Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

5A #1 Covington Catholic at 5A #6 Highlands Predictions

Who wins? 139 members have voted

  1. 1. Who wins?

    • Highlands
      15%
    • Covington Catholic
      84%

This poll is closed to new votes

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

To keep the game from becoming a running clock HHS offence will need to give the defense some rest. The one run and two pass then done is not going to cut it. The defense is much improved but they need time off the field.

 

If the starting QB is not able to complete the short route up the field pass then JV QB needs to come in and take over. Also it will be a along night if HHS does not make changes with personnel and start playing guys both ways.

  • Replies 128
  • Views 22.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Author
I’m very familiar with that season and don’t recall CCH a predominant favorite that season. When Frisk was forced to leave CCH and he became a Bird, anything could happen that year.

 

Do you know of any CovCath upset playoff wins? All I know is 2006 from Maxpreps. I never found CovCath's past season stats on their website.

CCH is clearly the favorite, but I think the early running clock claims are a bit of an extreme. Let’s look at some common opponents. CCH beat BW by 35. BW barely beat SK, while HHS dominated SK. Not saying this is a perfect formula, but nothing this year shows HHS should get blown out in this one. I think it’s closer than many expect.

 

This is where you need to go a little deeper than just the score. Beechwood had over 500 yards offense against Simon Kenton. Highlands had just 240 yards of offense against Highlands. Simon Kenton played more than half the game against Highlands with their freshman QB due to injuries and still put up 260 yards of offense versus Highlands. Beechwood gave up a prevent defense TD in the last minute that got the score to 28-21. In addition, Beechwood threw an INT in the end zone when they had a first and goal at the 5. That Beechwood Simon Kenton score could have easily been 35-14 Beechwood.

 

Bottom line, using the Simon Kenton scores is not a good way to try and analyze what could happen in this game. I don't think it will be a first half running clock, but I am not going to be shocked if it is. I will be more surprised if Highlands is within 3 TD's of CCH than I will if it is a running clock.

Frisk was a great player for sure, but the Colonels still had a lot more college calliber guys on their side than Highlands did that year.

2001 was a Cov Cath upset over Highlands.

1997 would have been a Cov Cath upset.

 

I don’t know, everyone knew both teams were really good. It was pretty evenly matched, slightly favoring Highlands going into mud bowl.

I don’t know, everyone knew both teams were really good. It was pretty evenly matched, slightly favoring Highlands going into mud bowl.

 

Game was a tossup. CovCath missed a field goal at the buzzer in the regular season game that would have won the game in Park Hills. Over the years, the legend has cast the game into a David vs. Goliath match up that just wasn't the case.

What Colonels are out for this game?

 

I believe Lucas Jones and Shriver are two. Jones is might be the best OL in NKY. I assume they're both still out??

I'm just glad to have this a real conversation game again. It was a rough couple of years for the Birds. I'm not sure the Birds have the horses quite yet to win this one, but I do know a couple of things...

 

1. It's at Highlands and that's not the easiest play to come in and win.

 

2. ANYTHING can happen in this rivalry.

 

I hope its the greatest game ever...oh...and the Birds squeak out the win! ;)

 

#FLIPTHATSCRIPT

I believe Lucas Jones and Shriver are two. Jones is might be the best OL in NKY. I assume they're both still out??

 

Assume away...

A CCH win would make 3 in a row for the Colonels. What are the longest win streaks in the rivalry?

I believe CCH will control the clock and put up big rushing numbers on HHS. CCH is far more disciplined and that will be the real difference maker in this game.

CCH by 28.

13. Within reason, you must use correct spelling, capitalization, punctuation, and grammar when posting on the forums.

A CCH win would make 3 in a row for the Colonels. What are the longest win streaks in the rivalry?

Before the last couple seasons, CovCath hadn’t won in about a decade.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.