5A #1 Covington Catholic vs 5A #6 Highlands

CCHDynasty

Who wins?  

139 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

To keep the game from becoming a running clock HHS offence will need to give the defense some rest. The one run and two pass then done is not going to cut it. The defense is much improved but they need time off the field.

If the starting QB is not able to complete the short route up the field pass then JV QB needs to come in and take over. Also it will be a along night if HHS does not make changes with personnel and start playing guys both ways.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m very familiar with that season and don’t recall CCH a predominant favorite that season. When Frisk was forced to leave CCH and he became a Bird, anything could happen that year.

Do you know of any CovCath upset playoff wins? All I know is 2006 from Maxpreps. I never found CovCath's past season stats on their website.

CCH is clearly the favorite, but I think the early running clock claims are a bit of an extreme. Let’s look at some common opponents. CCH beat BW by 35. BW barely beat SK, while HHS dominated SK. Not saying this is a perfect formula, but nothing this year shows HHS should get blown out in this one. I think it’s closer than many expect.

This is where you need to go a little deeper than just the score. Beechwood had over 500 yards offense against Simon Kenton. Highlands had just 240 yards of offense against Highlands. Simon Kenton played more than half the game against Highlands with their freshman QB due to injuries and still put up 260 yards of offense versus Highlands. Beechwood gave up a prevent defense TD in the last minute that got the score to 28-21. In addition, Beechwood threw an INT in the end zone when they had a first and goal at the 5. That Beechwood Simon Kenton score could have easily been 35-14 Beechwood.

Bottom line, using the Simon Kenton scores is not a good way to try and analyze what could happen in this game. I don't think it will be a first half running clock, but I am not going to be shocked if it is. I will be more surprised if Highlands is within 3 TD's of CCH than I will if it is a running clock.

1997 would have been a Cov Cath upset.

I don’t know, everyone knew both teams were really good. It was pretty evenly matched, slightly favoring Highlands going into mud bowl.

I don’t know, everyone knew both teams were really good. It was pretty evenly matched, slightly favoring Highlands going into mud bowl.

Game was a tossup. CovCath missed a field goal at the buzzer in the regular season game that would have won the game in Park Hills. Over the years, the legend has cast the game into a David vs. Goliath match up that just wasn't the case.

I'm just glad to have this a real conversation game again. It was a rough couple of years for the Birds. I'm not sure the Birds have the horses quite yet to win this one, but I do know a couple of things...

1. It's at Highlands and that's not the easiest play to come in and win.

2. ANYTHING can happen in this rivalry.

I hope its the greatest game ever...oh...and the Birds squeak out the win! ;)

#FLIPTHATSCRIPT