CCH 29 HHS 27 part deux

jpa2825

Keep it to the game, per The Guru

Critical Plays:

1 - With 1:06 remaining in the 4th Qtr., HHS gets 1st & Goal at the 1. Clock stops for the 1st down. Once ball is spotted, HHS has 25 seconds to snap the ball. They snap too quick and 0:51 is left on the clock when they kick off. As this game showed, 10 seconds can be a lifetime. (Some would argue that you take a knee for a down or 2 to run clock or make CCH burn TOs. Try to score on next play or 2 and, worst case, kick tying FG on 4th down. I disagree, but the theory is with this strategy you control things with either a later TD or tying FG.)

2 - 2d play of CCH drive, HHS rushes only 2 and drops 9 into coverage. Somehow HHS actually gets pressure on QB and almost sacks him. Somehow with 9 people in coverage against 3 or 4 CCH receivers, Bovard gets open for the big gain.

3 - 3rd & 2ish for CCH on final drive. Quick out to Bovard for the 1st down. Viewing the play live at the game, it looked like Bovard caught the pass with his left knee on the carpet. Upon reviewing using TiVo to get Slo-Mo, it looks like the knee is down, but a lot closer than I thought it would be. he gets up and is able to get out of bounds to stop the clock. Granted, the clock stops for the 1st down regardless, but with the ball out of bounds, CCH can set up as normal rather than having to either burn a TO or rushing to the line of scrimmage to call a play quickly. Couple of seconds could have been very important.

Great game. Great setting. Hope 2 weeks is as good a game with a different result.

P.S. I certainly hope HHS sends the repair bill for the broken and bent bleachers in the CCH student section to CCH for payment. Didn't necessarily look like anything intentional, just exuberance & lots of jumping up & down during the game I expect.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Critical Plays:

1 - With 1:06 remaining in the 4th Qtr., HHS gets 1st & Goal at the 1. Clock stops for the 1st down. Once ball is spotted, HHS has 25 seconds to snap the ball. They snap too quick and 0:51 is left on the clock when they kick off. As this game showed, 10 seconds can be a lifetime. (Some would argue that you take a knee for a down or 2 to run clock or make CCH burn TOs. Try to score on next play or 2 and, worst case, kick tying FG on 4th down. I disagree, but the theory is with this strategy you control things with either a later TD or tying FG.)

2 - 2d play of CCH drive, HHS rushes only 2 and drops 9 into coverage. Somehow HHS actually gets pressure on QB and almost sacks him. Somehow with 9 people in coverage against 3 or 4 CCH receivers, Bovard gets open for the big gain.

3 - 3rd & 2ish for CCH on final drive. Quick out to Bovard for the 1st down. Viewing the play live at the game, it looked like Bovard caught the pass with his left knee on the carpet. Upon reviewing using TiVo to get Slo-Mo, it looks like the knee is down, but a lot closer than I thought it would be. he gets up and is able to get out of bounds to stop the clock. Granted, the clock stops for the 1st down regardless, but with the ball out of bounds, CCH can set up as normal rather than having to either burn a TO or rushing to the line of scrimmage to call a play quickly. Couple of seconds could have been very important.

Great game. Great setting. Hope 2 weeks is as good a game with a different result.

P.S. I certainly hope HHS sends the repair bill for the broken and bent bleachers in the CCH student section to CCH for payment. Didn't necessarily look like anything intentional, just exuberance & lots of jumping up & down during the game I expect.

I thought HHS should have huddled at the end and either made CCH take a timeout or snap the ball with around 40 seconds on the game clock. If you don't score you take your first TO with about 20 Sec. left in the game. Worst case is CCH is made to take it's TO's. HHS gave them at least an extra 15-17 sec's by not using more of the play clock.

The last part relates to the game how?

sounds like sour grapes from jpa2825. this was a nice clean and well reffed game. just curious how old were the bleachers? also why was the final score never put up on the scoreboard?

The main part of the bleachers was constructed in the 50's. However, every other year we get new benches on the right side of the stands thanks to the Cov. Cathies.:D

I too felt like the game was refed well. They seemed to really let the teams play. Sure there are always going to be questionable calls, but all in all I felt like the refs did a decent job.

Man O Man what an awesome game. The team from Ft. Thomas was certainly true Champions last night. They never quit they just ran of time.

All of the CCH faithful are very happy for the boys from Park Hill’s to take home the “W” last night. But IT’S the one in two weeks that’s REALLY going to matter. Savor the taste for now but never loose focus on the prize. Now it’s one and done.

Enjoy your extra hour tomorrow, Get to Mass early and start preparing for November 11.. Because you KNOW the boys from Ft. Thomas already have.

:fight: :fight: :fight: :fight:

I haven't heard anyone mention the missed field goal by HHS. Not that it lost the game for them because I never feel one play wins or loses a game but that was big. Especially since it would've made the game winning touchdown the potential tying touchdown...or winning if Rodenberg has a pair...

I haven't heard anyone mention the missed field goal by HHS. Not that it lost the game for them because I never feel one play wins or loses a game but that was big. Especially since it would've made the game winning touchdown the potential tying touchdown...or winning if Rodenberg has a pair...

You can "what if" yourself to death...sometimes you have to take your losses and move on.

We can add but I have never been to a game where the opposing team doesn't display the final score!! Makes you wonder why.....:confused:

What's to wonder. The clock guy is a teacher. Not a professional. By the time the CCH players stopped jumping around he was probably putting the scoreboard in the coaches office. What makes you wonder is why a bunch of fans who haven't won this game in 12 years can't just be happy and have to harp on something that's completely irrelevant.

My team lost and I have less complaints that some CCH posters...

You can "what if" yourself to death...sometimes you have to take your losses and move on.

Um...thanks.

For the record, I don't have a problem with the loss. I think CCH played as well as they can and HHS just played good. I also never thought either team would beat the other twice this season...