screens, etc. But I think with Highlands' small line and speed behind the line CCH is going to go right at Highlands and try to overpower them.

 

Coldiron and Mayer are so big and fast it is very difficult to defend them. All Jacob has to do is get the ball up high and those two will make catches and plays.

 

Prediction - Highlands fans are going to complain about poor tackling. McGuiness is stronger than you might expect and is very good on his feet. He has great balance, knows how to play off of a hit and is very elusive. He uses that Leveon Bell stop and go style of running, makes great cuts and then takes off. He has very good speed but speed is not what makes him good. It is his balance, vision, and great explosion out of cuts that make him such a good back.

 

Sorry but I think it is a long night for Highlands. It is just a bad matchup. What a team needs to have athletically and do well to beat CCH is not what Highlands has or does.

One in a million huh?.....So you’re saying there’s a chance!

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.